Could it be?

bstime5

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! With the D25 Corona I cannot find it’s serial number on the Guild dating page, I was going by what was told to me by the Guild collector I purchased it from, but I see now that Guild didn’t change hands until after 2000. And now that I look at the DV6 label it says NT so I think cedar is out. It sure does have a nice vintage look to it tho.
I will give the silk and steel strings a shot!

bstime5

Reaction score
CPM000230 is the D25 serial number. Be nice to know what year it was really built if anyone knows?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
CPM000230 is the D25 serial number. Be nice to know what year it was really built if anyone knows?
Yep absolutely a Corona prefix.
I'm gonna guess that #230 is low enough to be an '02, but they were only made for about 2 years in Corona, anyway.
By the spring '04 price list, the D25 was replaced by the Chinese-made GAD-25.
Then Corona was shut down in late '04 and Fender moved Guild production to the newly-acquired Tacoma Guitar factory in Washington.
Pretty sure Hans Moust can nail it down if you want to be sure.
He's been organizing his Corona s/n records for quite a while now.
http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/
Thanks for the info guys! With the D25 Corona I cannot find it’s serial number on the Guild dating page
Fender got lazy about updating s/n info after the move to Corona.
Hans Moust has verified the numbers don't go past '97 even though some wording implies they do.
I was going by what was told to me by the Guild collector I purchased it from
Understood, must not be a very serious collector, though, not to know the history.
.. but I see now that Guild didn’t change hands until after 2000.
In fact Fender's purchase of Guild was finalized in November of '95, while they were still in Westerly.
It's a common item of confusion, that misconception that Fender didn't acquire 'em until the move to Corona.
Kind of ironic when ignorant or disingenuous sellers tout late (post '95 )Westerlys as being from the period "Before Fender screwed 'em up".
In fact there's more than a few of us here who consider that period to be one of Westerly's high points.
One of the guys who was there at the times explained that QC reached a high point under Fender in Westerly, he meant they achieved the highest pass rate percentage due to Fender implementing a check list system to ensure no QC steps were missed.
I think the '96's in particular show Fender was on a mission in that regard, in their first practical year of ownership.
Not to dismiss Corona quality (I have a Corona D40 myself), although there actually were some teething pains that gave the brand rep a black eye there.
And now that I look at the DV6 label it says NT so I think cedar is out. It sure does have a nice vintage look to it tho.
My bad, forgot whether that was part of the cedar-topped label ID (think all the cedars were "Natural"), but means "Natural Top".
Yes, most likely sitka, but they had really great wood at the time.
Seems like they always did, actually.
EDIT: Y'know what, just saw the pic on Imgur and I see what you mean now, it is definitely a different shade than the JF-30-12 and the D4, but maybe it's due to the finish and/or the camera angle too.
Is it an "HR" (Hand Rubbed) finish?
That might explain it, otherwise I'd give Hans a "call" to be sure.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

bstime5

Reaction score
Yes, it’s definitely a darker shade and the wood grain is really tight. Maybe I am just mistaken the different quality of sound for the possibility of it being cedar. Yes it is a HR finish. For now I’ll go with ‘02 on the D25.
Thx!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Hmmmm scratching head ... CPM ummm Custom shop ? 😁 02 ish like Al said , I’m riding his coat tails ! Lol

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm scratching head ... CPM ummm Custom shop ? �� 02 ish like Al said , I’m riding his coat tails ! Lol
:smile:
No, it's just that all Corona prefixes were 3 letters beginning with a "C". The second 2 letters seem to have ID'd the specific model and the number was actual production sequence number, as far as I've seen and can recall.
True Custom Shop Guilds whether acoustic or electric and Nashville or Corona were always labeled or decaled as such.
(Not to be confused with the "Handcrafted in Corona" decal that appeared on all acoustics until they apparently ran out)
As for Corona D25's I really don't think they actually made any in '04 because of the introduction of the GAD25, but I'm sure Hans would know.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
:smile:
No, it's just that all Corona prefixes were 3 letters beginning with a "C". The second 2 letters seem to have ID'd the specific model and the number was actual production sequence number, as far as I've seen and can recall.
True Custom Shop Guilds whether acoustic or electric and Nashville or Corona were always labeled or decaled as such.
(Not to be confused with the "Handcrafted in Corona" decal that appeared on all acoustics until they apparently ran out)
As for Corona D25's I really don't think they actually made any in '04 because of the introduction of the GAD25, but I'm sure Hans would know.

Cool thanks al for the correction . 😁
I thought the serials I seen would of made it the 02 I didn’t see anything earlier and the numbers listed in 03 seemed higher but like normal I must missed something , oh I wasn’t drinking that’s the error ! Lol

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Took a bit making a Flickr account. Let me know if the picture is visible.....

Nope. Right click and copy image location from flickr. Then paste here after hitting the "insert image" button that's in the ribbon.

And welcome to the boards! I see you've got a JF30-12. Mine is out of Corona and is my top 12-string. Fabulous guitar! Love Guild jumbos!

bstime5

Reaction score
RqfcL9

bstime5

Reaction score
I inserted url with picture icon, but I can’t see anything. I have to say with today’s technology, it is quite difficult to post a picture on this site. Let me know if you see it, I cannot.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I inserted url with picture icon, but I can’t see anything. I have to say with today’s technology, it is quite difficult to post a picture on this site. Let me know if you see it, I cannot.

You need the BBcode for posting in forums . It should list that option though I’m not up on flicker if that’s what your using . 🙂

bstime5

Reaction score
It also says I may not post attachments.
The link I posted worked for most? Why not all? It’s just a link to a website.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Let me help you out. Flickr is a bit tricky. The good thing with Flickr is that you can select the correct picture size for forums.
From the BBcode just take the URL part that ends with jpg. Anything else is useless. In your case the correct link to post is: "https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4905/32435848668_1b3dcf422d_c.jpg"

If you use Imgur it is basically the same procedure but in Imgur I have not found how to select the size. Again you need a link ending in jpg. In your case: "https://i.imgur.com/lzphUSK.jpg"

Wonderful Guilds and a wonderful picture by the way!

32435848668_1b3dcf422d_c.jpg

Ralf

Last edited: