The Dreadmeister is temporarily down but not out

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
As someone who loves to sing (regardless of whether I'm good or entertaining) and does it regularly, my last hospital stay they showed up with this breath measuring thing (big plastic thing with a chamber that showed capacity and then a gauge showing the level and they insisted I'd have to do this thing before and after surgery and then 5 times per hour to make sure my lung capacity was good. Whatever. I blew into it and it went up to the top and then I stopped. She said, no..... see that range in the middle? Uh huh... keep it at that level for x amount of time. So I did my singing breath and blew........ kept that thing in the range for a super long time and finally she said, "Okay, that's good don't worry about it any more...." and no one tested me again. Now i'm sure my insurance was billed for the plastic thing they used and I doubt they use them over. What a waste but yeah.... singing is good for lung control and for breathing. So he's already ahead of the curve.....

I did the same thing during my surgery - the point of that "breathing" exercise to avoid getting pneumonia, i.e. keepng your lungs clear while you are laid up. It's an "incentive spirometer".

I'll tell you, I'd do that breathing thing all day rather than those crazy "leg pumps" they put on your legs to avoid blot clots. So f***ing annoying!

"Let me out of here!" was my daily mantra...

walrus

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well when it rains, it pours. I currently have the cold from Hell for the 2nd time in 2 months. Geez I was having a hard enough time breathing as it was!

So I have made the decision to not attend the Veterans Home Christmas caroling event this evening because I don't want to pass this on to anyone! I've got about 50 people gonna show up, but someone else is going to lead my group tonight. Which is OK, because we have plenty of talented volunteers.

I'd love to see everyone, but as my boss used to say "Discretion, being the better part of valor..."

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well when it rains, it pours. I currently have the cold from Hell for the 2nd time in 2 months. Geez I was having a hard enough time breathing as it was!
How are your teeth?
I just got told to say goodbye to one of my molars which had been pretty loose but not painful for about the last 9 months.
In spite of a daily regimen that included brushing, flossing, AND WaterPic-ing.
And in spite of 2 regular checkups and cleanings in that time my dentist didn't refer me to a periodontist until it was basically "too late".
Anyway, point is the gingivitis/periodontitis-causing bacteria can apparently lurk painlessly and asymptomatically while causing seemingly unrelated things such as frequent lung infections, because, you know, they're right there between where the air comes in and your lungs.
They get transported.
And bacteria, unlike viruses, aren't mapped out by your T-cells for future immunity.
They can keep coming back.
For that matter they're known to have an affinity for heart muscle, too, and they get into the bloodstream though your compromised gums.
Apparently periodontitis is inevitable for about 70% of the US population.
In case it helps you or any of our forum bothers and sisters to know.
This gettin' old thing, I'm gettin' kinda tired of it.
But old habits die hard.