How They Used To Do It

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
She did, and Graham Nash lived with her for some period of time. He wrote "Our House" about a totally normal morning, living with Joni in the Canyon.

How nice it must be to be living with a young Joni Mitchell and thinking it is perfectly normal...

walrus

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
:biggrin-new:

"Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except For Me and My Monkee"?

george_peter_sit_gui.jpg

OOOOHHHH!!!!
This is a new one!:
4a6f659cd5a8c22feeb59ce9ab64646b.jpg

BTW, after a second look I just noticed the damage to the amp!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
BTW, after a second look I just noticed the damage to the amp!

walrus

Yeah forgot about that, think the presence of equipment would rule out a hotel, but maybe one of the tour venues?
Walls with greenery in background could be a smaller venue.
It's how they used to do it back then.
:smile:

Last edited:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
How nice it must be to be living with a young Joni Mitchell and thinking it is perfectly normal...

walrus

The end of that relationship (and all of Ms. Mitchell's relationships ended) left Mr. Nash bitter. This is the song that resulted:

That's Jerry Garcia on pedal steel, Phil Lesh on bass, Cros' on guitar, and Neil Young on piano.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Quoting myself "again":
What was it about Laurel Canyon?
Isolated and private rural atmosphere only 15 or 20 minutes from the studios...
Laurel Canyon Blvd (where Jimi wrecked his 'Vette) actually straddles the mountain between Sunset Blvd on the south side and Studio City and Burbank where all the movie/TV studios were, on the other:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/sunset+Blvd,+Studio+City,+CA/@34.1118722,-118.3604019,13z
The Wrecking Crew backed the Mamas and the Papas for "California Dreamin' " and "Monday Monday" at Western Recorders on Sunset Blvd:
http://jerrygarciasbrokendownpalace...6/western-recorders-6000-west-sunset-and.html
In '66 Jefferson Airplane would have been in LA residence while recording Surrealistic Pillow at RCA's studio B, 6363 Sunset Blvd:
http://jerrygarciasbrokendownpalaces.blogspot.com/2012/11/rcas-studio-b-6363-sunset-boulevard.html
The Doors would have been recording The Doors and Strange Days around the same time at Sunset Studios (founded by Walt Disney, no less!), down the road a piece at 6650 Sunset Blvd...
Speaking of Joni, Ladies of the Canyon was recorded at A&M Studios within a stone's throw of Sunset, founded by Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss:
"In 1966, Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss purchased the studio from CBS to serve as a headquarters for A&M Records.[13] A&M Records had grown from $500,000 in revenues in 1964 to $30 million in 1967. Alpert and Moss reportedly "astonished the big network by having their bank deliver a cashier's check for more than $1 million, the full amount." A&M converted two of the old soundstages and Chaplin's swimming pool into a recording studio.[11] A 1968 profile on Alpert and Moss described their renovation of Chaplin's old studios:
The old sound stages are in the process of being completely rebuilt into what must be the most luxurious and pleasant recording studios in the world. Chaplin's cement footprints are one of the few reminders of the past.[20]
.. A&M Records first release was Tijuana Brass' "the Lonely Bull" although the track itself was recorded by (you guessed it) the Wrecking Crew:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lonely_Bull
But apparently the top dog for AM singles and Phil Spector's favorite digs was Gold Star Studios; a bit off the beaten track on Santa Monica Blvd:
"The studio was renowned for its echo chambers. According to Gold, who designed the chambers after years of research and experimentation, they were built in an area of about 20 ft (6.1 m) x 20 ft and were complementary trapezoids 18 ft (5.5 m) long. The walls were thick, specially-formulated cement plaster on heavy isolation forms. Entry into the chambers was through a series of 2 ft (0.61 m) by 2 ft doors, and the opening was only about 20 in (51 cm) wide and high.[2]
Gold Star was responsible for what is believed to be the first commercial use of the production technique called flanging, which was featured on the single "The Big Hurt" by Toni Fisher. Another of Gold's innovations was a small transmitter that allowed him to broadcast mixes so that they could be picked up on a nearby car radio, which was especially important to recording artists in the era when AM radio was the dominant broadcast medium.[3] (Talk about "How they used to do it"!!)
According to Wiki this is where "Good Vibrations" was recorded.
Given Dennis' presence in the clip that kicked off the thread, probably when the surf wasn't "up".
:smile:

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Oh, nice! I never saw that before! Could that be Hendrix at Tork's house? Free concert by the pool? Oh my!

Further research indicates that Peter did indeed have Jimi over to the house, along with Buddy Miles of the Electric Flag:
https://www.monkeeslivealmanac.com/blog/category/jimi hendrix
kleinlastminutemonkees.jpg

Since that's credited to a June '68 fanzine, and those were notoriously predated as much as 2 -3 months out (it was how they did it back then); that likely happened in early '68.
Further solidifying the Hendrix/Stills/Tork connection, apparently Jimi first met Buddy at a jam session at Stills' house in Malibu in '67...must have been before Stills started renting Pete's place in '69, when Pete was obviously letting himself go:
TorkHippie70.jpg

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That's ID'd by Google Image search as "[FONT="][U][I][B][URL="https://iconicimages.net/photo/ec-jh065-jimi-hendrix-and-rodney-bingenheimer/"]American singer-songwriter and guitarist, Jimi Hendrix talking with radio disc jockey Rodney Bingenheimer during a rehearsal ahead of The Jimi Hendrix Experience performed at the Hollywood Bowl, California, August 18, 1967[/URL][/B][/I][/U]."[/FONT]

So Peter and Rodney were twins separated at birth?
:highly_amused:
(But ya gotta wonder. Sure looks like Pete to me.
Guess it's just the haircut.
And you can understand why it was so easy to assume it WAS Peter.)
In any case, thanks for the detective work!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
So Peter and Rodney were twins separated at birth?
:highly_amused:
(But ya gotta wonder. Sure looks like Pete to me.
Guess it's just the haircut.
And you can understand why it was so easy to assume it WAS Peter.)
In any case, thanks for the detective work!

I was hoping to find more photos from the session, and I just assumed it was at Thorkelson's house in Laurel Canyon. My initial reaction was "who the hell is Bingenheimer, and why are people confusing Tork with him?"

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
tr39Ve2l.jpg
[/IMG]

Rodney was definitely Tork-ish!

walrus

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
What did I miss here? ^^^

Ralph

Post 30? Explaining that's not really Pete next to Jimi on amp?

Or the missing (for me at the moment, anyway) image in post 33? (which I assume is a pic of DJ Rodney Bingenheimer, not to be confused with Captain Binghamton
ch60a2.JPG

That was a different network entirely.
IN the meantime, it occurred to me last night that I overlooked another character that it could be said the Beach boys introduced to America, even if America didn't know it at the time:
Glenn Campbell
BeachBoysPittsfield66001.jpg

Filling in for Brian on the aforementioned tour.

IN fact, now that I think about it, he played for both bands!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkees_(album)
"Papa Gene's Blues"
Written by Michael Nesmith
Lead vocal: Michael Nesmith
Harmony vocal: Micky Dolenz
Guitars: Peter Tork, James Burton, Glen Campbell, Al Casey, James Helms, Don Peake
Bass: William Pitman
Drums: Hal Blaine, Frank DeVito,
Percussion: Gary Coleman, Jim Gordon (vibraslap)
Recorded at Western Recorders Studio 2, Hollywood, California; July 7, 1966 (8:00 p.m.–11:30 p.m.)
Producer: Michael Nesmith
First album pressing features title incorrectly listed as "Papa Jean's Blues"

Note also Pete actually plays on this tune.
Uness it was Rodney Bingenheimer standing in for him...

Last edited: