High E string is getting caught

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I'm new here and have a question. My High E string keeps getting caught in a couple of my Frets, 3 and 4 respectively. I don't have any authorised repair place near me. Should I try tapping the edge of the frets down with a small hammer or Fill the gap between the edge of the fret and the binding with "something"? I'm pretty handy and I build CBGs BUT... my D55 is my Baby and I'm just being overly cautious! It only happens when I get into a nice Jam. Thanks for any advice I can get : )

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. I'm not going to offer any advice but there are a couple folks whose advice I would trust and they will be along. In the mean time, pictures would help. The short answer is you need to upload/host them somewhere else and then link to them here. I can get you teh long answer if you need it :)

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome Gordon! Glad you found your way here ok.

Sounds like you have a couple of lifting fret ends.
Hammering them back down probably won’t do much good, otherwise they wouldn’t have lifted in the first place. When the frets were installed, the little tangs that are supposed to grip the wood leave little divots which, over time, with wood’s shrinkage, can lose their grip.
I wouldn’t put a filler in, because you might get fret buzz from too high frets. The best solution is to glue them back down with CA glue. You need to be care with this. Wax the fingerboardaround the fret so the glue doesn’t stick where you don’t want it. Protect the neck from drips. Hold the guitar on its side and apply a clamp to hold the fret end down. Then you can wick some of the thin viscosity variety of CA glue (cyanoacrylate or crazy glue) under the fret. Keep it clamped! It doesn’t dry as fast as you think (unless it gets on your fingers.) Wipe up, quickly, any drips. After a few minutes you can unclamp and it should stay.

That’s pretty much what a luthier would do, short of a partial refret.

Goid luck!

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had to glue a fret end on one of my DV-7Xs (can't recall which one, now)... I used water-thin CA superglue from Stewart MacDonald. With strings off (or at least moved out of the way, I used a micropipette (I kept a few when I closed down my research lab) to run a few microliters of CA along both sides of the offending fret end, then quickly clamped the fret down with a Shubb capo (set tighter than one would use when playing). Worked like a charm, and has held for a couple years now.

Reaction score
D55 Fret Problem

Hi Everyone,
I have a Beautiful D55, 2009. I recently noticed the high E string gets caught in either the 3rd or 4th Fret when I really get jamming and I have to run a fingernail down the string to dislodge it. I'm a bit of an Amateur Luthier (Mostly Strats and CBGs) but I'm super cautious with my Gal. I'm nowhere near an authorized repair shop and wonder if I could get some advise. Should I lightly Tap down on the lower edge of the offending Frets to close the slight gap (Afraid it could effect the rest of the fret), or try and fill it with "something"? Thanks for any advice I can get.

Gordo

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Decided to merge duplicates. No harm, no foul. About three more approvals and your posts should appear when you post.