Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neck reset?

Sure looks to me like you need a reset.
    Dave

1989 D25 - 1990 D30 - 2000 Blues 90 - 2003 S7CE - 2011 D-50 Std - 2013 DD6RCE
    '96 Taylor 555 - '10 Jacobs Jagcaster - '13 Martin 000-28EC - 13 G&L Tribute JB2 - '16 Gibson ES-335 - '17 Jacobs Strat
    Dr. Z Cure - Fender Super Champ - Fishman Loudbox Mini - SWR 2X10C

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1018446

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dapmdave View Post
    Dave works for Jacobs Custom Guitars http://www.jacobscustomguitars.com/ which is probably the most recommended (on LTG) repair facility for Guilds. I'd believe him.

Reset prices vary but I'd say at least $400 and perhaps double that on the West coast. Also note that the quotes don't always include the same work. There are other mechanical (and perhaps cosmetic) tweaks that are often done with resets. Some folks include those in their quote but others don't and expect you to ask if you want them.

You should also be open to the possibility that, as a beginning player you might not notice the things that would be corrected by a reset. Indeed it could be as you improve, you start looking for other things in an instrument and for your playing purposes there may be better investments to make than a reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Quite possibly both that and the belly fix .
    Tough the pic is blurry kind of looks like the bridge was possibly reglued to ? I get that from the whites lines around the bottom though could be trick of the light.

That bridge looks quite thick, I'd try shaving that down first and re taper the pin holes

This is a 1970 vintage instrument, dose it have the label inside saying where it was made.
    The bridge looks like the long thin tapered of that area
    I have a D40 69 or 70 that has similar issues, these are great made and sounding guitars
    And deserve the attention of a good luthier.
    dapmdave what can be done for a belly in the top ?

Please don't ruin the bridge by shaving it. If you don't want to spend for a neck reset, sell it to someone who will. I was lucky to get one of two NOS Brazilian rosewood bridges from Hans Moust to put my D 35 right. Likely your bridge is Brazilian. These old guitars should be well cared for. If it is a '70 it might have a Hoboken label, but that is meaningless as the guitar was made in Westerly.

This is just a part of the responsibility that comes from being caretaker to an old guitar. Maybe you don't remember when folks used to route out their 50s Teles for humbuckers. Ouch.

This era Guild is going to be a special guitar, built light before Guild and everyone else went to heavier guitars. With the break angle a reset will give you, the guitar will come alive.
    Last edited by Br1ck; 12-16-2018 at 02:15 AM.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by wileypickett View Post
    ...Before springing for a neck reset, I would recommend you consider the possibility of installing a Bridge Doctor...
    +1, especially for anyone who may be hesitant or presently unable to invest in a neck reset. There are two versions of the JLD Bridge Doctor available:

Screw Mount - requires drilling a hole through your bridge to secure the bridge doctor components to the bridgeplate.

Brass Pin Mount - completely non-destructive. Replaces your bridge pins with special brass pins (one of which acts to secure the bridge doctor components to the bridgeplate. The balance of the pins may be used to secure the strings, or you can use 5 of your existing pins in the remaining 5 open holes.

I have installed both styles on guitars of various makes and models. I believe the JLD Bridge Doctor to be an effective tool. For many, it may be just the trick to restore a playable action and work satisfactorily for a good long while. For others, it may convincingly demonstrate the benefit to be gained by going ahead with a neck reset.
    - Christopher

1975 F-212 NT (overhaul started in 2016)
    1975 F-212 NT
    1976 F-50R NT
    1976 F-512 NT (Overhauled in 2010)
    1980 F-412 NT (Overhauled in 2014)
    1988 (G)F-60R NT

Diagnosed in childhood with a CLWEA genetic predisposition
    CLWEA is an acronym for Can't Leave Well Enough Alone

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Cozad View Post
    I believe the JLD Bridge Doctor to be an effective tool. For many, it may be just the trick to restore a playable action and work satisfactorily for a good long while.

As you can tell from my message above, I swear by 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by philfish View Post
    dapmdave what can be done for a belly in the top ?
    That's hard to say without an "in-hand" assessment, philfish.
    Dave

1989 D25 - 1990 D30 - 2000 Blues 90 - 2003 S7CE - 2011 D-50 Std - 2013 DD6RCE
    '96 Taylor 555 - '10 Jacobs Jagcaster - '13 Martin 000-28EC - 13 G&L Tribute JB2 - '16 Gibson ES-335 - '17 Jacobs Strat
    Dr. Z Cure - Fender Super Champ - Fishman Loudbox Mini - SWR 2X10C

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1018446

Should we be suggesting / requesting he post a better picture of the saddle before investing in a Bridge Doctor? Maybe just shaving the saddle can be a 25 minute $0 fix for several more years of playing with good action.....However, the guitar being over 45 years old, it has done well if this would be its first neck reset.
    Last edited by billymox; 12-28-2018 at 04:59 AM.

1994 Guild DV-62 Herringbone
    2011 Guild F-30R Standard N.H.
    2004 Guild GAD-50 Burst
    Eastman AC422CE
    Eastman AC512OM
    Seagull Artist Studio Concert Hall Element OM Burst
    Fishman Loudbox Artist

Caution: me singing a Christian song
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfM4wJZUYoE