Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neck reset?

Neck reset?

Hi, I have a 1969 Guild F-30 that I believe is in need of a neck reset. Being that I don't know how to upload (download?) a photo I 'll have to try and explain. By putting a straight edge on the fret board and bringing the straight edge up to the bridge it sits about 3/16" below the top of the bridge. Hope this helps. By the way how do I get a photo on here? Thanks, Paul
    1969 Guild F-30NT
    1969 Stella H943

Paul:
    Do you play all over the fret board or stay on first five, mostly? How does it play? You can "buy" a little "neck reset" time unless you play, regularly, in a group for money or you have your mind made up.

Some of my friends had a "bolt on" neck replace the original dovetail neck and are very satisfied.
    1971 Guild D40 "Guild Guitar Inc" label SN 55360
    2001 Chris Bozung Rosewood Dred - Antique Sunburst - "A Dozen Roses"
    2011 Chris Bozung CB "45" Brazilian Rosewood Dread

Quote Originally Posted by hdrider57 View Post
    Hi, I have a 1969 Guild F-30 that I believe is in need of a neck reset. Being that I don't know how to upload (download?) a photo I 'll have to try and explain. By putting a straight edge on the fret board and bringing the straight edge up to the bridge it sits about 3/16" below the top of the bridge. Hope this helps. By the way how do I get a photo on here? Thanks, Paul
    https://imgur.com/

It's free. Just upload there and then you have an option from the photo. You want to select the option I circled. If you paste that in your message here you're good to go.

BTW, how low is the saddle? You can also buy time, sometimes, by shaving the saddle.
    ----------------------------------
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    20?? Guild AO-3CE (MIM)
    2014 Guild Savoy 150A Sunburst (MIK)

Soundcloud - Cat's In The Crade (D40C)

Using a straight edge is a good place to start in terms determining whether you need a neck reset but there are multiple factors/considerations.

This article on checking neck angle is pretty comprehensive but also brief and easy to follow.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...neckangle.html

Hope this worked for neck reset
    1969 Guild F-30NT
    1969 Stella H943

Ok , got the photo. I'm just a beginning player so right now just playing the first 5 frets. I had some buzzing so I had the nut raise a little because it looked like someone deepen the slots in the nut.
    1969 Guild F-30NT
    1969 Stella H943

The saddle height is hard to see in that photo but it looks like there really isnít any saddle left to speak of. If thatís the case youíre almost certainly in reset territory, but how is the action with the current setup?

4/32" at the 14th fret.....Just curious as to what it could cost for a reset.
    Thanks for all your help.
    1969 Guild F-30NT
    1969 Stella H943

Hello HDR57,

Before springing for a neck reset, I would recommend you consider the possibility of installing a Bridge Doctor. They're made to reduce the bellying that often occurs behind the bridge -- the effects of decades of string pull.

Your photograph may be misleading, but it appears to me that there is significant bellying behind the bridge of your guitar. You can tell how much by laying a straight-edge across the lower bouts, parallel to the bridge, and seeing how much of gap there is between the center of the top, where the bridge is, and the edges. It's not unusual to find 1/8" to 1/4" variance, meaning that your bridge may be riding that much higher than it should be.

The Bridge Doctor flattens the top, which lowers the bridge and eliminates any bridge tilt, which can improve intonation. It also anchors the bridge to the top of the guitar -- bellied tops often cause bridge-lift, which occurs because a flat surface (the bridge) won't adhere very well to a curved surface (the top of your guitar).

Can you slide a thin piece of paper under the back edges of the bridge?

You may also find that the Bridge Doctor improves the sound of your instrument, either because it allows the top to perform the way it was originally meant to, or because the the BD transfers sound energy directly from the bridge to the sides of the guitar, as the maker claims. Or both, I suppose.

BD's are cheap -- the basic model you can find for under 25 bucks, including shipping -- and they're relatively easy to put in. I've installed them on more than a dozen guitars over the years and have had positive results every time.

Always the top is flattened and works efficiently again. Sometimes that comes with no discernible change in sound, but sometimes there is a dramatic improvement in sound.

I usually have to make a new saddle for the guitar after the BD is installed, as once the top has been flattened and the bridge lowered the strings buzz because the old saddle is too low.

I've probably owned (or worked on) between 150 and 200 guitars over the years. All but two of them were used instruments, some going back to the '50s.

I've managed to get all my guitars working again without the need of a neck reset.

Good luck!

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by hdrider57 View Post
    4/32" at the 14th fret.....Just curious as to what it could cost for a reset.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Cost depends somewhat on who does it. Guilds are somewhat notorious for being challenging when doing a neck reset, which is why so many guys here are suggesting alternatives.

My luthier, Stuart Day told me $450 for a neck reset if everything went right. What he couldnít predict was how much forcing he would have to do to get the neck free. My guild is a high gloss lacquer finish. If that cracks when the neck comes free, he needs to do some serious work to remove all traces of the reset. Thatís where things can get pricey, and turn a $400 neck reset into a $1000 neck reset.

I decided to spend that $1000 on a new guitar instead. He did something to my guild he rarely recommends, he shaved the saddle and bridge down. My neck actually has been very stable so I figure I have 5-10 years before I might need top pop for the reset now.

Meanwhile, the action on my guild is better than anything youíll find off the wall in a GC, and Iím lovin my Guild Savoy (that I bought for considerably less than $1000)

I guess what Iím saying is not every guitar that needs a rest needs a reset... if that makes sense?
    ----------------------------------
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    20?? Guild AO-3CE (MIM)
    2014 Guild Savoy 150A Sunburst (MIK)

Soundcloud - Cat's In The Crade (D40C)