The better the guitar, the shorter the string life?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Interesting , what scale is the SJ and what strings are you using ?

Scale as in neck length or tuning? Neck is 25.5 and I'm in standard tuning.

I think it was Al that mentioned that maybe it needed to open up a little more which I hadn't thought about, so I'm giving the SJ a Tonerite treatment to help it along with that.
Otherwise, I think part of it is psychological... usually, my guitars don't sound their best with new strings right off the bat, it takes a few days for them to settle in where as the SJ is 10/10 right out of the gate so I think the decline is more noticeable once it starts.

My luthier said I should try 80/20s. I've always been a PB kinda guy, but nothin to lose...
As Neal suggested (and Ray), I might even try Elixers... not a big fan of the slippery feeling and thought they sounded kinda harsh on my Taylors, but they might fit well with the SJ.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think it was Al that mentioned that maybe it needed to open up a little more which I hadn't thought about, so I'm giving the SJ a Tonerite treatment to help it along with that.
Otherwise, I think part of it is psychological... usually, my guitars don't sound their best with new strings right off the bat, it takes a few days for them to settle in where as the SJ is 10/10 right out of the gate so I think the decline is more noticeable once it starts.
I'm a big believer that rarely is any one single reason responsible for phenomena like these.
I think it's much more likely to be a combination of several reasons although one reason may be the "primary" which is "enhanced" by the secondaries.
In this case I think the most likely physical cause is in fact the guitar itself, it's just so good that those brand new strings really do sound their best and the guitar emphasizes their degradation very quickly.
Your psychological perception that you're used to it working the other way 'round is no less valid, in fact I think it validates my primary suspicion of the guitar being the primary "culprit" because you can hear the change as occurring backwards from what you're used to.

My luthier said I should try 80/20s. I've always been a PB kinda guy, but nothin to lose...
As Neal suggested (and Ray), I might even try Elixers... not a big fan of the slippery feeling and thought they sounded kinda harsh on my Taylors, but they might fit well with the SJ.
And by eliminating these variables about strings you'll eventually narrow down whether it really is the guitar or if different strings make behave as you're used to.
To tell you the truth, I kinda hope the guitar really is that good.
Everybody deserves a little bliss and heaven and lovely pictures.
Short string life?
Price ya pay for the good stuff.
:biggrin-new:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it's certainly possible that a guitar you think is great will change its sound more audibly than a crappy one when strings go. Strings are the single most important element that you have control over on your axe regarding tone. Your sensitivity to a guitar that you love could heighten your experience of its tonal changes of any sort... and strings are most responsible for that.

For the record, I have not had a similar experience, Claude, but I don't think I play as much as (many of) you.

swiveltung

Reaction score
It's likely more about what you want to hear. If you have a guitar with minimal attack and bright cut, then you may like new strings best as they provide that for a time. Or vice versa.

merlin6666

Reaction score

If you like PBs then maybe give the NBs a try. They are more expensive, but to my old ears they sound like uncoated PBs (EJ) that last for six months or even longer ....

jedzep

Reaction score
Hah! Greatest string thread ever. Most apologize for bringing string choice up yet again, but it's one of the truly open ended never ending discussions.

I just pay the price and string 'em all up with the T-I's.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
As per my luthier's recommendation, I removed the UST and put the old strings back on, and to my ears, the guitar had more resonance and better tone all around. Following that, I raised the action from 5/64 to 6/64 while installing a new TUSQ saddle. Again, I noticed more volume and better tone. I've since done a Tonerite treatment and restrung with fresh EJ16's so its back to its stellar HiFi sound... We'll see if I get more life out of the strings with the adjustments I've made. After that, I might try another bone saddle even though the first one made the SJ200 sound harsh. Maybe that will change without the piezo...

Follow-up in a few weeks...

jedzep

Reaction score
Being a J, I'm thinking it needs a heavier set of strings, that you could always start tuned down to D-D. When you begin to hear a drop-off, tighten up a half step and see if it moves the tone back in line. The top just might need more of a workout.

Of course...T-Infeld Spectrums.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Being a J, I'm thinking it needs a heavier set of strings, that you could always start tuned down to D-D. When you begin to hear a drop-off, tighten up a half step and see if it moves the tone back in line. The top just might need more of a workout.

Of course...T-Infeld Spectrums.

I've ordered a new batch of strings to test on my SJ200 including:

- John Pearse 710NM New Mediums 13-55
- Dr Sunbeams 13-56
- Newtone Master Class 12-53
- D'Addario 80/20 12-53

I'm not a fan of mediums as I find them too stiff but I still want to see if the SJ200 likes the heavier gauge. I used TI Spectrums before on my Taylors to tone down the harshness, great strings and quite expensive, not sure they would be a good fit for the SJ200 though... I already have a feeling that removing the UST and adjusting the action a little higher will have a positive impact on string life and overall tone and volume. The results so far have prompted me to try the same adjustments with my D55: I've temporarily removed the DTAR UST, put in a new bone compensated saddle and raised the action. Right away, I can hear the difference: A fuller tone, especially on the bass side with more volume.

Last edited:

jedzep

Reaction score
Great! Hope you solve the puzzle. I love string experimentation...by others.

merlin6666

Reaction score
Hey Clyde I am in Montreal right now. If you have a performance today or tomorrow I would love to come out and listen.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Hey Clyde I am in Montreal right now. If you have a performance today or tomorrow I would love to come out and listen.

Hey Merlin,
Hmmm, a performance? I admit, sometimes I play for my wife and kids or my friends, but that's about it. I wish I was good enough to merit playing in front of an audience, but I think I have more passion than pure talent.
That said, I'm not in Montreal right now, I will only be back at the end of the week and plan on doing some skiing in Tremblant over the weekend. Do you ski?

merlin6666

Reaction score
Hey Merlin,
Hmmm, a performance? I admit, sometimes I play for my wife and kids or my friends, but that's about it. I wish I was good enough to merit playing in front of an audience, but I think I have more passion than pure talent.
That said, I'm not in Montreal right now, I will only be back at the end of the week and plan on doing some skiing in Tremblant over the weekend. Do you ski?
Salut Clyde, I have not skied since I was 15 years old but sometimes I think that I should get a pair and try it out again. I am just here for two days of meetings.