75 S 100 phase shift switches

Reaction score
Hey all,
Does anyone know if Guild ever put two phase shift swicthes in an S100? I found one that's from 75 and it has a second switch that looks authentic but is placed right next to the lead volume knob. Just curious if this was an option or a well done home job. Sorry I don't have a picture. Thanks

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. I have never heard about that from the factory but it is also true that any statement that contains both the words "never" and "Guild" is likely to be wrong.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hans would know.

I onow some ‘80s models had the option for things like coil split and phase, but I’d not seen that in ‘70s models.

What pickups? Not much you can do with HB1s from that era unless it’s something like a boost.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Having two phase switches would be useless, while using any one of them creates desired effect - using both of them reverses the guitars output phase - and nobody can tell without measuring, if the following effects + amp + speaker are "in phase" or not.

So - therefore I guess the second switch might be a coil-split , or anything else

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Stock HB1s only have the ability to be reversed at the bridge unless a bridge pickups is mounted in the neck.

Stock ‘70s HB1s can’t be split. 90s 4-wire HB1s can be, but they’re pretty uncommon.

If the pickups aren’t ‘70s HB1s then anything is possible.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Stock HB1s only have the ability to be reversed at the bridge unless a bridge pickups is mounted in the neck.

Stock ‘70s HB1s can’t be split. 90s 4-wire HB1s can be, but they’re pretty uncommon.

If the pickups aren’t ‘70s HB1s then anything is possible.

They're not epoxy potted, so it would be possible to open them up and convert them to 4-wire pickups.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Does anyone know if Guild ever put two phase shift swicthes in an S100? I found one that's from 75 and it has a second switch that looks authentic but is placed right next to the lead volume knob. Just curious if this was an option or a well done home job. Sorry I don't have a picture. Thanks

Welcome aboard!
Knowledgeable folks have chimed in but I see no more replies from you, sir, and just realized nobody's mentioned that new members' first few posts are vetted by mods and make take a while to go up.
After that they'll pop up in real time, but didn't want you to think the forum was that hard to use.
The best advice was "Hans would know"; since he wrote "the Guild Guitar Book" covering history up though '77, but I think he'd want pics at least to confirm it was factory installed.
I'm pretty sure he'd recognize factory correct switch for example.
For that matter I think GAD would too, or one our members "Grot".
I think the folks who say it's most likely a coil tap are correct, the only question left is if you want to confirm it's actually "original".
To that I'd say we've seen overwhelming evidence of Guild's willingness to fulfill just about any custom request if it wasn't actually a regular option.
(Thus Frono's comment: "...it is also true that any statement that contains both the words "never" and "Guild" is likely to be wrong.)
Anyway, we all love pics, too, but forum doesn't host images on site, you need a hosting service.
Let us know what you find!