Thread: 75 S 100 phase shift switches

75 S 100 phase shift switches

Hey all,
    Does anyone know if Guild ever put two phase shift swicthes in an S100? I found one that's from 75 and it has a second switch that looks authentic but is placed right next to the lead volume knob. Just curious if this was an option or a well done home job. Sorry I don't have a picture. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Welcome. I have never heard about that from the factory but it is also true that any statement that contains both the words "never" and "Guild" is likely to be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Hans would know.

I onow some Ď80s models had the option for things like coil split and phase, but Iíd not seen that in Ď70s models.

What pickups? Not much you can do with HB1s from that era unless itís something like a boost.

Hello

Having two phase switches would be useless, while using any one of them creates desired effect - using both of them reverses the guitars output phase - and nobody can tell without measuring, if the following effects + amp + speaker are "in phase" or not.

So - therefore I guess the second switch might be a coil-split , or anything else
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

Stock HB1s only have the ability to be reversed at the bridge unless a bridge pickups is mounted in the neck.

Stock Ď70s HB1s canít be split. 90s 4-wire HB1s can be, but theyíre pretty uncommon.

If the pickups arenít Ď70s HB1s then anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    Stock HB1s only have the ability to be reversed at the bridge unless a bridge pickups is mounted in the neck.

Stock ‘70s HB1s can’t be split. 90s 4-wire HB1s can be, but they’re pretty uncommon.

If the pickups aren’t ‘70s HB1s then anything is possible.
    They're not epoxy potted, so it would be possible to open them up and convert them to 4-wire pickups.

'66 Starfire XII (sunburst) SOLD
    '71 S-100 (natural) SOLD
    '74 Starfire VI (walnut/mahogany body) TRADED
    '94 X-700 (natural)

Quote Originally Posted by kakerlak View Post
    They're not epoxy potted, so it would be possible to open them up and convert them to 4-wire pickups.
    True, which is why I said "stock" HB1s.
    1970s: [ S70 | S300AD ]
    1980s: [ X79 | X79-3 | 2x X80 | X100 | S270 | S281 | BHM1 ]
    1980s: [ S300AD | X82 | Detonator | Liberator Elite | NB | SF4 | D46 ]
    1990s: [ 2x S100 | X170 | X170T | SB602F | SF4,5 | BB | NB DX | X3000 | DV72 | BM01 ]
    2000s: [ SF3 | SF4 | BB-90 | X160R ]
    2010s:
    [ 2x T-Bird ]
    Amps: [ Yes ]

My Reviews: GADsGuilds.com

As Nuuska suggests, the extra switch will not be a phase switch. Coil tap seems most likely

Quote Originally Posted by Jmsneagle View Post
    Hey all,
    Does anyone know if Guild ever put two phase shift swicthes in an S100? I found one that's from 75 and it has a second switch that looks authentic but is placed right next to the lead volume knob. Just curious if this was an option or a well done home job. Sorry I don't have a picture. Thanks
    Welcome aboard!
    Knowledgeable folks have chimed in but I see no more replies from you, sir, and just realized nobody's mentioned that new members' first few posts are vetted by mods and make take a while to go up.
    After that they'll pop up in real time, but didn't want you to think the forum was that hard to use.
    The best advice was "Hans would know"; since he wrote "the Guild Guitar Book" covering history up though '77, but I think he'd want pics at least to confirm it was factory installed.
    I'm pretty sure he'd recognize factory correct switch for example.
    For that matter I think GAD would too, or one our members "Grot".
    I think the folks who say it's most likely a coil tap are correct, the only question left is if you want to confirm it's actually "original".
    To that I'd say we've seen overwhelming evidence of Guild's willingness to fulfill just about any custom request if it wasn't actually a regular option.
    (Thus Frono's comment: "...it is also true that any statement that contains both the words "never" and "Guild" is likely to be wrong.)
    Anyway, we all love pics, too, but forum doesn't host images on site, you need a hosting service.
    Let us know what you find!
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!