Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Strummer View Post
    I think it was the first New Year's Eve show that Bill Graham was displeased with. He seemed to feel Jimi was showboating rather than playing. Nonetheless the second shows on both nights are IMO stronger than the first ones, at least as heard on recordings. The first New Year's Day show did feature that performance of Machine Gun along with Who Knows from the original Band Of Gypsys album. -Dave-
    Nope Dave -- the Graham / Hendrix story is about the New Year's Day 1970 shows. See the gjmalcyon's *Rolling Stone* link above, from which I copied this quote:

“I will never again see a performance by a guitarist-vocalist with that intensity, with that total emotional impact,” says promoter Bill Graham of Hendrix’s second set on New Year’s Day. “It was like an adagio dance. The guitar was the snake, and he was the snake charmer.”

(Thanks for posting that link gjm -- I'd not seen the article before.)

Glenn

Ah, my bad. I found a piece on the net claiming Machine Gun on the Band Of Gypsy album was from the first New Year's Day show, and shoulda checked this with other sources (and my own copy of the four shows). The piece is wrong: Machine Gun is from the second NYD show.

-Dave-
    1962 F-20 Troubadour
    1970 M-75 Bluesbird
    1971 S-100 "Black Cherry"
    1973 S-100 "Nature Boy"
    1990 Nightbird Custom
    1999 X-170T
    2013 NS M-75 Aristocrat
    2016 NS S-200 T-bird

c. 1971 Foxey Lady

It’s impressive how different from each other the four versions of “Machine Gun” are.