Noob sorely tempted by D40E

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, I've played a couple of both (current issue D40 and D40 trad.) and they were great guitars, well built, light, and loud.

If you're not in loud circumstances, the K&K bridgeplate pickups are nice - if you're playing acoustic in an electric band with drums and electric guitar close, go for a piezo or magnetic soundhole pickups (Baggs active one is nice).

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Adhorshki - Funny you mention your 70 Cutlass "S". Clearly you are a man of good automotive and musical taste. As it happens I own a 71 Cutlass "S". It was bought brand new by my father-in-law the same year my wife was born.
And they say I ain't psychic, but OK, NOW I'm jealous... :biggrin-new:
It's in great shape for its age with about 130K on the odo. He sold it to me.
Suspect you may already know that's less than 1/2 life on an Olds 350 of that vintage that's had regular oil changes.
Whatever you do, DON'T replace that block if you can at all possibly help it!
You can 500 ft lbs out of 'em if/when you want to go that way...... :shocked:
My wife says it's hers if we ever split LOL.
Time to update the pre-nup to make sure the D40 stays with you.
:highly_amused:

pancho400cid

Reaction score
Hey guys -

Checking back in with pics of the new "D-40 Traditional" guitar. I actually have not played it much, but I'm loving it so far. I must say the tone is a little more subdued than I was imagining, but I think the guitar may open up some in time. The action is very low - maybe a bit too low as there is a teeny amount of fretting out as you move up the neck some. Some adjustments are probably in order. It's back at the shop and their tech is putting a new pick up (of the LR Baggs M80 soundhole variety) in it. They said they would look into the action too.

The guitar is BEAUTIFUL and the finish is flawless. Anything that looks like a ding etc. in the pics is dust or pic issues. Anyhoo- pics are worth a thousand words:

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks fantastic. I think Al has a D40 that took some time to open up, as he bought his new way back when.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello from Finland

Welcome on Board!

In one of your earlier posts you were saying that "I still wince a little when I think about the price..."

Let me assure you - you will never ever regret having put your money into something good that lasts practically forever and never ceases to bring you joy.

Sooner or later you start looking for next one - and then next . .

Be warned.

Congratulations for new instrument.

pancho400cid

Reaction score
you will never ever regret having put your money into something good that lasts practically forever and never ceases to bring you joy.

Sound wisdom!

Got the LR Baggs M80 pick-up in. Playing the guitar at band practice tonight. Very stoked!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Looks fantastic.
Yep.
I think Al has a D40 that took some time to open up, as he bought his new way back when.
Yep, that was me.
I think it's more about actual playing time than age, and in all 3 of mine the magic number seemed to be between 250-300 hours.
The D25 hit it in the first 15 months, but the D40 took about 7 or 8 years (the D25 got the bulk of the playing time even after I got the '40), and it's a stereotypical heavy-built, from Corona.
It occurs to me it could take less time for the newer lighter builds.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Beautiful guitar! She should serve you long and well. Can't tell if that is one of those Cordoba humidifier-cases, but it not, get thee back to
music store and buy TWO Oasis humidifiers...one for the sound hole and one to clip into the neck pocket :eagerness: And, when time comes to change
strings, try some DR "Veritias," she should love them...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Can't tell if that is one of those Cordoba humidifier-cases, but if not...

Last I heard it's supposed to be (and the interior looks right), but if not, call 'em up (the store) and ask 'em why....just in case there was an honest mistake of some kind.
:friendly_wink:

pancho400cid

Reaction score
Hey guys -

Yes - there is a humidor thingy in the case. I was leery of putting something wet in there, but went ahead per the instructions. I made certain the high-density sponge had absorbed all it was going to, then dried it on the outside to be CERTAIN no drips were going to happen. A few days later the sponge was dry again, so repeated the procedure. Not much to say other that so far so good. Is that what I can expect from now on? Re-wetting the sponge every few days?

As for strings.... gotta put a set on soon. Never tried "DR Veritias"...are they really the cat's pajamas? I'm about to wade through the "what strings" thread.

Thanks!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Is that what I can expect from now on? Re-wetting the sponge every few days?
Maybe not.
I suspect you could get away with only wetting it at certain times of the year.
I'm not familiar with Austin's range, but the ideal range for acoustic guitars is 45%-55% relative humidity.
If Austin's in that range for the best part of the year, then I'd only worry about humidifying seasonally, if it falls below 40-45%.
Here in the US, too low is normally a bigger worry than too high, as solid woods can and do crack when they get too dry.
Members in the Northeast for example typically get away without humidifying in the spring/summer/fall months then start humidifying in winter when the air gets dry (the colder the air, the less moisture it can hold) and is even further dried out by typical home heating systems.
Humidity changes can also affect the geometry of the guitar and even set-up as the topwood expands and contracts.
I can recall one member who mentioned he even swaps out a "winter" and "summer" saddle to compensate for the seasonal changes.
Anyway we've seen real cheap digital home hygrometers before, one of those should be able to keep you informed about what's going in inside your house in plenty of time to take corrective action if needed.
It takes a while for damage to be done: several days at least, if not weeks.