Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noob sorely tempted by D40E

Congratulations, I've played a couple of both (current issue D40 and D40 trad.) and they were great guitars, well built, light, and loud.

If you're not in loud circumstances, the K&K bridgeplate pickups are nice - if you're playing acoustic in an electric band with drums and electric guitar close, go for a piezo or magnetic soundhole pickups (Baggs active one is nice).

-1960 CE100D
    -1961 Starfire III Special
    -1962 X175
    -1963X175
    -2011 F47R
    -2015 Newark Street X175 BLK

Thanks! Your post generally agrees with what I'm reading. I posted some questions about pick-ups in a new post:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sho...40-Traditional

Quote Originally Posted by pancho400cid View Post
    Adhorshki - Funny you mention your 70 Cutlass "S". Clearly you are a man of good automotive and musical taste. As it happens I own a 71 Cutlass "S". It was bought brand new by my father-in-law the same year my wife was born.
    And they say I ain't psychic, but OK, NOW I'm jealous...
    It's in great shape for its age with about 130K on the odo. He sold it to me.
    Suspect you may already know that's less than 1/2 life on an Olds 350 of that vintage that's had regular oil changes.
    Whatever you do, DON'T replace that block if you can at all possibly help it!
    You can 500 ft lbs out of 'em if/when you want to go that way......
    My wife says it's hers if we ever split LOL.
    Time to update the pre-nup to make sure the D40 stays with you.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by Rayk View Post
    Your killing me with the wait !! I want to see and hear it !!! 😁
    Ray I hear you.. Iím dying to plat that thing!!! How are you liking yours?

Hey guys -

Checking back in with pics of the new "D-40 Traditional" guitar. I actually have not played it much, but I'm loving it so far. I must say the tone is a little more subdued than I was imagining, but I think the guitar may open up some in time. The action is very low - maybe a bit too low as there is a teeny amount of fretting out as you move up the neck some. Some adjustments are probably in order. It's back at the shop and their tech is putting a new pick up (of the LR Baggs M80 soundhole variety) in it. They said they would look into the action too.

The guitar is BEAUTIFUL and the finish is flawless. Anything that looks like a ding etc. in the pics is dust or pic issues. Anyhoo- pics are worth a thousand words:

Last edited by pancho400cid; 01-07-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Looks fantastic. I think Al has a D40 that took some time to open up, as he bought his new way back when.
    Wood

1971 D25--The Br
    1973 D35--Jalopy

https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal

Hello from Finland

Welcome on Board!

In one of your earlier posts you were saying that "I still wince a little when I think about the price..."

Let me assure you - you will never ever regret having put your money into something good that lasts practically forever and never ceases to bring you joy.

Sooner or later you start looking for next one - and then next . .

Be warned.

Congratulations for new instrument.
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    Bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - S-60D - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

you will never ever regret having put your money into something good that lasts practically forever and never ceases to bring you joy.
    Sound wisdom!

Got the LR Baggs M80 pick-up in. Playing the guitar at band practice tonight. Very stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    Looks fantastic.
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    I think Al has a D40 that took some time to open up, as he bought his new way back when.
    Yep, that was me.
    I think it's more about actual playing time than age, and in all 3 of mine the magic number seemed to be between 250-300 hours.
    The D25 hit it in the first 15 months, but the D40 took about 7 or 8 years (the D25 got the bulk of the playing time even after I got the '40), and it's a stereotypical heavy-built, from Corona.
    It occurs to me it could take less time for the newer lighter builds.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Beautiful guitar! She should serve you long and well. Can't tell if that is one of those Cordoba humidifier-cases, but it not, get thee back to
    music store and buy TWO Oasis humidifiers...one for the sound hole and one to clip into the neck pocket And, when time comes to change
    strings, try some DR "Veritias," she should love them...
    Guild 66-J amplifier (Hoboken)
    Guild D-55 (New Hartford)
    Guild Starfire-4 (Westerly)
    Huss & Dalton DS Custom (Staunton)
    Huss & Dalton TD-R Custom, "The Pilgrim" model