New Hartford GSR Starfire VI, as good as I've hyped it up in my head?

JT339

Reaction score
So there aren't many sound examples of the GSR Starfire VI out there, and to further add to the mystique only 18 of these were made. I've got them built up in my head to be a guitar of some kind of unicorn status, the G.A.S. is real. For anyone who's played or owns one, what was your experience with them? Really curious about how they sound with some dirt. I really do love my X180 Park Avenue for jazz and cleaner blues riffing, but I tend to gravitate towards the Les Paul for anything with a decent amount of gain, and am jonesing pretty bad for a semi-hollow body that can handle the job.

From what I understand they come with a 9.5" radius which would be the only thing I'd probably not be totally in love with on paper. The compound radius has been working really well for me on other guitars I have. Really hoping it won't be longer than a year or two before they start taking custom orders. When I called in to them the other day they didn't have a timeline which obviously isn't good, but fingers are crossed.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Someone around here has/had one.

Really hoping it won't be longer than a year or two before they start taking custom orders. When I called in to them the other day they didn't have a timeline which obviously isn't good, but fingers are crossed.

Did they say that, knowing you were talking about an electric? The vague rumors I have heard is that they might do custom options on the acoustics but allowing custom Newark Street models or making electrics in the USA and taking orders is a pipe dream of the aficionados and not on anyone's radar at Guild.

JT339

Reaction score
Yeah they knew I was talking about electrics, and didn't sound like they were ruling it out. Maybe I heard what I wanted to hear.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah they knew I was talking about electrics, and didn't sound like they were ruling it out. Maybe I heard what I wanted to hear.

I think your question was simply answered "diplomatically".
"Not having a timeline" leaves open the possibility that they might actually build electrics there at some point in the future.
I can also understand why they wouldn't want to rule it out.
Those kinds of statements can take on a life of their own on social media, as I'm sure you're aware.
But as far as we know at this time there are no capabilities in terms of parts or equipment that might be unique to electric production, in place, in Oxnard.
I do seem to recall a member here mentioning that somebody from Oxnard did want to leave that possibility on the table, in a "public statement".
Don't recall the context, whether it was their Facebook page or a NAMM show?
In any case I'm sure it's a matter of forecasting demand/profitability and deciding whether it would justify tooling up.

Last edited:

JT339

Reaction score
Actually, I emailed just to be sure on the matter. Not so much the custom shop question but primarily just asking about electrics being made in the US and here was my response:

"Thanks for asking! Yes, we are planning on making electrics in the USA at some point. We just don't have an idea of when that will happen. We just got our factory up and running a couple years ago, so we are only getting started.

Thanks for your patience!"

Sounds encouraging to me, just have to exercise some patience and hope there's no hiccups along the way.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually, I emailed just to be sure on the matter. Not so much the custom shop question but primarily just asking about electrics being made in the US and here was my response:

"Thanks for asking! Yes, we are planning on making electrics in the USA at some point. We just don't have an idea of when that will happen. We just got our factory up and running a couple years ago, so we are only getting started.

Thanks for your patience!"

Sounds encouraging to me, just have to exercise some patience and hope there's no hiccups along the way.

That is consistent with my memory. Guild has said they would like to make electrics in the USA but never hinted at a timeline or the existence of any plans. The "between the lines" is "ask again later, once the acoustic production is up and running and we are making most of the acoustic models we expect to make". "Custom" is a new wrinkle but if there is no electric production now, you could argue that any electric produced would be custom :) I kind of liked the idea that they would consider Newark Street customs. The logistics would be a nightmare - getting an overseas factory running under contract to make One and then having enough QA/QC that the customer felt their instrument had the appropriate amount of individual attention - but it would be neat.

Reaction score
I can't speak to the polices at Guild. But I can tell you that the GSR Starfire to me is a great guitar. I don't have a radius gauge but the fretboard feels more like 12 than 9.5, more Gibson than Telecaster. I have a 2009 Gibson ES-345 that I bought new and a mahogany bodied 1973 Guild Starfire IV. I have played all three of these guitars side by side through several of my amps and have come to the conclusion that if I could only keep one it would be the GSR Starfire. The GSR is lighter in weight even with a Bigsby and Vibramate, I have .011 ga. strings on it and plays like .010's. I like the Seth Lover pick ups enough to have put a pair in my 1991 Les Paul. The spruce top gives the guitar quite a different sound, more open and resonant, standing in front of my Bassman running two EVM 15 and two EVM 12's the guitar vibrates front and back but it does not feedback excessively. Besides tone and playability, my two main concerns with a guitar, the thing is beautiful with out a flaw anywhere. In fact I don't have the pick guard on the guitar, I prefer playing this way, but it looks even better. The Starfire cost me as much as my Gibson L-4CES but they a couple of the last guitars I would want to part with, lucky for me I don't have to make the decision any time soon. I don't know where you live but if your ever in MN your welcome to come over and try it out. Good luck with your search. So much for unicorns!
Thanks John 15 of 18

parker_knoll

Reaction score
That's a good speaker stack for that Bassman.

you're right about the fingerboard radius:

Vintage style pickguard
G-Shield control knobs
Mother-of-Pearl and abalone inlays
Body Back: Figured Maple
Body Sides: Figured Maple
Body Top: Solid Spruce
Number of Frets: 22
Position Inlays: Mother-of-Pearl/Abalone Blocks
Fingerboard Radius: 12″ (305 mm)
Head Stock Binding: 3-Ply White/Black/White
Fretboard: Ebony
Neck Material: 3-Piece Mahogany/Maple/Mahogany
Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
Nut Width: 1.6875″ (43 mm)
Scale Length: 24.75″ (62.9 cm)
Pickup Configuration: H/H
Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan® Seth Lover
Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan® Seth Lover
Hardware Finish: Gold
Bridge: TonePros® TP6-G Tune-O-Matic Style
Tuning Machines: Gotoh® Die-Cast

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
you have to step back in line. I want one since I saw the raw body in New Hartford in 2011.

Reaction score
I believe when they say solid spruce top they mean laminated but I am not sure. I will check at the next re-string. Thanks john

JT339

Reaction score
Oh so it is 12" radius? That makes this even more painful. And the damn video posted did nothing to kill my G.A.S., may of made it worse.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not to offend anyone who owns one, but I don't really see what's special about them, or what makes them extra desirable : it's a non-Guild body shape, doesn't look like any Starfire before or after it, and it has Gibson type pickups. Might be a very decent ES-335 type guitar, but I'd rather have a Starfire or an ES-335, and this is kind of neither. Then again, I could see how that very thing could be the attraction to some people.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Not to offend anyone who owns one, but I don't really see what's special about them, or what makes them extra desirable : it's a non-Guild body shape, doesn't look like any Starfire before or after it, and it has Gibson type pickups. Might be a very decent ES-335 type guitar, but I'd rather have a Starfire or an ES-335, and this is kind of neither. Then again, I could see how that very thing could be the attraction to some people.

it's very very shiny

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

It was the first Guild electric after a very long drought. It is a fabulous guitar, but some of the former NH people have admitted that the body shape was a mistake. You had to pretty much buy one sight unseen just to get one, and according to sources, a few had headstocks that got broken in shipping, so there are probably less than 18 out there. It was the same with the T-500. You had to pony up and buy before you tried.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total