Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Hartford GSR Starfire VI, as good as I've hyped it up in my head?

you have to step back in line. I want one since I saw the raw body in New Hartford in 2011.
    my 2 ct, all the best,
    michael.

* '84 Pilot SB-602
    * '86 T-250
    * '87 Nightingale
    * '98 Starfire IV
    * '13 GSR T-400
    * '14 M-85
    * '17 M-20
    ...some more stuff and
    myself. ;)

*official WUZZATONE (made by Coastie99) endorser*

Quote Originally Posted by The Guilds of Grot View Post
    Pretty sure this is a GRS Starfire although I don't know which model it might be. Steve?

Yes, that's 8 of 18!
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

I believe when they say solid spruce top they mean laminated but I am not sure. I will check at the next re-string. Thanks john

Oh so it is 12" radius? That makes this even more painful. And the damn video posted did nothing to kill my G.A.S., may of made it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by JT339 View Post
    And the damn video posted did nothing to kill my G.A.S., may of made it worse.
    You're welcome! Just tryin' to help!

Not to offend anyone who owns one, but I don't really see what's special about them, or what makes them extra desirable : it's a non-Guild body shape, doesn't look like any Starfire before or after it, and it has Gibson type pickups. Might be a very decent ES-335 type guitar, but I'd rather have a Starfire or an ES-335, and this is kind of neither. Then again, I could see how that very thing could be the attraction to some people.

-1960 CE100D
    -1961 Starfire III Special
    -1962 X175
    -1963X175
    -2011 F47R
    -2015 Newark Street X175 BLK

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Broes View Post
    Not to offend anyone who owns one, but I don't really see what's special about them, or what makes them extra desirable : it's a non-Guild body shape, doesn't look like any Starfire before or after it, and it has Gibson type pickups. Might be a very decent ES-335 type guitar, but I'd rather have a Starfire or an ES-335, and this is kind of neither. Then again, I could see how that very thing could be the attraction to some people.
    it's very very shiny
    1957 X175 (ex)
    1960 Starfire III (ex)
    1962 X175
    1966 Starfire III (ex)
    1966 Duane Eddy DE-400
    2002 Starfire III-90

Quote Originally Posted by parker_knoll View Post
    it's very very shiny
    It was responding to Pascal's technique.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Broes View Post
    It was the first Guild electric after a very long drought. It is a fabulous guitar, but some of the former NH people have admitted that the body shape was a mistake. You had to pretty much buy one sight unseen just to get one, and according to sources, a few had headstocks that got broken in shipping, so there are probably less than 18 out there. It was the same with the T-500. You had to pony up and buy before you tried.
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

Quote Originally Posted by parker_knoll View Post
    Body Back: Figured Maple
    Body Sides: Figured Maple
    Body Top: Solid Spruce
    Quote Originally Posted by powerwagonjohn View Post
    I believe when they say solid spruce top they mean laminated but I am not sure. I will check at the next re-string.
    The Guild webpage always showed "Body Top: Solid Spruce":
    https://web.archive.org/web/20120407...mpleContained4

But I have seen sellers to advertise it as "Laminated Spruce top".

Ralf