Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Hartford GSR Starfire VI, as good as I've hyped it up in my head?

New Hartford GSR Starfire VI, as good as I've hyped it up in my head?

So there aren't many sound examples of the GSR Starfire VI out there, and to further add to the mystique only 18 of these were made. I've got them built up in my head to be a guitar of some kind of unicorn status, the G.A.S. is real. For anyone who's played or owns one, what was your experience with them? Really curious about how they sound with some dirt. I really do love my X180 Park Avenue for jazz and cleaner blues riffing, but I tend to gravitate towards the Les Paul for anything with a decent amount of gain, and am jonesing pretty bad for a semi-hollow body that can handle the job.

From what I understand they come with a 9.5" radius which would be the only thing I'd probably not be totally in love with on paper. The compound radius has been working really well for me on other guitars I have. Really hoping it won't be longer than a year or two before they start taking custom orders. When I called in to them the other day they didn't have a timeline which obviously isn't good, but fingers are crossed.

Blog Entries
    Someone around here has/had one.

Quote Originally Posted by JT339 View Post
    Really hoping it won't be longer than a year or two before they start taking custom orders. When I called in to them the other day they didn't have a timeline which obviously isn't good, but fingers are crossed.
    Did they say that, knowing you were talking about an electric? The vague rumors I have heard is that they might do custom options on the acoustics but allowing custom Newark Street models or making electrics in the USA and taking orders is a pipe dream of the aficionados and not on anyone's radar at Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Yeah they knew I was talking about electrics, and didn't sound like they were ruling it out. Maybe I heard what I wanted to hear.

Yeah they knew I was talking about electrics, and didn't sound like they were ruling it out. Maybe I heard what I wanted to hear.
    I think your question was simply answered "diplomatically".
    "Not having a timeline" leaves open the possibility that they might actually build electrics there at some point in the future.
    I can also understand why they wouldn't want to rule it out.
    Those kinds of statements can take on a life of their own on social media, as I'm sure you're aware.
    But as far as we know at this time there are no capabilities in terms of parts or equipment that might be unique to electric production, in place, in Oxnard.
    I do seem to recall a member here mentioning that somebody from Oxnard did want to leave that possibility on the table, in a "public statement".
    Don't recall the context, whether it was their Facebook page or a NAMM show?
    In any case I'm sure it's a matter of forecasting demand/profitability and deciding whether it would justify tooling up.
    Last edited by adorshki; 12-04-2018 at 11:42 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Actually, I emailed just to be sure on the matter. Not so much the custom shop question but primarily just asking about electrics being made in the US and here was my response:

"Thanks for asking! Yes, we are planning on making electrics in the USA at some point. We just don't have an idea of when that will happen. We just got our factory up and running a couple years ago, so we are only getting started.

Thanks for your patience!"

Sounds encouraging to me, just have to exercise some patience and hope there's no hiccups along the way.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. That's what I kind of wanted to hear also :-)
    What he said.

'71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '87 Pilot (Black)

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Blog Entries
    Actually, I emailed just to be sure on the matter. Not so much the custom shop question but primarily just asking about electrics being made in the US and here was my response:

"Thanks for asking! Yes, we are planning on making electrics in the USA at some point. We just don't have an idea of when that will happen. We just got our factory up and running a couple years ago, so we are only getting started.

Thanks for your patience!"

Sounds encouraging to me, just have to exercise some patience and hope there's no hiccups along the way.
    That is consistent with my memory. Guild has said they would like to make electrics in the USA but never hinted at a timeline or the existence of any plans. The "between the lines" is "ask again later, once the acoustic production is up and running and we are making most of the acoustic models we expect to make". "Custom" is a new wrinkle but if there is no electric production now, you could argue that any electric produced would be custom :-) I kind of liked the idea that they would consider Newark Street customs. The logistics would be a nightmare - getting an overseas factory running under contract to make One and then having enough QA/QC that the customer felt their instrument had the appropriate amount of individual attention - but it would be neat.
    What he said.

'71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '87 Pilot (Black)

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

I can't speak to the polices at Guild. But I can tell you that the GSR Starfire to me is a great guitar. I don't have a radius gauge but the fretboard feels more like 12 than 9.5, more Gibson than Telecaster. I have a 2009 Gibson ES-345 that I bought new and a mahogany bodied 1973 Guild Starfire IV. I have played all three of these guitars side by side through several of my amps and have come to the conclusion that if I could only keep one it would be the GSR Starfire. The GSR is lighter in weight even with a Bigsby and Vibramate, I have .011 ga. strings on it and plays like .010's. I like the Seth Lover pick ups enough to have put a pair in my 1991 Les Paul. The spruce top gives the guitar quite a different sound, more open and resonant, standing in front of my Bassman running two EVM 15 and two EVM 12's the guitar vibrates front and back but it does not feedback excessively. Besides tone and playability, my two main concerns with a guitar, the thing is beautiful with out a flaw anywhere. In fact I don't have the pick guard on the guitar, I prefer playing this way, but it looks even better. The Starfire cost me as much as my Gibson L-4CES but they a couple of the last guitars I would want to part with, lucky for me I don't have to make the decision any time soon. I don't know where you live but if your ever in MN your welcome to come over and try it out. Good luck with your search. So much for unicorns!
    Thanks John 15 of 18

That's a good speaker stack for that Bassman.

you're right about the fingerboard radius:

Vintage style pickguard
    G-Shield control knobs
    Mother-of-Pearl and abalone inlays
    Body Back: Figured Maple
    Body Sides: Figured Maple
    Body Top: Solid Spruce
    Number of Frets: 22
    Position Inlays: Mother-of-Pearl/Abalone Blocks
    Fingerboard Radius: 12″ (305 mm)
    Head Stock Binding: 3-Ply White/Black/White
    Fretboard: Ebony
    Neck Material: 3-Piece Mahogany/Maple/Mahogany
    Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
    Nut Width: 1.6875″ (43 mm)
    Scale Length: 24.75″ (62.9 cm)
    Pickup Configuration: H/H
    Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan® Seth Lover
    Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan® Seth Lover
    Hardware Finish: Gold
    Bridge: TonePros® TP6-G Tune-O-Matic Style
    Tuning Machines: Gotoh® Die-Cast
    1957 X175 (ex)
    1960 Starfire III (ex)
    1962 X175
    1966 Starfire III (ex)
    1966 Duane Eddy DE-400
    2002 Starfire III-90

Pretty sure this is a GRS Starfire although I don't know which model it might be. Steve?