I'm feeling the need.

CA-35

Reaction score
Ok so I am on Graigs List this morning and low and behold this gem pops up. A 1976 Guild D25-M-E (132885) and it comes with the original Guild case with that wonderful purple felt. OMG! He's asking $675.00 which I find reasonable. Heading north 45 miles tomorrow with cash in hand. Both hands on the wheel and my shoulders reared back...................

00K0K_jkyIpDXOxst_600x450.jpg

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
No sleep tonight and full report by Monday, please. It looks soooooo good.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I sure hope it ends up being worth the trip, Scott!! That would be a nice addition to your collection!! I'll be waiting to hear. Take your 24'' straight edge!! :encouragement:

p.s. - what are the little pearloid dots on each side of the bridge saddle??

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What are those dots on the wings of the bridge?
Could be coverings for the Barcus Berry "Hot Dot" pickups.... I think that is about the right era for those coming from the Guild factory?

gilded

Reaction score
It's on eBay, too: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-D25M...h=item2ce0659b38:g:O2kAAOSwQXlcAarq:rk:3:pf:0

Pics look great. The label says D25-M-E, which I presume means 'mahogany electric.' There is an electric-style end pin, just as there should be on a Barcus Berry equipped guitar.

Caveat: it says the saddle is low (neck re-set?), but it also says best offer, which it may or may not have said on the Craigslist ad that you mentioned in your first post.

Uh, Barcus Berry pickups sounded better back in the day, but that doesn't mean that you can't put another, more modern sounding pickup in it's place!

The eBay 'sold' prices on '70s D25s in good shape go between $500 and $700. I don't know how that would work for you if you have to spend several hundred on a neck re-set, but I hope you figure it all out!

Good luck! gilded

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sister to mine, (146147) but I had my pickup installed later.

UbmDQlc.jpg

Last edited:

matsickma

Reaction score
Yes...they look like the BB Hot Dots that we on a D40CE I owned years ago.

At the time their weren't may built-in pickup options for acoustic guitars. My memory was the Hot Dots were very bright and not great at picking up the lowend. However today you could probably boost the lowend to get a full sound.
M

CA-35

Reaction score
Well boys and girls it was worth the trip. Neat guy, he had a late 60's Hoboken F-30, a late 60's Martin D-28, a ton of late 60's Gibsons which he spouted off model numbers but I cant remember them now. The Guild D-25 was in great shape, a few blemishes but no cracks or finish checking. The saddle is low so I will address that when the times comes but for now she sounds and plays sweet. The case is original Guild and shows some wear for her 42 years of age. He was asking $675 and to keep him honest I offered him $600 which he promptly rejected. He said since I drove 45 miles north he would let me have it for $650 too offset my fuel expense. How could I refuse that? Forked over six c-notes and a fifty dollar bill and the rest is history. She's really a nice guitar.....I will name her soon. Pictures to follow.....for some reason I couldn't get them to upload on my photo hosting sight.

The serial number is 132885 so if someone can verify that she is a 1976 I would appreciate it.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
That's a great looking axe! Congratulations on a successful trip and guitar purchase. :encouragement: I'm glad that you're happy with the sound and the playability. The D-25M is a classic Guild model.

From Hans' book the last SN from 1975 is: 130304
the last SN from 1976 is: 149625

Ahem... oh, and by the way... the truss rod cover! :topsy_turvy:

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well boys and girls it was worth the trip. Neat guy, he had a late 60's Hoboken F-30, a late 60's Martin D-28, a ton of late 60's Gibsons which he spouted off model numbers but I cant remember them now. The Guild D-25 was in great shape, a few blemishes but no cracks or finish checking. The saddle is low so I will address that when the times comes but for now she sounds and plays sweet. The case is original Guild and shows some wear for her 42 years of age. He was asking $675 and to keep him honest I offered him $600 which he promptly rejected. He said since I drove 45 miles north he would let me have it for $650 too offset my fuel expense. How could I refuse that? Forked over six c-notes and a fifty dollar bill and the rest is history. She's really a nice guitar.....I will name her soon. Pictures to follow.....for some reason I couldn't get them to upload on my photo hosting sight.

The serial number is 132885 so if someone can verify that she is a 1976 I would appreciate it.

Congratulations Scott! Sometimes low saddles can stay that way for quite some time before you have to address it, and I hope that's the case here. My F512 has been like that since the first setup, and hasn't moved any.