Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: I know , an old dead horse . string talk

  1. #31
    Following up on this thread... just tried some John Pearse 80/20 710 New Mediums on my F55 and gotta say it sounds and feels glorious. The string gauges on this set are quite interesting: 13-17-24-32-42-55. So basically medium gauge on the 1st, 2nd and 6th strings and light gauge on 3rd, 4th and 5th. Sort of the same approach as Elixir HD lights but with a fatter low E. Over the past month I've been testing a lot of new string combinations and I think I've officially converted to 80/20. The crispness you get with 80-20s and fatter gauge is great for alternate tunings and cleans up any mud in the lower register quite nicely.
    1965 Guild F30
    2012 Guild D55
    2017 Guild F55e SB
    2015 Gibson Sheryl Crow SJ
    2017 Gibson SJ200 SB
    2015 Taylor 214
    2009 Fender Strat
    2015 Epi Les Paul Traditionnal

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Central Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,158
    Cylde, this is interesting, do you find any tuning issues? I am guessing your string set is "True Medium?" On both my D55 and (now Default's) F47R, whether D'Addario or made up (generally LaBella) there was always something not quite right with the "odd" string gauges. Perfect for DADGAD tuning though. When I saw that Taylor had come up with their own special set for Taylor guitars, was wondering of they had played with the scale length or even how the nut/bridge were cut to make them play in tune...
    Guild 66-J amplifier (Hoboken)
    Guild D-55 (New Hartford)
    Guild Starfire-4 (Westerly)
    Huss & Dalton DS Custom (Staunton)
    Huss & Dalton TD-R Custom, "The Pilgrim" model

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Ashton View Post
    Cylde, this is interesting, do you find any tuning issues? I am guessing your string set is "True Medium?" On both my D55 and (now Default's) F47R, whether D'Addario or made up (generally LaBella) there was always something not quite right with the "odd" string gauges. Perfect for DADGAD tuning though. When I saw that Taylor had come up with their own special set for Taylor guitars, was wondering of they had played with the scale length or even how the nut/bridge were cut to make them play in tune...
    Hmmm, I had no idea Daddario made a similar gauge set. Reading the description, it pretty much describes my experience with the JP New Mediums so far. I also find the highs sound rounder and fuller without too much added tension.
    No tuning issues at all. I've put them on my D55 and F55 and they sound awesome.
    1965 Guild F30
    2012 Guild D55
    2017 Guild F55e SB
    2015 Gibson Sheryl Crow SJ
    2017 Gibson SJ200 SB
    2015 Taylor 214
    2009 Fender Strat
    2015 Epi Les Paul Traditionnal

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Central Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,158
    Cannot remember the D'Addario "EJ number" (Twenty-something?) but they are called True Mediums...
    Guild 66-J amplifier (Hoboken)
    Guild D-55 (New Hartford)
    Guild Starfire-4 (Westerly)
    Huss & Dalton DS Custom (Staunton)
    Huss & Dalton TD-R Custom, "The Pilgrim" model

  5. #35
    Senior Member walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Ashton View Post
    Cannot remember the D'Addario "EJ number" (Twenty-something?) but they are called True Mediums...
    EJ24 - gauges 13 - 56.

    http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDe...1-b037ef617c57

    walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2011 Guild F-30RCE
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by ClydeTower View Post
    Following up on this thread... just tried some John Pearse 80/20 710 New Mediums on my F55 and gotta say it sounds and feels glorious. The string gauges on this set are quite interesting: 13-17-24-32-42-55. So basically medium gauge on the 1st, 2nd and 6th strings and light gauge on 3rd, 4th and 5th. Sort of the same approach as Elixir HD lights but with a fatter low E. Over the past month I've been testing a lot of new string combinations and I think I've officially converted to 80/20. The crispness you get with 80-20s and fatter gauge is great for alternate tunings and cleans up any mud in the lower register quite nicely.
    Yes, sometimes I throw a set of D'Adarrio EJ11s on the Br, these are 80/20 light gauge strings, basically their very first or one of their first steel string offerings. very crisp and definitely wakes up the old D25 flatback but they go dead quick. I think the ole box prefers PBs (EJ16s) but still, 80/20s are nice and JP definitely makes a nice version of these same strings.
    Wood

    1971 D25--The Br
    1973 D35--Jalopy

    https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •