Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I know , an old dead horse . string talk

I know , an old dead horse . string talk

Hey folks hope all is well with everyone 🙂

Iíve been sitting here with my F55 as my couch guitar . Yeah she just took over lol

Anyway I mentioned strings but Iím curious to see if anyone has a particular string brand or custom set for their Jumbos ?

I mentioned before Iím working on a few tunes for a demo and sorry to mention it again as I havenít produced , Iím very picky and my playing is eradic and getting a good enough take well , It takes time in my case lol but I think you might like what comes ... or maybe not ? you all being fuddy duddies an all willing to comment about a vear off topic instead of saying anything about the OPís post , itís like walking into someoneís house whom you donít know have lunch , the one you brought and then leave . All the while the home owner is like Whaaaaat ??????

Anyway so playing this beast I can see where one could be very picky about the strings not that weíre not with our other guitars but to me the jumbo seems more sensitive or should I say more willing to yield a verity of results on a more personal level from certain stings over others as far as the player is concerned but in a different way .

Yeah Rays Wacko Lol but the thing is the fullness and depth of it intrigues me to find a way to really open her up in more of a per song basses , again itís not just finding a preferred string set as a whole but more a set that will compliment a certain song or style and so on . The guitar is fixed in this case then finding the right strings to fit the tune .

Probably more thought then most put into it lmao
    So let me just ask the plain question what brand and type do prefer on the jumboís and why ? Is it just because or they do something specific for it ?

Oooooooo look a beer !
    Guild Co-2
    Guild F55E AB
    Guild F212XLCE

My other acoustics,
    Ben Wilborn Gloria model , Lucky strike , Sequoia (redwood )Top , African Blackwood back and sides .

Blueridge BR180A
    Blueridge BR283A

Some of my worst songs are some of my best music .

Rayk:
    I use D'Addario EJ16 Lights on my JF65. They sound deep and mellow with just the right amount of highs and lows. And if you play lots of bar chords, they play much easier.
    1971 Guild D40 "Guild Guitar Inc" label SN 55360
    2001 Chris Bozung Rosewood Dred - Antique Sunburst - "A Dozen Roses"
    2011 Chris Bozung CB "45" Brazilian Rosewood Dread

I'm not one bit fussy personally. I use whatever I have sitting around and they typically are fine. I will say I'm more of a fan of medium gauge strings on Jumbos and Dreads and I do really like D'Addarrios and Martin brand.
    '75 D 40 C
    '18 D 40T Custom
    '64 D 50 Braz. RW
    '14 D 55
    '98 D 60
    '86 D 66
    '81 D 70
    '94 DV 72
    '94 DV 73
    '00 F30R
    '10 F 40 GSR Cocobolo
    '12 F 47 GSR KC
    '08 F 50R
    '09 F 50
    '74 D 55-12
    '07 F 412
    '74 F 512
    '72 F-612
    '83 G 45
    '87 GF 50R
    '95 JF 100 NAT CRV
    '99 Finesse
    '13&'14 Orpheum Jumbo
    '97 45th Anniv. #45
    '03 D 55 50th Anniv. #23
    '13 F 30 60th Anniv. #17
    '64 S 50
    '57 X 175
    '70's M 75 CS
    '69 Studio 402
    '98 SF 2
    '81 SF 4
    '67 SF 5
    '67 SF 12
    Blues 90X2

Quote Originally Posted by Rayk View Post
    It’s like walking into someone’s house whom you don’t know have lunch , the one you brought and then leave . All the while the home owner is like Whaaaaat ??????
    That's great idea!
    I think I'll try it!
    Do you find it easier to go around back and try that door first?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayk View Post
    Oooooooo look a beer !
    Ok this time I gotta call ya on the spell check, it's Veer with a V.

Kidding, aside, about a year ago member Marcellis mentioned tuning his F65ce (16" lower bout; shallow archback maple body) down a whole step and loving how it upped the rumble factor.
    Even though I've been a standard tuning purist for years, his advice I was willing to try.
    I loved it.
    More "nuance", more sustain and clarity when doing bends, (or that one last note in a run that you really want to "hang" there); using D'Addario uncoated pb extra lights (.010-.047, I forget the set number).
    Even did it with my D25 (EJ-16's, .012-.053 uncoated pb); same results.
    Only drawback is some slight intonation wonkiness, and I think you might be pretty sensitive to that.
    Think those F55's come with coated mediums, right?
    First thing I'd try is uncoated medium pb's (D'A's) and tune 'em down a whole.
    And for full disclosure, next experiment for the F65ce is silk'n'steels because I'm still looking for a way to tone down the maple "jangle", but I hear it more in my GF's cell phone recordings than when actually playing.
    Last edited by adorshki; 11-29-2018 at 11:35 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

I'm really enjoying D'Addario Nickel Bronze.
    Clear and powerful.

I've got the NB1256 'Light Top/Medium Bottom on the Epiphone EJ-200 pictured.
    NB1253 Light on the Huss & Dalton MJ Custom in centre..
    NB1047-12 on the F-412 on the right.

Also using NB1152 on a rosewood jumbo not pictured.

1972 - Takamine D-70
    1980 - Morris B50-12
    2002 - Guild F-412
    2009 - Martin Grand J12-40E Special
    2011 - Martin JDP II
    2012 - Dan Dubowski #61
    2012 - Epiphone EJ-200
    2015 - Kittis RBJ-195
    2012 - Huss and Dalton MJ Custom Natural
    2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo

Quote Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
    I'm really enjoying D'Addario Nickel Bronze.
    Clear and powerful.

I've got the NB1256 'Light Top/Medium Bottom on the Epiphone EJ-200 pictured.
    NB1253 Light on the Huss & Dalton MJ Custom in centre..
    NB1047-12 on the F-412 on the right.

Also using NB1152 on a rosewood jumbo not pictured.

Ahh ok so even though same brand why different types/gauge ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Rayk:
    I use D'Addario EJ16 Lights on my JF65. They sound deep and mellow with just the right amount of highs and lows. And if you play lots of bar chords, they play much easier.
    Do you get the same effect on different guitars ?

Quote Originally Posted by richardp69 View Post
    I'm not one bit fussy personally. I use whatever I have sitting around and they typically are fine. I will say I'm more of a fan of medium gauge strings on Jumbos and Dreads and I do really like D'Addarrios and Martin brand.
    And wow ! With all your herd I would think youíd have a verity of strings sets lol

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    That's great idea!
    I think I'll try it!
    Do you find it easier to go around back and try that door first?

Yes but many protest to that kind of approach.

Ok this time I gotta call ya on the spell check, it's Veer with a V.

Kidding, aside, about a year ago member Marcellis mentioned tuning his F65ce (16" lower bout; shallow archback maple body) down a whole step and loving how it upped the rumble factor.
    Even though I've been a standard tuning purist for years, his advice I was willing to try.
    I loved it.
    More "nuance", more sustain and clarity when doing bends, (or that one last note in a run that you really want to "hang" there); using D'Addario uncoated pb extra lights (.010-.047, I forget the set number).
    Even did it with my D25 (EJ-16's, .012-.053 uncoated pb); same results.
    Only drawback is some slight intonation wonkiness, and I think you might be pretty sensitive to that.
    Think those F55's come with coated mediums, right?
    First thing I'd try is uncoated medium pb's (D'A's) and tune 'em down a whole.
    And for full disclosure, next experiment for the F65ce is silk'n'steels because I'm still looking for a way to tone down the maple "jangle", but I hear it more in my GF's cell phone recordings than when actually playing.
    Ok so you havenít felt that one type of string brand would work better for a said song then another on the same guitar ?

NB1256 - The Epiphone EJ-200 likes a heavy hand and the heavier gauge helps give it a little more bottom end/bass.

NB1253 - The Huss & Dalton is almost opposite, highly responsive and only needs a light touch.

NB1152 - My rosewood jumbo is also very responsive and sounded OK with normal 12-53 Lights but slightly out of balance - I played around with lots of different strings until I came on the idea of dropping down a gauge and bingo! no loss of volume, same tone, better balance and easy on the finger tips.
    Last edited by Brucebubs; 11-30-2018 at 12:33 AM.
    1972 - Takamine D-70
    1980 - Morris B50-12
    2002 - Guild F-412
    2009 - Martin Grand J12-40E Special
    2011 - Martin JDP II
    2012 - Dan Dubowski #61
    2012 - Epiphone EJ-200
    2015 - Kittis RBJ-195
    2012 - Huss and Dalton MJ Custom Natural
    2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo

How can you not try these? Those big guitars need 13's.

https://gimmesomestrings.com/thomast...uitar-strings/
    I try to think but nuthin' happens.

'63 F30
    '57 M20
    '62 Martin 00018
    '31 Gibson L0
    '35 Gibson L00
    '49 Gibson J50