I know , an old dead horse . string talk

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey folks hope all is well with everyone 🙂

I’ve been sitting here with my F55 as my couch guitar . Yeah she just took over lol

Anyway I mentioned strings but I’m curious to see if anyone has a particular string brand or custom set for their Jumbos ?

I mentioned before I’m working on a few tunes for a demo and sorry to mention it again as I haven’t produced , I’m very picky and my playing is eradic and getting a good enough take well , It takes time in my case lol but I think you might like what comes ... or maybe not ? you all being fuddy duddies an all willing to comment about a vear off topic instead of saying anything about the OP’s post , it’s like walking into someone’s house whom you don’t know have lunch , the one you brought and then leave . All the while the home owner is like Whaaaaat ??????

Anyway so playing this beast I can see where one could be very picky about the strings not that we’re not with our other guitars but to me the jumbo seems more sensitive or should I say more willing to yield a verity of results on a more personal level from certain stings over others as far as the player is concerned but in a different way .

Yeah Rays Wacko Lol but the thing is the fullness and depth of it intrigues me to find a way to really open her up in more of a per song basses , again it’s not just finding a preferred string set as a whole but more a set that will compliment a certain song or style and so on . The guitar is fixed in this case then finding the right strings to fit the tune .

Probably more thought then most put into it lmao
So let me just ask the plain question what brand and type do prefer on the jumbo’s and why ? Is it just because or they do something specific for it ?

Oooooooo look a beer !

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Rayk:
I use D'Addario EJ16 Lights on my JF65. They sound deep and mellow with just the right amount of highs and lows. And if you play lots of bar chords, they play much easier.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm not one bit fussy personally. I use whatever I have sitting around and they typically are fine. I will say I'm more of a fan of medium gauge strings on Jumbos and Dreads and I do really like D'Addarrios and Martin brand.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It’s like walking into someone’s house whom you don’t know have lunch , the one you brought and then leave . All the while the home owner is like Whaaaaat ??????
That's great idea!
I think I'll try it!
Do you find it easier to go around back and try that door first?
Oooooooo look a beer !

Ok this time I gotta call ya on the spell check, it's Veer with a V.
:friendly_wink:

Kidding, aside, about a year ago member Marcellis mentioned tuning his F65ce (16" lower bout; shallow archback maple body) down a whole step and loving how it upped the rumble factor.
Even though I've been a standard tuning purist for years, his advice I was willing to try.
I loved it.
More "nuance", more sustain and clarity when doing bends, (or that one last note in a run that you really want to "hang" there); using D'Addario uncoated pb extra lights (.010-.047, I forget the set number).
Even did it with my D25 (EJ-16's, .012-.053 uncoated pb); same results.
Only drawback is some slight intonation wonkiness, and I think you might be pretty sensitive to that.
Think those F55's come with coated mediums, right?
First thing I'd try is uncoated medium pb's (D'A's) and tune 'em down a whole.
And for full disclosure, next experiment for the F65ce is silk'n'steels because I'm still looking for a way to tone down the maple "jangle", but I hear it more in my GF's cell phone recordings than when actually playing.

Last edited:

Brucebubs

Reaction score
I'm really enjoying D'Addario Nickel Bronze.
Clear and powerful.

I've got the NB1256 'Light Top/Medium Bottom on the Epiphone EJ-200 pictured.
NB1253 Light on the Huss & Dalton MJ Custom in centre..
NB1047-12 on the F-412 on the right.

Also using NB1152 on a rosewood jumbo not pictured.

XcyluGpl.jpg

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying D'Addario Nickel Bronze.
Clear and powerful.

I've got the NB1256 'Light Top/Medium Bottom on the Epiphone EJ-200 pictured.
NB1253 Light on the Huss & Dalton MJ Custom in centre..
NB1047-12 on the F-412 on the right.

Also using NB1152 on a rosewood jumbo not pictured.

XcyluGpl.jpg

Ahh ok so even though same brand why different types/gauge ?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Rayk:
I use D'Addario EJ16 Lights on my JF65. They sound deep and mellow with just the right amount of highs and lows. And if you play lots of bar chords, they play much easier.

Do you get the same effect on different guitars ?

I'm not one bit fussy personally. I use whatever I have sitting around and they typically are fine. I will say I'm more of a fan of medium gauge strings on Jumbos and Dreads and I do really like D'Addarrios and Martin brand.

And wow ! With all your herd I would think you’d have a verity of strings sets lol

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's great idea!
I think I'll try it!
Do you find it easier to go around back and try that door first?

Yes but many protest to that kind of approach.

Ok this time I gotta call ya on the spell check, it's Veer with a V.

Kidding, aside, about a year ago member Marcellis mentioned tuning his F65ce (16" lower bout; shallow archback maple body) down a whole step and loving how it upped the rumble factor.
Even though I've been a standard tuning purist for years, his advice I was willing to try.
I loved it.
More "nuance", more sustain and clarity when doing bends, (or that one last note in a run that you really want to "hang" there); using D'Addario uncoated pb extra lights (.010-.047, I forget the set number).
Even did it with my D25 (EJ-16's, .012-.053 uncoated pb); same results.
Only drawback is some slight intonation wonkiness, and I think you might be pretty sensitive to that.
Think those F55's come with coated mediums, right?
First thing I'd try is uncoated medium pb's (D'A's) and tune 'em down a whole.
And for full disclosure, next experiment for the F65ce is silk'n'steels because I'm still looking for a way to tone down the maple "jangle", but I hear it more in my GF's cell phone recordings than when actually playing.

Ok so you haven’t felt that one type of string brand would work better for a said song then another on the same guitar ?

Brucebubs

Reaction score
NB1256 - The Epiphone EJ-200 likes a heavy hand and the heavier gauge helps give it a little more bottom end/bass.

NB1253 - The Huss & Dalton is almost opposite, highly responsive and only needs a light touch.

NB1152 - My rosewood jumbo is also very responsive and sounded OK with normal 12-53 Lights but slightly out of balance - I played around with lots of different strings until I came on the idea of dropping down a gauge and bingo! no loss of volume, same tone, better balance and easy on the finger tips.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ok so you haven’t felt that one type of string brand would work better for a said song then another on the same guitar ?
I never thought abut whether certain strings would be better for certain songs, only about getting the best sound I can from a given guitar at any given time.
Only ever thought about whether certain songs work better on certain guitars a few years after I got the F65ce, and since they're all strung with factory spec D'A uncoated pb (only difference is the extra light gauge spec'd for the F65ce), I've always been satisfied I'm getting the best I can get: "If it's good enough for Guild it's good enough for me".
The vocal differences between the F65ce and the dreads are enough variety for my ears, why change strings when on can just pick up a different guitar?
And I HATE to change strings. (Takes me an hour because I have a painstaking and idiosyncratic technique and always clean the fretboard at the same time)
And for about 8 years the D25 was my ONLY guitar.
The mission was: "Always ready for whatever I feel like playing".
Changing strings just to accommodate a song would never have occurred to me.
Instead I'd adjust technique, primarily in where I'd be hitting the strings: closer or farther away from bridge, and whether using pick or not, and whether I was going for a lot of sustain and drone or crystal clear arpeggiatto by adjusting pickgrip technique.
Even strumming can sound very crisp and precise or more lush and "dron-ey" by adroit use or avoidance of palm muting, for example.
The couple of times I tried something else on the '25 I went back to the Ej-16's, BUT:
You reminded me, the original Guild L350 sets supplied on that and the D40 (And Stuball's JF65) actually had an .025 wound G compared to the .024 that's used in the EJ-16's; otherwise they're identical and Guild's L350 set was made by D'Addario.
I just had to start using D'A when Fender moved away from 'em in around '04 or so.
And I buy an extra PB025 single to sub into the EJ-16 set to replicate original Guild L350's exactly.
So there IS that tiny bit of gauge customization that you did ask about, I think it enhances midrange punch and balance to some degree.
And that reminds me, I unknowingly got a set of the "new" L350's, (made by Fender's Mexican string plant, I found out later) and noticed the '25 had lost a bit of its sustain and volume, so went back to look at the packaging and realized there was an .024 G in there now, and when I pulled out a set of "real" L-350's I had stashed, noticed even the alloy was slightly differently colored.
Yet packaging was identical and the only giveaway was that one little change on the G string spec.
GRRRR>
Effing Fender.
THAT'S when I started searching for a way to restore the '25s sonic shine and discovered D'A.
And discovered that EJ-16's matched the alloy in my stashed "real" L350 set and was happy again, and perfectly willing to buy the extra PB025 to get that perfect woody and lush sound back.
The one other make I tried that sticks out in my mind was Martin Marquis 80/20 lights.
Sounded harsh and too metallic to me, and felt stiff and hard to fret and bend besides. (Felt vindicated when I saw a couple of comments here indicating the same impression, later on)
Took 'em off after about 2 hours and never looked back.
Think I also tried medium D'A's; same thing again, too hard to fret, and silk and steels: not enough "punch", too quiet.
But that's all specific to the D25.
And my ears.
Within the last year a light went on for me and I realized:
Everybody's ears are different so it's no wonder the same string is gonna sound different to different people and folks are gonna have their sonic preferences in composition and gauge.
Now if I had a rosewood bodied guitar I might find out I prefer something other than pb's on it....
And as for D'A brand, I think there's gotta be a reason they're the biggest selling string maker on the planet and it ain't just because of good marketing.
Any time the subject comes up it seems like D'A gets more votes than any of the other guys and in fact about the same number as the rest put together, but I never stopped to check if it's always the same guys responding.
:biggrin-new:

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Um those are 12’s lol but I hear ya . I do have a issue as the action seems optimial issue is on the 12th fret she’s not ringing clear upon looking at the saddle every thing seems fine on the front side buto the back not so much as the high E has very little break angle , it kind of surprised me so something to fix lol

13 are good for me because I open tune otherwise I find 12’s fit both sides of my style at least as best as possible with changing every time .

I will admit the has the original strings it came with . I have not checked the gauge .

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Do you get the same effect on different guitars ?
The 3 different guage strings I use are D'Addario EJ16 light - EJ17 medium and EJ19 medium top 4 and light bottom 2. Between $5 and $6 a set if you buy more than 5 sets. Just the sounds I like without over stressing bridge.

And wow ! With all your herd I would think you’d have a verity of strings sets lol
See comment above

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Um those are 12’s lol but I hear ya . I do have a issue as the action seems optimial issue is on the 12th fret she’s not ringing clear upon looking at the saddle every thing seems fine on the front side buto the back not so much as the high E has very little break angle , it kind of surprised me so something to fix lol

13 are good for me because I open tune otherwise I find 12’s fit both sides of my style at least as best as possible with changing every time .

I will admit the has the original strings it came with . I have not checked the gauge .
Just checked:
They are lights but they're coated:
D’Addario EXP16 – Coated Phosphor Bronze Light (.012 – .053)

First thing in my personal opinion: get rid of the coating.
It absolutely mutes out some overtones to some degree, and I think that's what you're looking for.
THEN shoot all the lawyers.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I never thought abut whether certain strings would be better for certain songs, only about getting the best sound I can from a given guitar at any given time.
Only ever thought about whether certain songs work better on certain guitars a few years after I got the F65ce, and since they're all strung with factory spec D'A uncoated pb (only difference is the extra light gauge spec'd for the F65ce), I've always been satisfied I'm getting the best I can get: "If it's good enough for Guild it's good enough for me".
The vocal differences between the F65ce and the dreads are enough variety for my ears, why change strings when on can just pick up a different guitar?
And I HATE to change strings. (Takes me an hour because I have a painstaking and idiosyncratic technique and always clean the fretboard at the same time)
And for about 8 years the D25 was my ONLY guitar.
The mission was: "Always ready for whatever I feel like playing".
Changing strings just to accommodate a song would never have occurred to me.
Instead I'd adjust technique, primarily in where I'd be hitting the strings: closer or farther away from bridge, and whether using pick or not, and whether I was going for a lot of sustain and drone or crystal clear arpeggiatto by adjusting pickgrip technique.
Even strumming can sound very crisp and precise or more lush and "dron-ey" by adroit use or avoidance of palm muting, for example.
The couple of times I tried something else on the '25 I went back to the Ej-16's, BUT:
You reminded me, the original Guild L350 sets supplied on that and the D40 (And Stuball's JF65) actually had an .025 wound G compared to the .024 that's used in the EJ-16's; otherwise they're identical and Guild's L350 set was made by D'Addario.
I just had to start using D'A when Fender moved away from 'em in around '04 or so.
And I buy an extra PB025 single to sub into the EJ-16 set to replicate original Guild L350's exactly.
So there IS that tiny bit of gauge customization that you did ask about, I think it enhances midrange punch and balance to some degree.
And that reminds me, I unknowingly got a set of the "new" L350's, (made by Fender's Mexican string plant, I found out later) and noticed the '25 had lost a bit of its sustain and volume, so went back to look at the packaging and realized there was an .024 G in there now, and when I pulled out a set of "real" L-350's I had stashed, noticed even the alloy was slightly differently colored.
Yet packaging was identical and the only giveaway was that one little change on the G string spec.
GRRRR>
Effing Fender.
THAT'S when I started searching for a way to restore the '25s sonic shine and discovered D'A.
And discovered that EJ-16's matched the alloy in my stashed "real" L350 set and was happy again, and perfectly willing to buy the extra PB025 to get that perfect woody and lush sound back.
The one other make I tried that sticks out in my mind was Martin Marquis 80/20 lights.
Sounded harsh and too metallic to me, and felt stiff and hard to fret and bend besides. (Felt vindicated when I saw a couple of comments here indicating the same impression, later on)
Took 'em off after about 2 hours and never looked back.
Think I also tried medium D'A's; same thing again, too hard to fret, and silk and steels: not enough "punch", too quiet.
But that's all specific to the D25.
And my ears.
Within the last year a light went on for me and I realized:
Everybody's ears are different so it's no wonder the same string is gonna sound different to different people and folks are gonna have their sonic preferences in composition and gauge.
Now if I had a rosewood bodied guitar I might find out I prefer something other than pb's on it....
And as for D'A brand, I think there's gotta be a reason they're the biggest selling string maker on the planet and it ain't just because of good marketing.
Any time the subject comes up it seems like D'A gets more votes than any of the other guys and in fact about the same number as the rest put together, but I never stopped to check if it's always the same guys responding.
:biggrin-new:

Lol I hear ya . I find comfort with the Elixir Nano webs , D’addario and Martin Monals . Thing is they work well on most all my guitars which at that point just comes down to mood of the moment .

The F55 seems to becan more then one set or brand . I know it sounds stupid but I feel I have a pretty good ear and taste lol I guess now I will have to put my theory to the test but it would take some time to work out between my other projects.

Reaction score
I have tried dozens of string makers, for dozens of guitars I’ve owned, over the decades I’ve been playing, but I never even thought of different strings for different SONGS. I’ve always looked for the best string for a particular guitar, then picked a guitar for whatever project I’m working on.
Interesting idea, and food for thought, but I sometimes get bogged down in the minutiae of tiny details when recording, and this would just be overload for me! LOL!
If I want a more mid-range sounding guitar, I go for the mahogany ( like my G-41). If I want warmer , but not so much sustain and maybe bit brighter, I’ll grab a maple ( like my JF30 or SJ200)... or overall fuller with rosewood (F-50r).
I like Martin 12s for the G-41 and D’A 12s (PB) for just about everything else!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have tried dozens of string makers, for dozens of guitars I’ve owned, over the decades I’ve been playing, but I never even thought of different strings for different SONGS. I’ve always looked for the best string for a particular guitar, then picked a guitar for whatever project I’m working on.
Interesting idea, and food for thought, but I sometimes get bogged down in the minutiae of tiny details when recording, and this would just be overload for me! LOL!
If I want a more mid-range sounding guitar, I go for the mahogany ( like my G-41). If I want warmer , but not so much sustain and maybe bit brighter, I’ll grab a maple ( like my JF30 or SJ200)... or overall fuller with rosewood (F-50r).
I like Martin 12s for the G-41 and D’A 12s (PB) for just about everything else!

Maybe this is all in my head and my then floating brain in beer thinking of this lol

It would be a pain in the butt for most folks but for me only a mild inconvenience since it would only be for recording purposes .

What a strange word , pur pose should be per pus. Lol

PittPastor

Reaction score
I saw a YouTube video of Vince Gill a bit ago. He was talking about Martin, of course. But he said something interesting. It was along the lines of: "A lot of guys get hung up on how loud a guitar sounds. But it doesn't really matter how loud a guitar is, or how it sounds out there. It only has to sound good to right here..." And he held his hand out to about where a mic would be if it were being recorded as a pure acoustic.

He's right I think. When I play for myself, I only care how it sounds to my ear. If I were really to play for someone else, I would either mic it, or plug it in.

Kind of made me rethink my string choices after that.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I saw a YouTube video of Vince Gill a bit ago. He was talking about Martin, of course. But he said something interesting. It was along the lines of: "A lot of guys get hung up on how loud a guitar sounds. But it doesn't really matter how loud a guitar is, or how it sounds out there. It only has to sound good to right here..." And he held his hand out to about where a mic would be if it were being recorded as a pure acoustic.

He's right I think. When I play for myself, I only care how it sounds to my ear. If I were really to play for someone else, I would either mic it, or plug it in.

Kind of made me rethink my string choices after that.

Absolutely correct 😁