Newbie's first post

Steve in Concord

Reaction score
This is my first post to the group. Have been enjoying reading the posts but never got around to registering until now. I bought a black Starfire II, built in 1999, about a year and a half ago. It looked absolutely mint, but the bridge wouldn't go down low enough for the action I wanted and the bridge pickup was cocked and hung up and I couldn't adjust its height. So I never played it much. Well, yesterday I finally got around to taking everything apart. I drilled out the bridge so it would sit down lower on the support bolts, freed up the pickup and got it moving, restrung it (D'Addario NYXL 10's) and set the pickup heights -- I can't believe what an incredible sound the SF has. Always wanted a thin hollow-body, but never liked the Gibson ES - thought it sounded too much like my Les Paul. But the SF is a totally different beast. I now realize how lucky I was to find this one on Reverb.

Mark WW

Reaction score
Congrats and welcome! I have 2 SF III's and a VI. THe III's are really light and fun to play. Glad you got yours sorted out.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome Steve! Sounds like you’ve got a winner there. We need pictures to be sure though!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Howdy, Steve! Welcome to the forum and glad you discovered the magic of Guilds. The build quality of those Westerly-era Starfires is really nice, and they sound great.

Steve in Concord

Reaction score
Welcome Steve! Sounds like you’ve got a winner there. We need pictures to be sure though!

My "Posting Permissions" says I cannot post attachments, probably because I'm a newbie. Assume that includes photos. Will put photos up as soon as I'm allowed.

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to the LTG! Great story!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
My "Posting Permissions" says I cannot post attachments, probably because I'm a newbie. Assume that includes photos. Will put photos up as soon as I'm allowed.

Welcome. No one, newbie or otherwise, has permission to post attachments. But posting pics is not intuitive. You need to host them somewhere else and link to them here.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, I finally uploaded photos to Imgur.com, but not sure what to do next.

Welcome to the boards, Steve! That link works. That guitar's a real beauty! You can also have the photos show up here. Right-click on the photo at imgur and "copy image location." Then come back here and click the "insert image" button that is one of those on the "ribbon" that runs along the top of the box where you type in your posting. This opens up a small dialog box where you want to paste in the image location. Then hit OK. The code for the image will show up where the cursor is in the posting box. Like this....

OxxvcEn.jpg