Cordoba vs New Hartford / Tacoma

JT339

Reaction score
I have a few Tacoma and New Hartford built Guilds and was wondering for anyone who has experience with the new ones, how do they stack up? When the new D-55's first starting getting demo'd I remember thinking they weren't quite up to snuff but it's so hard to tell from compressed youtube audio. Mainly interested in the comparison of the higher end models like D-55, F-50R, F-512, ect..

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have a few Tacoma and New Hartford built Guilds and was wondering for anyone who has experience with the new ones, how do they stack up? When the new D-55's first starting getting demo'd I remember thinking they weren't quite up to snuff but it's so hard to tell from compressed youtube audio. Mainly interested in the comparison of the higher end models like D-55, F-50R, F-512, ect..
Never played a 12 string of any kind but the F50R and D55 have been on my "back burner" for a while. To me, they both sound and play beautifully and easily. And similar to shafts on golf clubs, the necks on guitars (although suppose to be exacly the same spec-wise), one will feel better to you. Time, spent playing a certain guitar, will make that guitar feel better or worse - it will not remain the same. Over time your hands will adjust and change and your "favorite" guitar may change, also. Of the D55 and F50R the one you determine is "The Winner" just call BR549 and I will take "The Loser." Ha
Both are just amazing guitars IMHO. And Welcome to LTG.

Last edited:

JT339

Reaction score
Thanks, and you're right my D55 and F50R both feel a bit different despite being the same specs on the neck dimensions. Which one is better depends on the mood I'm in on the day. It's pretty ridiculous how Guild manages to make the tone so evenly balanced, with tons of volume, and easy to play.

I guess mainly I was trying to figure out how the new Oxnard made Guilds compare to all the previous generations, particularly Tacoma and New Hartford. My hope is that it's not much different at all just in case something happened and the ones I have need to be replaced. Like I said I heard a couple of YouTube videos that weren't quite flattering but it's so impossible to tell since you never know what equipment is being used to record the audio, the quality of the room they're recording in, ect..

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks, and you're right my D55 and F50R both feel a bit different despite being the same specs on the neck dimensions. Which one is better depends on the mood I'm in on the day. It's pretty ridiculous how Guild manages to make the tone so evenly balanced, with tons of volume, and easy to play.

I guess mainly I was trying to figure out how the new Oxnard made Guilds compare to all the previous generations, particularly Tacoma and New Hartford. My hope is that it's not much different at all just in case something happened and the ones I have need to be replaced. Like I said I heard a couple of YouTube videos that weren't quite flattering but it's so impossible to tell since you never know what equipment is being used to record the audio, the quality of the room they're recording in, ect..
HI JT, welcome aboard!
Absolutely correct about sound quality in YouTube vids, wise caution there on your part.

I think the "not much different at all" will turn out to be the case.

IF you limit the question about Cordoba versions to "high-enders", it's still kind of early in the game because Cordoba only started making D55's and F55's (the new F50R designation) and the new F512, in the last year or so and production volume's nothing like it was previously, "yet", ("we hope").
Jury's still out for a lot of us but I do recall a pretty high level of new owner approval on Oxnard D55's and F55's, limited though those reviews may be, in number.
Knowing the forum's search function isn't always very user friendly, allow me to post this thread started by one of the very first F55 owners, and bear in mind we go off subject a lot when exploring tangentially realted issues to an original question.
And sometimes just for a little "humor breather", but we definitely get down to a lot of nitty gritty that way:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...of-the-NEW-OXNARD-F55e/page3&highlight=oxnard
D55 in-store review by a member, reviewer was a bit disappointed, but allowed that there may have been mitigating factors, and couple of new owners were extremely happy:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...a-new-Oxnard-Made-D55-Today&highlight=Cordoba
This one explores a lot of questions that have come up about Oxnard's "construction philosophy" and other related issues:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...ild-s-are-Over-Priced/page6&highlight=Cordoba
Let me make it clear here I'm absolutely still in the "on the fence" category regardless of what any previous comments might imply, and I'm personally happy just to see Cordoba out there trying to do their best.
A couple of guys here have had some issues with certain of their practices and "transparency", and given their total numbers of guitars owned from New Hartford in particular I give their opinions a lot of credibility.
Primary purpose here is to give you some starting info, you can make up your own mind.
I do have dogs in the fight related to warranty issues, and I'm not 100% confident they'll be able to handle my particular need, but more important, I have a "pipe dream" build I'd like to see 'em re-issue one day, and am keeping my fingers crossed they'll eventually take custom orders.
I'm a loyalist but not a "Koolaid Drinker"
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome JT339! I have an F55 natural that I bought on Reverb headed this way and in the coming weeks will be doing a NGD / review.

I have owned quite a few guilds over the last 4 or 5 years. Lots have come and gone for various reasons. Didn’t bond. Wanted to fund another purchase. The list goes on. In that time i have only ever owned one NH, CT Guild and it was an F30 orchestra model with cutaway and a burst top. The 1 3/4 nut width was something that I never could truly bond with. The guitar itself had a pretty solid tone. Nice and woody. Good note separation. Not very loud. Truthfully I wasn’t blown away by it. However, I know there is a lot of love for the NH Guilds here on the forum. All that to say I have not much NH experience from which to draw a comparison once I get my hands on the Oxnard F55..

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a few Tacoma and New Hartford built Guilds and was wondering for anyone who has experience with the new ones, how do they stack up? .....

Judging from the fact that Guilds have stayed consistently excellent through all their many moves and owners, I'd be willing to bet that the new Oxnard-builds keep to that tradition and remain consistently excellent.