Guild X180 w/ custom pickguard

JT339

Reaction score
Thought I'd share some photos of my Guild X-180 with custom pickguard made by Leroy Ailleo. 12" radius, plays like butter, and has one of the best hollow body sounds I've ever heard. My only complaint was the original pick guard which I thought was fugly, that's the only part that's not stock. It's not the end of my hollow/semi-hollow search. I still plan on ordering a custom Starfire VI from the new Guild factory when they start taking orders but that will probably end it for me. I believe this one is early 2000's.

Pics have been updated to show new pinned bridge:

BJc3PCI.jpg

ecVdsKU.jpg

rPNCnNa.jpg

U6NLqPQ.jpg

Last edited:

X-170AB

Reaction score
Nice X-180 (a Park Avenue, I assume)!
Nice pickguard also, very L-5ish, if you don't mind my saying so.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That’s really nice. I’ll bet it sounds wonderful. If it’s anything like my X-500, it would be hard to imagine a better guitar.
Enjoy!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Very nice photos! Beautiful guitar. Welcome to the LTG Forum. Lots of good folks around here. :welcoming:

Hans Moust (post #2) is our resident Guild expert. He is the author of "The Guild Guitar Book (the Company and Instruments 1952-1977)". It was published in 1995, but copies can be found on the second-hand market and digitized versions.

JT339

Reaction score
Ah yes that's right, it's spelled Leroy Aiello. I actually never met him in person I just mailed the old guard to him and he measured it, sent me back this new one that fit perfectly. He even matched the binding on the pickguard to the body of the X180 based on photos I sent in. That's also correct it's a 2003 Park Avenue, good eye (had to go re-check all that stuff on the receipt - had forgotten that part of it).

I think the only other thing I'm going to consider changing is the bridge, when you start getting a little crazy with bending strings the bridge does have a tendency to move on me since it's not pinned to the body. I'd prefer to have one that I can intonate. Anyone know where you can get a good replacement bridge for this particular model that has the ability to intonate each string individually?

JT339

Reaction score
Sorry to bump, but does anyone have a recommendation on a bridge replacement that would allow me to intonate each string individually while maintaining the aesthetic of the current bridge that's on there? Or at least something in that ballpark.

If I can find one that'll fit my needs I'll definitely pin it to the body, make things easier on myself in terms of staying in tune while bending. I've tried putting double sided tape on the bottom of the bridge I have now but it's still not enough to keep the tuning stable when doing whole step bends.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
have you looked on StewMac and Allparts? there's a range of tune-o-matic and roller bridges available on wooden bases.

gilded

Reaction score
You might try roughing up the bottom of your bridge with sand paper.

Sometimes people put a few small drops of lacquer where the bridge and the top meet.

Or you can put small pieces of tape at the sides of the bridge, so you'll know where to move the bridge base back to, when your bends push the bridge out of place. I can't tell you what the best type of tape for this purpose is and I don't know what the adhesive qualities of any particular kind of tape would do the top of your guitar, long or short term.

There are other things you can do besides 'the pin', but somebody else will have to handle that for you. I'm out of ideas.

Good Luck!

JT339

Reaction score
Thanks... Shows how stupid I am, checked a bunch of websites except for Stew Mac. They had exactly what I needed with gold hardware. Will update the photos when I get it pinned on there.

JT339

Reaction score
Just got it back, should of have it pinned a long time ago. Sounds better than before and for once the tuning stability is perfect.

Updated pics:

BJc3PCI.jpg

ecVdsKU.jpg

rPNCnNa.jpg

U6NLqPQ.jpg

Last edited:

dbirchett

Reaction score
That's what I put on my Guildsbyfied X-170. Good choice.

PICT1323.jpg

And I still say that is a stunning guitar!

W

wolf papa

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
I was wondering how many other X-180 are out there, mine is also a tobacco sunburst, were there any other finishes? don't know the year of mine

Gorgeous pickguard, and nice intonating solution with the gold tune o matic