Guild Masteramp

Vermonter

Reaction score
Bqr07LbnFUk
I just picked up an early Guild Masteramp. It’s at the tech’s place right now for a going through. I talked with him last night and he said this is a very early Guild amp and it has no power transformer. I’m looking for any info on this, especially if there are any schematics available anywhere. I’ll post pics when I figure out how again.

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats. Steve (Default) will be getting to you about it. He’s the resident expert on these. (It’s his busy season, so it may be a day or so.)

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It needs an isolation transformer to be safe. I'll get you the n/m when I get home. I *think* the easiest thing to do is convert it to a shorty 3 prong plug and get a plugin iso-tranny. Not much space on the chassis. Pics?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
You can email them to me and I can post them if you want. Clink on me profile and there should be a link for that.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
No, they aren't. :-( The RCA speaker is correct, and the date is right. Mine looks like the 10th week of 1956.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
There's another one. I have 2 with power transformers, and Acornhouse has one with a pt. This one has internal filtercaps, in the spot where the tranny is on ours.
I'll have to see how much space the is inside the cab for the iso-tranny. These are very shallow amps. A regular 12"speaker will prevent the chassis from being installed...

Vermonter

Reaction score
Thanks!! Still looking for a schematic for this amp. Any ideas? Thanksagain!!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks!! Still looking for a schematic for this amp. Any ideas? Thanksagain!!

There are none. That's a project of mine.

Off the bat, those yellow filtercaps on the far right need to be replaced, pronto. You don't need Spague atoms or anything crazy installed for the filtercaps. the max voltage 50L6s can handle is about 200 volts.Those two manky looking wax caps on the board are done. The caps for the trem should be on the back of the board. They need to go too.

Vermonter

Reaction score
I’m wondering now if my best bet is to have the amp guy build a Masteramp clone from where they first started putting transformers in them, and put it in this chassis. I think there are schematics out there for those. Anyone here ever do that before?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Look, have him recap it and put a short, three prong plug on it. bolt a Triad N53-MG into the bottom of the cabinet. Plug the three prong plug from the chassis into the Triad. Buy tge transformer from Arrow Electronics, they have a 12% off coupon and offer free one day fedex shipping. It will all be a helluva lot cheaper and easier doing it that way, than gutting it and building something else in it. If you are going to do that, sell the thing to me and use the money to have him build you a tweed deluxe clone. There aren't many of these still around.