Jerry Garcia on a D25

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
WW I think it was decided that it was a hog top D25 Jerry G was playing..much like your beloved Guild..

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
WW I think it was decided that it was a hog top D25 Jerry G was playing..much like your beloved Guild..

yeah that is what i always thought, but then i saw Hans said it was a D15, but i might have been late to the post party and missed the context of the D15...:)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
yeah that is what i always thought, but then i saw Hans said it was a D15, but i might have been late to the post party and missed the context of the D15...:)
Hans was talking about the guitar in the Weedhawks vid, maybe it's not showing the pic in you browser.
Hans corrected my guess it was a D25Br.
Still not sure what the giveaway detail is, unless it's the headstock inlay (which I thought was the gold silkscreen but now can't be sure), or maybe the tuners, if not both?.
Maybe even the TRC?
Looked at a couple of their vids and thought it was a flatback, that's why I thought it must be a D25.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hans was talking about the guitar in the Weedhawks vid, maybe it's not showing the pic in you browser.
Still not sure what the giveaway detail is, unless it's the headstock inlay (which I thought was the gold silkscreen but now can't be sure), or maybe the tuners, if not both?.
Maybe even the TRC?
Looked at a couple of their vids and thought it was a flatback, that's why I thought it must be a D25.

thanks for the context Al. I read too fast. I read at times as fast as I change strings. :)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Maybe even the TRC?

The D-15 does not have binding and the the D-25 does. Those tuners are also period correct for the D-15. That is a great video!

fuman

Reaction score
I don't have any pics, but Bob Weir played an F-50 back in the 70s, and he has claimed to have had some involvement in the decision to put an arched back on it to help it project better.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't have any pics, but Bob Weir played an F-50 back in the 70s, and he has claimed to have had some involvement in the decision to put an arched back on it to help it project better.

Bob's F50's have been discussed in detail before and there were actually several of 'em.
There still seems to be some historic uncertainty about precisely "when" certain of 'em were built, although Hans nails at least one example down to the "late '60's".
He may have more precise info in his records but just didn't dig it out for us when posting at the time.

To be clear, the F50 always had a maple arched back, but there was some "experimentation" with backs on F50R's, there being at least some produced ca '67 with an arched rosewood back.
Moderator Chazmo had one.
Later on the F50R's got standardized with flat backs.
Don't think Weir had a hand in those '67's, think it was way too early, don't think they "got in tight" with Westerly until '69, but we know he did order up several around '69 with rosewood backs and a very large headstock.
We had a member report owning one, seemed pretty credible, claimed it was one of 6 "IIRC".... I seem to recall Hans commenting on an article about 'em that he wasn't in 100% agreement with the timing reported in it...will try to find that thread....hold on.....here we go:
See post #17 in this thread for Hans' post about the timing of the build of 'em:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?197371-F-50R-quot-Special-quot-on-Facebook
And this thread has some more background on the distinctions between his various F50's:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?185399-Bob-Weir-and-his-Guild-F50/page3

See post # 25 for the member who reports having one from the "batch" with the large headstocks, and posts numbers 3 and 4 for more confirmations about the "what and when" (and pics)
:friendly_wink:

Last edited: