Jerry Garcia on a D25

geoguy

Reaction score
Interesting . . . I wonder if he borrowed that guitar specifically for that show.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just to make it easy!

loyola2-980x672.jpg

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Man, I miss that Group. I went to school at UW Lacosse not too far from Madison. We went to see the Dead probably at least 4 times in my college days. They played so long that at one concert they actually cut the electricity because they wouldn't quit playing. I wasn't a Guild lover at that time and can't remember what they all played, but I do remember (kinda) that it was superb.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool...Fellow Deadheads will enjoy this...I can't recall seeing a pic of Jerry playing a D25.

https://www.jambase.com/article/loo...WbU1try5ZcXoYx7cTdf976w5vw30bBl3hWt5hToAcgFT0

It's been up here before, but it's hard to find.
Actually the last time we saw it I seem to recall some question of whether it was actually a D25 or D35, or now that I think about it, were there 2 Guild dreads on stage?
Think one of 'em was a "Brown" ?.
Think Mavuser had the best reasons for a positive ID but can't recall what it was.

Neal

Reaction score
The early '70's D-35's also have dark binding and a gold silk-screened logo.

I can't see inside the guitar to see if there is bracing. The top would have had to have been a particularly dark set of sitka for it to be a D-35, given that they were not stained.

Mine is that dark, but it is also 45 years old now...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Looks like a D-35 to me.

Dark binding and a gold Guild logo looks like a D-25 to me.
I see your point but they're not definitive details for one or the other in this case.
D-25's and '35's started of as fraternal twins in '68, both flat-back 'hog bodies.
The only difference was the tops, D25 having 'hog and D35 having sitka.
I do see pics now of D35's with white (layered) binding; but they weren't always that way.
Purported to be a '73, and D25's never got spruce with a flat back:
1973-Vintage-Guild-Acoustic-D35-Guitar-_1.jpg

and D25's got white binding too, at times.
'77 D25CH:
000000112946433-00-500x500.jpg

And both had gold logos at some point at least, D25's until well into the '80's.
At the time of that photo, '78, D25's had spruce tops, so as far as I know, without having a clear shot of the back to see if it's arched, there's no way to be sure if it's one or the other at that time.
I think I remember now, that somebody, if not Mavuser, cited this pic as showing it with an arched back (no visible bracing):
GD_Rambler_Room_111778_rr1-1.jpg

I trust he was able to magnify the pic to be sure about that (I've seen him do it with other pics recently) , but I can't magnify it enough to be sure of it myself.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

Thanks for having your ears on.
I was working away on that last one while you and Neal were pulling the trigger.
Now let's see if I remembered right...
Aha... I see you thought it was a flat-back D25BR, nothing to do with whether or not back bracing was visible, as Neal mentioned too.
This many months later I'm willing to go along with you especially since the colors are so washed out in the photos.
Oh well another case of remembering the principles but getting the details wrong.
(insert Charlie Brown "sigh" emoticon here)

Last edited:

bronzeback

Reaction score
I'm going with a hog topped D25...me thinks too dark to be spruce. Either way good to see Jerry with a Guild. Didn't realize the pics had been posted before but that article is from a few days ago. The audio link in the article sounds pretty good too. All mics from the soundboard. His playing, as usual, is superb!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score

Whenever I see a folk musician playing the guitar like this... raised up to the vocal mike, I figure he's probably playing the "Lester Flatt G-run" at the end of a verse!

From the info on this this thread, and from the comments section on the Archive.org sound recording, this "acoustic show" appears to have been a one-off event for Charity at Loyola University. The Dead weren't playing an acoustic set that tour, so I would agree that the Guild D 25/35 is likely a borrowed instrument. Maybe it was borrowed from a student that Garcia bumped into on the University Commons that afternoon. Wouldn't that be a story to tell your friends about!

More photos from the "acoustic show":

http://s274.photobucket.com/user/icepetal/library/Dead/Dead 1978-11-17?sort=3&page=1

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
Al, the only things I am bogarting are my D-25 and D-35.

By the way, upon further reflection, I will accept that that is a D-25 flatback with a top lighter than the sides, rather than a D-35 with an unusually dark top.

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
But did Guild make a D-15 in 1978, Hans?

The acoustic Dead show from which the photo of Jerry was taken took place on November 17, 1978.

Or are you referring to the guitar in the Weedhawks video?