Looking for Second Guitar to My 1965 Starfire IV

iamarobotman

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1965 Starfire IV (my favorite guitar I've owned ever), but I find myself wanting to pick up something different sometimes. I love Telecasters, but I want to be different and not cookie cutter. I'm trying to find something contrasts and compliments my Guild and has the mysterious vibe that the Guild does too.

Any ideas on a second guitar for me? Been looking at Gibson Melody Makers and off brands like Framus, etc.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What about a Guild solidbody? A vintage Jetstar with its single coil P90-ish pup will give you a different sound.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Guild-X88-Crue-TopFull-NE.jpg

:emmersed: :encouragement:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total

iamarobotman

Reaction score
Do you have a price range? How about a 70s solid body Guild M-75 Bluesbird? They're the Guild answer to the Les Paul and just as universal. So sweet! Also, they have HB-1 pickups!

If you have deep pockets, you can try to snag one of the late 60s-70 hollow body examples which are definitely unique.

Since I already dished it out for my Starfire, I'd like to stay under $800 honestly. I know that cancels out a ton of cool vintage options, but I'm open to ideas for sure!

iamarobotman

Reaction score
I've finally narrowed it down to these two choices:

2018 - Fender Classic Series 50's Telecaster - Made in Mexico, but still plays and sounds great for the price ($600)
1974 - Guild S-50 in Black - Made in USA, vintage. I really love this guitar, but the pickup in the middle will take getting used to. I keep tapping it with my pick and it's noticeable when playing. ($800)

I'm obviously a huge Guild and vintage guy, but I have to be practical, since I already own a 1965 Starfire and need something for touring. Which one do you think?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've finally narrowed it down to these two choices:

2018 - Fender Classic Series 50's Telecaster - Made in Mexico, but still plays and sounds great for the price ($600)
1974 - Guild S-50 in Black - Made in USA, vintage. I really love this guitar, but the pickup in the middle will take getting used to. I keep tapping it with my pick and it's noticeable when playing. ($800)
I'm obviously a huge Guild and vintage guy, but I have to be practical, since I already own a 1965 Starfire and need something for touring. Which one do you think?
Since you're interested in the Tele, I'd still say give that T250 a look, can you say "Roy Buchanan"?
But I'll assume there's a good reason you didn't mention it, and to be honest, since you actually want to tour, that does put a different set of priorities in place:
Like how much would it hurt if the guitar was damaged or stolen, besides the difficulty of replacing?
Even as a hardcore Guild loyalist, I have to say I suspect the Tele'd probably be a heck of a lot easier to replace than a vintage Guild, and hurt a lot less because of it.
I don't think anybody here would fault that choice, but we probably ain't interested in pics of the Tele.
:biggrin-new:

iamarobotman

Reaction score
Since you're interested in the Tele, I'd still say give that T250 a look, can you say "Roy Buchanan"?
But I'll assume there's a good reason you didn't mention it, and to be honest, since you actually want to tour, that does put a different set of priorities in place:
Like how much would it hurt if the guitar was damaged or stolen, besides the difficulty of replacing?
Even as a hardcore Guild loyalist, I have to say I suspect the Tele'd probably be a heck of a lot easier to replace than a vintage Guild, and hurt a lot less because of it.
I don't think anybody here would fault that choice, but we probably ain't interested in pics of the Tele.

That headstock does not inspire me in the least bit!

iamarobotman

Reaction score

Yeah, the whole Telecaster being versatile and a tank is what appeals the most to me. What doesn't appeal to me about it is that everyone plays or has one! I know the audience doesn't care really, but I do! The Guild S-50 would be a rare beast on stage and for $800 I wouldn't worry as much about it. The pickup in the middle is the one thing that is weird for me and I keep tapping the pickup with my pick, but I could adjust I'm sure.

Last edited:

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
If you like Teles but want to stand out, are you familiar with the Telemaster? It’s basically a jazzmaster body with Tele appointments. You might find them listed as Jazzcasters or Offset Telecasters.