where's All the Dv-4"s gone?

Reaction score
Not that many years ago I played a DV-4 at a Pittsburgh guitar store, and I'm just Gonna say it.. It was the Best Sounding Instrument I've ever played In my Life! I still remember the Sustain that went on forever and the Volume and warm Tone this thing had, the kind of Guitar that you can feel the vibration of the notes in your chest, Ya it was Love at 1st strum.. I believe It said made in Tacoma washington.. I couldn't afford it at the time and have NEVER seen one since? especially made in Tacoma.
I would Love to get One, It was Nothing Fancy no inlays or gloss finish.. Just Magical performance

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Not that many years ago I played a DV-4 at a Pittsburgh guitar store, and I'm just Gonna say it.. It was the Best Sounding Instrument I've ever played In my Life! I still remember the Sustain that went on forever and the Volume and warm Tone this thing had, the kind of Guitar that you can feel the vibration of the notes in your chest, Ya it was Love at 1st strum.. I believe It said made in Tacoma washington.. I couldn't afford it at the time and have NEVER seen one since? especially made in Tacoma.
I would Love to get One, It was Nothing Fancy no inlays or gloss finish.. Just Magical performance
There is one in Lovettsville, VA near DC that is listed on craigslist. If I were visting our son in Falls Church, I would go take a look with intention of buying. Nice guitar.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
They're out there, but you may have to be patient. Here's a post from a forum member who recently found one at Guitar Center. The asking price for the Virginia DV-4 on Craigslist might be a little strong. Note that both the DV-4 and DV-6 (the rosewood version) were made in Tacoma and also in Mexico, and I would expect they are not the same guitar.

Where are you located?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
There is one in Lovettsville, VA near DC that is listed on craigslist. If I were visting our son in Falls Church, I would go take a look with intention of buying. Nice guitar.

At least an hour's drive. Folks in Western Maryland are also somewhat close.

Vanish Brewery is one of the best BBQ places in the region. (I understand there is regionally fueled controversy over whether the name of the food genre is BBQ or barbecue or something else. I chose the term they have on their menu).

Okieguildfan

Reaction score
They are definitely out there. Some you will find are made in Mexico, but like the post says above, I recently snagged one at Guitar Center from Tacoma. Huge bang for the buck. The GC return policy takes a lot of the risk out.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
They're out there, but you may have to be patient. Here's a post from a forum member who recently found one at Guitar Center. The asking price for the Virginia DV-4 on Craigslist might be a little strong. Note that both the DV-4 and DV-6 (the rosewood version) were made in Tacoma and also in Mexico, and I would expect they are not the same guitar.

Where are you located?
Agree the asking price is on the high side. However, he says "best offer" and I would hate to offer him $550 I had set aside to fill medical prescriptions. He will come down.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The Tacoma DV-4 was the same formula as the Westerly DV-6: 'hog flat-back/body w/ spruce top.
THAT formula included shaved braces, don't think Tacoma used those.
Instead I suspect they used their standard red cedar bracing which could be made lighter for the same strength as sitka, accomplishing the same purpose tonally.
Anyway, the "DV" formula originally meant shaved (or scalloped on the DV52) braces, AA sitka tops, neck and end block selected for lightness/strength; and sanded back/sides for resonance.
At the time it filled the D40 slot, as D-40 was on hiatus.
There was even a DV-4 and even a DV-25 (flatback) out of Westerly very late in the game, and the D40 was re-introduced in '98, I think it was.
Anyway you should know that all those share the same basic hog-body flatback formula and are worth checking out if possible.
None of 'em (except D-40's) are all that common having only ever been built for maybe 2 or 3 years in either location.
But Tacomas do have more of a rep for lighter more resonant builds than Westerlys in general.
The Westerly DV's were the pioneers in trying to build really light and resonant pieces compared to the standards of the time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
ya it's a bummer.. I'm This close to Buying a 1974 local guy's D25m for spite! You know how the Old song goes
if you can't be the one you love..buy another Guild