50's x-400 x-500 vs epiphone regent delux, other possible contenders?

rshinn32

Reaction score
Hello, I'm writing this post to hopefully get some thoughts on what I might look for for my next guitar. A couple of years ago I posted on here about buying a 2012 T500. I bought that guitar and absolutely love it. However, I'd also like to have a 3 and 1/2 inch thick bodied guitar. Whenever I hear those, I just love the bigger deeper base and the sound seems to be more crisp and clean, somehow. Maybe age has something to do with it. But, I'm thinking this may be my last guitar I buy, to last me the rest of my life. So, I'd like to make the best choice I can. Also, my price range is probably under $3000. So, that limit's me a fair bit.

I've been looking at Ephiphone zehpyr regent deluxes for a while. Most of them seem to be out of my price range. But, there's this one, as an example, that's just a bit over:

https://reverb.com/item/10138791-ep...h1bNQP4EAQYBSABEgJ-2PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

I've heard a few of those on youtube and absolutely love the sound.

Recently I found this x-400

https://reverb.com/item/14098937-19...h32jwI5EAYYASABEgI7fPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

It has a big markdown in price, considerably cheaper than the ephiphone. But, I haven't been able to find any demos on youtube. So, don't really know what it sounds like. But, I love the way it looks. Can't tell if the back is flat or arched. Maybe somebody here knows.

And this lovely x-500

https://reverb.com/p/guild-stuart-x...AQYASABEgJ3rfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&hfid=15430297

Price is right and I've heard a couple of these on youtube that sound beautiful. Ditto about the back arch question. I know this guitar is a bit broader than the x-400. So, I guess that would give it even more base. But, other than that, I'm not sure what other significant differences there might be. I'm 6'1". So, I don't think size should be a problem.

Also, saw a youtube of what looks like a modern x-500 (Guild American Patriarch X-500), which sounds great. I wonder if folks have thoughts on the vintage ones versus newer. I believe all the newer ones are made in korea.

The style of guitar I like to play could probably best be described as the 'Bakersfield' sound, truck driving songs (six days on the road, nitro express, truck drivi'n man), johnny cash (folsom prison blues, one piece at a time. So, basically songs that sound best with a big solid base and lots of depth. And, I do play out, with a full band, including pedal steel. So, I wan't it to sound as good as it can for the audience as well as myself.

Also, please let me know if you think about other makes/models/decades (60's, 70's etc) that I should consider.

Anyway, I hope some folks have fun with this question. And, really looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks very much.

Richards

kakerlak

Reaction score
The '53 X-400 is awfully cool. For what you play, I'd look for any of the big bodies Guilds with either Franz pickups or DeArmonds. The single coils will be better suited to your music. That's essentially everything from the beginning, up throught 1962-ish. I'm sure you can find examples of Gretsches with DeArmonds, if not necessarily Guilds that will give you a good idea of the sound and there's tons of demos of Franz-equipped Guilds from The Paladins and our own Walter Broes.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Also, saw a youtube of what looks like a modern x-500 (Guild American Patriarch X-500), which sounds great. I wonder if folks have thoughts on the vintage ones versus newer. I believe all the newer ones are made in korea.
I have no experience with'em, but the American Patriarch series was built in New Hartford, they were the last gasp of US-built Guild electrics, just so you know.
https://guildguitars.com/g/x-500-stuart/
:friendly_wink:

rshinn32

Reaction score
The '53 X-400 is awfully cool. For what you play, I'd look for any of the big bodies Guilds with either Franz pickups or DeArmonds. The single coils will be better suited to your music. That's essentially everything from the beginning, up throught 1962-ish. I'm sure you can find examples of Gretsches with DeArmonds, if not necessarily Guilds that will give you a good idea of the sound and there's tons of demos of Franz-equipped Guilds from The Paladins and our own Walter Broes.

Ah, so, you'r saying the Gretsches with the DeArmonds pickups would sound similar to the pre 1962-sh big body Guilds?

And, so, I guess the '53 X-400 fits that bill, with the single coil p90s and big body, and would fit better with my kind of music than the X-500?

Oh, and, but, could the x-500 pickups be changed out for single coil pickups?

Oh, Thanks for the names of the bands. I'll check those out on youtube

Last edited:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
All the guitars you listed are nice, quality guitars. They all have pretty different pickups - the epiphones of that era are very nicely built, quality guitars, but those "New York" single coil pickups don't have a lot of real fans, if any.

The Franz pickups on pre-63 Guilds can do some very cool sounds, but they can be very microphonic (= shrill, high pitched feedback!), and they're a bit of an acquired taste. I love them, but I know plenty of people who don't like them at all. The DeArmond pickups Guild used from the late 50's to the early 60's on some guitars are more of a quality item construction wise, and certainly more consistent, but still not for everybody. They're loud, agressive, bright and twangy, great sound if you're into that kind of thing.

Humbuckers are probably the easiest pickups to find sound samples of - they've been on a LOT of guitar since the late 50's.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The Guild Humbucker pickups, the HB-1, are pretty amazing sounding. I have a ‘newer’ (‘84) X-500 with the HB-1’s. I’m definitely a roots guy, blues, Honky Tonk country, rockabilly, and R&B. My X-500 sounds great for that stuff. Don’t think you have to change the PU’s to get a great vintage sound.
I don’t think you could go wrong with that X-400, though.
Good luck with your quest!

rshinn32

Reaction score
Thanks, all, for the toughts. I'm leaning toward the x-400

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Hello, I'm writing this post to hopefully get some thoughts on what I might look for for my next guitar. A couple of years ago I posted on here about buying a 2012 T500. I bought that guitar and absolutely love it. However, I'd also like to have a 3 and 1/2 inch thick bodied guitar. Whenever I hear those, I just love the bigger deeper base and the sound seems to be more crisp and clean, somehow. Maybe age has something to do with it. But, I'm thinking this may be my last guitar I buy, to last me the rest of my life. So, I'd like to make the best choice I can. Also, my price range is probably under $3000. So, that limit's me a fair bit.

I've been looking at Ephiphone zehpyr regent deluxes for a while. Most of them seem to be out of my price range. But, there's this one, as an example, that's just a bit over:

https://reverb.com/item/10138791-ep...h1bNQP4EAQYBSABEgJ-2PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

I've heard a few of those on youtube and absolutely love the sound.

Recently I found this x-400

https://reverb.com/item/14098937-19...h32jwI5EAYYASABEgI7fPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

It has a big markdown in price, considerably cheaper than the ephiphone. But, I haven't been able to find any demos on youtube. So, don't really know what it sounds like. But, I love the way it looks. Can't tell if the back is flat or arched. Maybe somebody here knows.

And this lovely x-500

https://reverb.com/p/guild-stuart-x...AQYASABEgJ3rfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&hfid=15430297

Price is right and I've heard a couple of these on youtube that sound beautiful. Ditto about the back arch question. I know this guitar is a bit broader than the x-400. So, I guess that would give it even more base. But, other than that, I'm not sure what other significant differences there might be. I'm 6'1". So, I don't think size should be a problem.

The style of guitar I like to play could probably best be described as the 'Bakersfield' sound, truck driving songs (six days on the road, nitro express, truck drivi'n man), johnny cash (folsom prison blues, one piece at a time. So, basically songs that sound best with a big solid base and lots of depth. And, I do play out, with a full band, including pedal steel. So, I wan't it to sound as good as it can for the audience as well as myself.

Also, please let me know if you think about other makes/models/decades (60's, 70's etc) that I should consider.

Anyway, I hope some folks have fun with this question. And, really looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks very much.

Richards

Richards,
That X-400 is advertised on the Guitarsnjazz.com wesbsite for $2,295. Click on the "Specials" link under "Products."

rshinn32

Reaction score
Richards,
That X-400 is advertised on the Guitarsnjazz.com wesbsite for $2,295. Click on the "Specials" link under "Products."

Interesting. Do you know why it is on two different sites with different prices? That seems awefully odd.