Guild M75 Pickups

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've always felt that the Guild knobs lacked a quality feel. I have a pile of Les Pauls and the knobs on those feel amazing. Strats don't really do it for me. Check out the knobs on an '80s Ibanez. Now those were some knobs!

zscxmef0livgubfio2ch.jpg

hhuffman

Reaction score
You are correct that all of the others are made of the same plasticy lucite, but for some reason these just seem “cheaper” feeling to me.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Awesome video, GAD ! I tend to have things "dimed", unless I want the darker jazz sound, but I rarely ever go bridge pickup only. Now, I need to go play. Unless....Les Pauls are wired differently than Guilds in how the knobs interact.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Awesome video, GAD ! I tend to have things "dimed", unless I want the darker jazz sound, but I rarely ever go bridge pickup only. Now, I need to go play. Unless....Les Pauls are wired differently than Guilds in how the knobs interact.

They are, indeed! Guilds are wired with independent controls such that you can entirely kill one pickup without affecting the volume of the other in the middle position.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Who doesn’t? (lols). Which is your favorite? After owning a bunch, I’m down to just a R0 that I really like.

I currently have:

2018 R9 with a very vintage correct neck
2014 R9 Made to Measure with a *huge* neck and very deep red back
2003 R7 (Goldtop) w/Brazillian fretboard

They're all surprisingly different. I haven't taken pics of the 2014 yet but the top is magnificent. I hated the 2003 when I got it because it sounded like mud on the neck position but I replaced the pickups and then all the pots and caps and now it sounds freaking amazing. It also has volume and tone controls that let me get those tones in the Bonomassa vid. It is by far the most toneful of the three right now. I like the Custom Bucker pickups in the other two and I think they would do well with a wiring swap. RS Electronics is having a black Friday sale so I'll probably pick up the parts then.

When I bought the '14 my plan was to get rid of either the '14 or the '18 but I love them both. It's a stupid amount of money to have tied up in three guitars, but then when it comes to money I'm pretty stupid, so...

Here's a pic of the '14 R9 from the seller:

LesPaul-2014-R9Top1.jpg

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
That Ibanez knob in GAD's post above is as good as it gets IMO. Great feel if you're the kind of player who uses your pinkie or palm to do quick adjustments while playing. I've got a buncha spares just in case…the only drawback with 'em is their tendency to crack where they attach to the pot posts. (I've had to replace a couple over the past year but was able to super glue one of 'em back together.)

My fav "Les Paul" is a c. 1974 Greco copy with a bolt-on neck and fab Maxon U-1000 (Super '70s) pickups. :) The body is, I think, made of multiple pieces of birch, then chambered and capped with pieces of sycamore, flame maple veneer on top, 3-piece sycamore neck. Plays & sounds terrific, very versatile.

-Dave-

hhuffman

Reaction score
When I bought the '14 my plan was to get rid of either the '14 or the '18 but I love them both. It's a stupid amount of money to have tied up in three guitars, but then when it comes to money I'm pretty stupid, so...

Re: your quote, don't we all? That's a beautiful Gibby! I would like to put some hotter pups in my R0, but am afraid to change such a valuable guitar from stock. I think it's wiser to just mod my non-collectable guitars.

hhuffman

Reaction score
Wow, sounds like they it's a copy in body shape only! Very glad you love It. On the Ibanez knobs, I really like them, so do you want to sell me 4, or a few more in case they crack in installation? Thanks, Heath

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Wow, sounds like it's a copy in body shape only! Very glad you love It. On the Ibanez knobs, I really like them, so do you want to sell me 4, or a few more in case they crack in installation?

No. :devilish: But in case you decide to track some down (Sure Grip I), budget for spares. I don't think they'll fit on standard CTS pot shafts, but I like Alpha pots and the Sure Grips should work on those.

-Dave-