Need Fixit's web site

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I tried a forum search, but it had LOTS of hits on his forum name and it's had to find the one that is more than just his name mentioned in a thread. I need to see if he can work on something definitely , not a Guild. It's an Ovation, and I'm not so happy with it's repair. So, I need to see what he thinks.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you click on his username (of find it via Community->Member's List) and then go to the About Me tab it is listed there. And if one of those many hits was a post by fixit the URL is in his signature.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I just talked to him this a.m. I have his phone number built into my contacts. If you want it pm me and let me know.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I bookmarked his web site. I meant to call today, but got busy at work. West coast to east coast, I sometimes forget to call before 2pm my time. I'll give him a ring on Monday.

beecee

Reaction score
Tom is a wonderful guy. I sent him pix of the lacquer cracks on my D-70's heel and he spent a lot of time talking me off the cliff.

Assured me that from the pix he saw no indication other than normal age related.

I wanted to send it to him but basically said any competent luthier could address.

Luckily McBlane is within an hour of me.

Fixit is very deserving of the praise heaped on him in these forums

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I waited until it was warm enough to ship without concern and sent my Ovation to "Fixit". I kept it well humidified the whole winter to get it as close to being right as it could get. I explained to Tom that even though it didn't look too bad now, that I thought the previous glue job didn't hold and asked him to make it as good as he could and be stable. I got it back and while you can tell it had a split in the front, you gotta' get a lot closer and you can't FEEL the crack any more. He ran a thin strip of wood all along the back side of the crack so it should stay in place. He did the job I wanted done in the first place. Thanks Tom !

p.s. He mentioned I could have saved some money in shipping if I had called ahead and they could have sent me a shipping label. I assume I would need to measure and weigh the box and tell him how much to insure it for. They get a better rate since they have an account with UPS.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very true, John. Coordinating the shipping and everything from the beginning with them made it a whole lot easier. Shipping a guitar makes me nervous because it's out of my protection (even though Al thinks I'm a delinquent dad for not keeping them in their cases) and control. But it's such seamless service. Do NOT hesitate to call and talk to Tom about your needs.

p.s. - the guitar was in my protection (drug related, after hospital discharge) when the damage happened so...... I guess never mind.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Shipping a guitar makes me nervous because it's out of my protection (even though Al thinks I'm a delinquent dad for not keeping them in their cases) and control.

Hey my daddy let me stay out and play until the streetlights came on.
But all the streetlights were in the next town over, ours didn't have any yet.
Besides if you'd stored the ax in its case you'd probably have a wrecked case now too.
:tongue-new:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey my daddy let me stay out and play until the streetlights came on.
But all the streetlights were in the next town over, ours didn't have any yet.
Besides if you'd stored the ax in its case you'd probably have a wrecked case now too.
:tongue-new:
In the condition I was in??? For SURE!! Ambien: The drug that makes you sleepwalk towards all your valuable and cherished possessions, only to ruin them!!

Never again.