Removable Pick Guard Material

CarvedTop

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a removable pick guard material for my Peregrine. I've seen several versions online, one from Klingon and the other from Rokkoman. Does anyone have any experience with either of these, or another brand, and which would you recommend using?

Thanks!

Ray K

kakerlak

Reaction score
I bought a guitar once that had one of those static cling back protectors on it -- it was kind of neat and stayed put well enough. It was a PRS, though, and it did not stick to the tremolo backplate very well, so I eventually discarded it. I'd caution that it's likely to eventually leave some witness of its presence, either in the form of a clean outline where fine pick scratches suddenly stop along the edges of the pickguard that prevented them underneath and/or an eventual variation in finish yellowing b/w the areas that were and weren't covered by the pickguard. Not necessarily worse risks than leaving the top unprotected, depending on your playing style, etc, but worth mentioning.

CarvedTop

Reaction score
Thanks!

I bought a guitar once that had one of those static cling back protectors on it -- it was kind of neat and stayed put well enough. It was a PRS, though, and it did not stick to the tremolo backplate very well, so I eventually discarded it. I'd caution that it's likely to eventually leave some witness of its presence, either in the form of a clean outline where fine pick scratches suddenly stop along the edges of the pickguard that prevented them underneath and/or an eventual variation in finish yellowing b/w the areas that were and weren't covered by the pickguard. Not necessarily worse risks than leaving the top unprotected, depending on your playing style, etc, but worth mentioning.

I’ve done some more Internet research, and it seems that folks recommend using Mylar instead of Vinyl for this application. As I understand it, Mylar has a different chemical compound that doesn’t react to Nitro Cell finishes like Vinyl does. I’m going to try some 7 mil Mylar and see how well it works. And I won’t leave it on the guitar when I’m finished playing.

RayK

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, Mylar has a different chemical compound that doesn’t react to Nitro Cell finishes like Vinyl does.
For sure vinyl will react badly with NCL especially over time.
BUT Mylar isn't normally associated with true static cling properties:
That's why those insulating bags for circuit boards are mylar.
I suggest verifying that whatever is being offered as "mylar" doesn't actually have some kind of low-tac adhesive on it.
In my industry such materials are frequently advertised as "static cling" simply because they're easily removable and re-mountable a few times, without leaving residue on the glass on which they're commonly mounted.
I have no idea whether such an adhesive might also not be a bad thing for your top, so I'm simply suggesting erring on the side of caution.
Good luck!