Square Neck vs. Round Neck Resonators

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Somebody (likely here) explained the difference(s) to me at one time but I'm old and I forget stuff. Can somebody help me out again???

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not to insult you with the obvious, but a Squareneck has a squareneck, and a round... well, you see where I’m going with this.

Or, to actually be helpful, a squareneck is strictly for playing lap steel style, with it laying in your lap and playing with a slide. A roundneck’s thinner, rounder, neck can be played like a regular guitar, with, or without, a slide.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I expected part one from whoever answered this. Part 2 is what I was looking for and I thought that to be the case but wanted to check with the experts.

Thanks Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Squareneck dobros are tuned differently, correct?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Both are usually tuned to open tunings when using a slide. For purely non-slide use, they go be tuned any way you want.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dobros are designed for higher tension tunings like dobro open G, where the two larger strings are tuned up to G and B. I think the strings are heavier also, with a recommended 56/13 for the bluegrass open G, and up to 62/16for regular open D.

beecee

Reaction score
Dobros are designed for higher tension tunings like dobro open G, where the two larger strings are tuned up to G and B. I think the strings are heavier also, with a recommended 56/13 for the bluegrass open G, and up to 62/16for regular open D.

I may have to try that, I usually drop tuning. Either way it would probably still sound like an old scrawny alley cat in heat.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't own a squareneck, but love open tunings on my regular guitars. I fiddle with open D and G, and capo up 2 frets for E and A respectively. I avoid those higher tension tunings.

I don't see a squareneck in your line up. Don't use dobro Open G on a regular guitar!!

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Squareneck dobros are tuned differently, correct?
Yes, usually. Like a standard flattop or classical guitar, there are endless ways to tune them and no hard rules. But the standard squareneck tuning (low to high) is GBDGBD - two major triads an octave apart. Some people like other open tunings better.

The most common roundneck reso tunings are open G (low to high: DGDGBD) and open D (low to high: DADGbAD). Standard guitar tuning is used a lot, too. In fact, I think the lead guitar on "Ode To Billy Joe" is a roundneck reso in standard tuning.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Unless...Ralf
Yup. What's interesting is that, much more than other fretted instrument, a squareneck feels like two completely different instruments standing and sitting. You practically have to relearn it if you change from one to another.

So practicing, it's good to sit if you're preparing for a sitting gig and stand if you're preparing for a standing gig.

Weird, huh?

Neal

Reaction score
Playing a squareneck is a completely different skill set.

First of all, you use a heavy metal tonebar instead of a slide. Your hand rests on top of the tonebar, which you grip between your thumb and middle finger, with your first finger resting on top.

Secondly, in open tuning, minor chords are hard to come by. Good players learn how to bend notes behind the bar to change the shape of a chord, or slant the bar accordingly.

There is a reason that there are not many squareneck dobro players who also sing. Playing one requires your undivided attention.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
. . . There is a reason that there are not many squareneck dobro players who also sing. Playing one requires your undivided attention.
Too true! I usually don't sing when I'm on squareneck. I manage it on a few songs, but while I'm singing, the playing is highly minimalistic. (That's true on standard guitar and mando, too, but much more so with squareneck. It's not really strumming-friendly.)

Last edited: