F-512 vs F-1512

tje1

Reaction score
I am in the market for a good twelve string. I recently missed the opportunity to bid for a F-512(see previous thread).

I wondered what people thought of the Guild F-1512 versus the F-512. Obviously the price difference is huge and I wondered if it was fully justified by the sound( I have not played either), the F-512 seems to have a lot of bling but I am not really interested in that.

On the other hand I love the twelve string sound generally and am able to invest a considerable amount of time in mastering one, so I don't want to get a substandard one. But to swing the finance for a £3.5k(about $4K) for a f-512, it would really have to sound amazing.

I'd go to a guitar shop and try both out side by side but the F-512 only appears available to pre-order so thats not a possibity at the moment in the UK.

Any advice appreciated.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
tje,

The MIC Guilds, a.k.a. GAD, 100-series, Westerly series, are really nice value-priced instruments. Mostly, though, we don't like to compare them to the traditional series of Guilds because in a lot of ways it's comparing apples and oranges. The 1512 is an example of one that's not even all that similar to the F-512. Though I've wanted to, I've never had a chance to play the 1512 model, but a few folks here have said good things.

The F-512 is an iconic axe, tje. I've never heard anything that sounds like an F-512 (or in my case plays like it). If I were you, I'd stay on the lookout for a used one. You situation will be somewhat limited in the UK, but I'm sure they pop up from time to time.

wileypickett

Reaction score
I own (or have owned) almost all of the iconic Westerly-era (and a couple Hoboken) 12-string models.

I also own a 1512 and 2512, and I recommend them. While the latter pair aren't quite as awesome sounding as Guild's best 12-strings, I do find their necks, in many cases, to be more comfortable than the classic models, the intonation perfect, the build lighter. They're comfortable to play, and since 12-strings can be real bears to play, that improved comfort is something to take into consideration IMO.

And the sound of both models is quite good. Before discovering Guild 12s, I owned a couple Taylor jumbo 12-strings. The 1512 and 2512 sound as good, or better, than my old Taylors.

As with any guitar, it's best to check 'em in person before you decide, or if that option isn't available, buy from someone who allows an inspection period / returns privileges.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I sold my F-512 because I couldn't play it very long before my left hand would get sore; it is a particularly wide neck. The action on mine was nice and low too, it just hurt my had to play it, especially barre chords.

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I agree with everything Wiley said. I've owned both a 512 and a 1512. The 1512 was a very big, resonant 12 string. Lots of those wonderful overtones and big chimey sounds. Maybe a bit less than the 512, but on the other hand the 1512 was new and might have opened up a bit if I had given it more time. I agree the playability was very good, right out of the box.

FWIW my current 12'er is a 1969, F212. I really like the 212 as the slightly smaller body size is much more comfortable and I like the bit woodier and more fundamental tone of mahogany.

tje1

Reaction score
Many thanks for all the advice. It is a tricky decision - but I am going to try out a F1512 on friday at a shop and compare it with more expensive Martin and Taylor 12 strings.

I used to have a cheap Indonesion made 6 string and then I was lucky enough to be able to buy a second hand Martin D18 - and the difference in sound and playability was huge. This has made me prejudiced against cheaper acoustics, but I guess there is no particular reason why a Chinese assembler would be any worse than an American.

Br1ck

Reaction score
There is no reason a Chinese assembler is any different than an American. The difference is Guild tells them to make a guitar they can buy for $100, import and sell for $500.

You would be better off finding an F 212, F 312, or F 412 if cash is the issue. Used.

rwmct

Reaction score
The Guild imports I have had a chance to see have all been nice guitars. Have not seen one of the 12 strings though.

Of course, you will want to look them over carefully There is the occasional thread which shows that even Martin has made some guitars that should never have left the factory.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
but I guess there is no particular reason why a Chinese assembler would be any worse than an American.
The key word here being "assembler".
In spite of a longer tradition of instrument construction than any "western" country, in the Chinese factory it's quite likely the instruments are merely "assembled".
The goal as Br1ck said, is low cost production.
No time allowed for fine-tuning fit and finish and those little flaws in MIC product are commented on occasionally in owner reviews, as well as little things like tuner quality.
And they're all poly-finished.
For the greatest part of Guild's history the guitars were built from the ground up, by builders , not "assemblers".
They didn't start with a complete set of pre-machined parts and put 'em all together according the instruction book like so many plastic models (and still don't as far as I know).
The original crew were all ex- Epiphone employees, luthiers by trade, from a period when Epiphone was a high-class maker in its own right.
The tradition was carried on by Carlo Greco, recognized as a world-class luthier in his own right.
I seriously doubt they've got guys like that working a the Grand Reward factory in China where many makes besides Guilds are made under the contract manufacturing model.
Up through end of Westerly at least, and I suspect even after as evidenced by New Hartford's quality, Guild was small enough to have a greater amount of hand-finishing and fitting than any other American maker, barring the boutique 100% hand-made shops.
It was even stated in the first Guild Gallery ('97) that as a guitar went down the line it was vetted at each station and sent back for rework if necessary, before moving on.
In Corona Fender built a brand new building specifically to handle the peculiarities of making acoustic guitars which Fender had no prior experience with, even if they did start using pre-fabbed parts like bracing.
Tacoma was a well-respected maker too before Fender acquired 'em and moved Guild production there.
I've said myself that when I was first getting acquainted with my D25, I noticed how even the inside was as clean and seamless as the outside, not a stray glue-drop or squeeze-out from any of the internal joints.
That's the sign of craftsmen taking pride in their work.
To be fair it's got nothing to do with being Chinese, only to do with the difference between an "assembler" and a "builder".
Guild USA didn't use "assemblers", and I hope that still holds true in Oxnard.
I think the jury's still out on that one, overall.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Al, I kind of wish you'd left that one alone. I heard quite a different story, at least about the MIC Guilds during New Hartford era, from Fender management than you stated here.

Quite frankly, though, tje1's comment was inviting bandwagoning, and I probably should've stepped on it then.

I'd like us to drop this discussion right now.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I got the opportunity in 2014 to play a Brand New New Hartford made F512 and a Brand New Import F1512 side by side in a comparison at my local Guild Dealer. Granted these were 2014 models and not 2018 models. While the F-1512 was a good sounding 12 string for the money it was no where close to being in the same discussion as the F512. Honestly it was equivalent to half of the F512 in tone, volume, and play ability to me. Your experience may be different. Still for the money at 1/3 the price of the F512 it was a good value but you really couldn't even compare it to the NH made F512 they were so far apart. I am now the proud owner of 2 New Hartford made F512's and they are both Amazing. If you get the chance to play a F512 you will understand why the call it the king of the 12 string guitars.

On the other hand if I was gigging in dive bars night after night where things tend to get knocked around a bit I wouldn't hesitate to use a F1512 to avoid having anything happen to my F512's. Best of luck and you really can't go wrong with any Guild 12 string. The ultimate question is how much do you want to spend and what do you want out of the instrument?

TX

Last edited:

Butch

Reaction score
I have a couple,of F512’s, an F612, an F212 and an F1512. There is no comparison between the F1512 and it’s USA manufactured counterpart, however, the F1512 does run circles around pretty much every other 12 string that I have played. Over all, I have been very impressed by the GAD series of Guilds. I have a D140CE that I purchased when they were first introduced and it’s a fantastic guitar. Their quality and sound are excellent.

wileypickett

Reaction score
There's an article in the latest issue of *American Lutherie* about the ever increasing expansion of the use of CNC machines and the effect that has had on guitar making.

I thought I knew in advance where the article was going, given that the magazine is mainly about independent luthiers, many of them working in small one- or two-person shops, and doing much of their work by hand.

But the upshot of the article is that the guitars coming out of places like China and Japan these days -- which rely heavily on CNC operations -- are exceptionally well-made, especially compared with what was being produced in those countries half a century ago.

I imagine most people here have stumbled across something from Guild's Madeira line over the years and knows how dicey those guitars could be! (Though I confess i have one old Madeira jumbo that I like enough to have hung onto it for many years now, and which, no foolin', sounds better than a few "Made in USA" Guilds I've played.)

We all start somewhere, and being able to find a quite decent Japanese-made or Chinese-made or Korean-made guitar for under $400.00 these days is nothing to look down our noses at.

A point made in the article is that young people, or anyone on a budget, has options that simply weren't available to people my age when we were starting out. For not much money, you can find a guitar that plays great, sounds great, has excellent intonation, a comfortable neck, etc.

Those are the kinds of things that make playing a pleasure, which is what keeps us playing. Anyone who gets far enough into it will probably move up the ol' food chain eventually.

Glenn

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You would be better off finding an F 212, F 312, or F 412 if cash is the issue. Used.

Or JF30-12 or JF55-12 or JF65-12. These are all Guild jumbo 12-strings.

Just make sure you know how to check for acceptable neck angle, saddle height, action, etc. Maybe I was real lucky, but I picked up an excellent condition Corona-build JF30-12 for under a grand, and it is spectacular.

beecee

Reaction score
I imagine most people here have stumbled across something from Guild's Madeira line over the years and knows how dicey those guitars could be! (Though I confess i have one old Madeira jumbo that I like enough to have hung onto it for many years now, and which, no foolin', sounds better than a few "Made in USA" Guilds I've played.)

Couldn't agree more.

Frankly mine beat out a lot of higher end stuff that came home for a trial run until I went on a long lucky streak with most of the guilds on my sig.

I'd like to try one of those 11512's

billymox

Reaction score
I owned an F-512 and have played a couple of F-1512 gutiars. I agree with several above who say "no comparison". 12 Strings create a lot of sound and for that reason, I would only consider a rosewood body 12 string. A used F-512 might be found for a couple hundred more than a new F-1512. (ebay, Reverb, Guitar Center) I say there is a lot of variety among the GAD MIC series Guilds, and I think the older GAD guitars in general, were either made better or just sound better. My old GAD-50 is just amazing. I have been going to a shop for 2 months, playing a Seagull Excursion 12 String Sitka top, walnut body, easy to play, very nice sound, very low price.