Neil Young is 73 today

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
And still rockin'!

In the '70's Neil was one of my favorite artists - he lost me as time went on, but man did I wear out "Harvest", "After the Gold Rush", and "Zuma". Still love those albums today...

walrus

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
he got the awesome birthday gift of his house burning to the ground in California fires, unfortunately.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but not a big fan of Neil Young. I liked Crosby Stills & Nash.

Damn shame that he lost his home to fire though. I hope no great guitars were lost!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Damn shame that he lost his home to fire though. I hope no great guitars were lost!

Sadly, there probably were. Neil has a huge Martin collection, including one of Hank William's guitars. Hope that wasn't one of them.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
All of Malibu was on notice to evacuate...mandatory...before the fire spread...hopefully the residents had emergency plans for their prized possessions.

matsickma

Reaction score
It was my understanding that he collected amps and guitars and probably various other keyboards, ert.
Heard he had a lot of Les Paul's, Marshall's, Fenders and who knows what other vintage and classic instruments.
M

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I get a little weak in the knees when he does Unknown Legend with those two GREAT backup singers.
Check out youtube for the Unplugged version and you'll get an idea of what I mean...maybe it's just me. :love-struck:

Joe

tjmangum

Reaction score
Neil still has his ranch, in N. California. This might have been a hangout spot with girlfriend Daryl Hannah.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
"After The Goldrush" is likely the most played CD/Album I've ever owned and still listen to it to this day. Not far behind is "Harvest". Personally, I love much of his music.

Antney

Reaction score
I used to be a big fan. I sorta grew outta him. I thought he was the only reason to listen to csny. To me they epitomized everything that was wrong with rock. I guess Neil is ok even if he married a fish

F312

Reaction score
I get a little weak in the knees when he does Unknown Legend with those two GREAT backup singers.
Check out youtube for the Unplugged version and you'll get an idea of what I mean...maybe it's just me. :love-struck:

Joe

Oh yes, that is one of my favorites, sounds like new strings on his Martin.

Ralph

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Walking the political tightrope, I understand Neil is blaming a certain person for losing his home to the fires. (For the second time apparently.)

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh yes, that is one of my favorites, sounds like new strings on his Martin.
Ralph

I (finally) picked up 4-Way Street on CD and started listening to it again, and am struck by his acoustic guitar tone on his solo acoustic set. When I first heard "Don't Let it Bring You Down" on vinyl a bazillion years ago, I thought I he had an organ playing along there were so many overtones (and a little feedback, too).

F312

Reaction score
Walking the political tightrope, I understand Neil is blaming a certain person for losing his home to the fires. (For the second time apparently.)

“The search for a scapegoat is the easiest of all hunting expeditions.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower
Oh, Happy Birthday Neil.

Ralph

Last edited:

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
He was good 40 years ago, now he's a bit of a bag that contains feminine hygiene products.