Replacement tuners for Mark IV ???

bobdcat

Reaction score
The plastic barrels on my ancient Kolb tuners are shrinking and cracking, and the tuners are getting hard to turn. Who makes drop-in replacement tuners for a 1963 Guild Mark IV classical?

ksib65M.jpg

X3VdweG.jpg

q6TsMJE.jpg

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Roger, you should also check with Tom Jacobs (fixit). He restored the Mark VI Artist Special I have, and perhaps those tuners would work on your (older) Mark IV. Recently, I'd heard Hans was on the road, so you may need some time to contact him.

bobdcat

Reaction score
I think Mark VI and VII tuners are different (37 mm post separation) from the standard tuners on the various Mark models from I - V.
Anybody here ever replaced I - V tuners?

This thread over at UMGF suggests that any 35 mm post separation will fit. Opinions?

https://umgf.com/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=187731&p=2236037&hilit=guild+tuner#p2236037

How about these Golden Age Classical tuners from Stewart MacDonald? Would they work?

Golden_Age_Classical_Guitar_Tuners.jpg

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
How about these Golden Age Classical tuners from Stewart MacDonald? Would they work?
Check the thickness of the headstock. The Golden Age tuners have a baseplate which is .720" (18.29mm) wide. It might be too wide for your Mark IV! I remember Hans said something like the original tuner baseplate was only 17mm wide.
Ralf

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like bad news for me. These Kolbs are not 35 mm. Here is the thread I started on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. I am able to upload pictures there. I have a diagram there with measurements and pictures of my elderly Kolbs.

https://umgf.com/guild-mark-iv-replacement-tuner-recommendations-t195300.html

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Roger
Non-members can’t see the pics there. Can you just tell us the two important measurements: barrel center to barrel center in mm., and headstock thickness.

bobdcat

Reaction score
Barrel center to center = 37 mm
Headstock thickness = 19.5 mm

Last edited:

bobdcat

Reaction score
Well. a little crazy glue in the barrel cracks seems to have fixed the slipping barrel problem, and may keep the barrels from decomposing anytime soon (I hope). Think I'll leave it alone for now unless anybody can steer me toward some 37 mm barrel separation tuners.

Thanks

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That was a good idea, Roger. I'm not sure anything will stop the barrels from disintegrating over time, but you've bought yourself some time. I think you should continue to try to follow up with Hans as he might actually have parts for you. Anyway, best wishes.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

If the metal parts and knobs are still ok - one might consider taking a set of low cost generic tuners and trying to use the plastic parts as replacement for old parts. Naturally the metal shaft diameter would have to be close enough.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That was a good idea, Roger. I'm not sure anything will stop the barrels from disintegrating over time, but you've bought yourself some time.
Yeah, celluloid plastic, especially "vintage stuff" will continue to beak down over time.
Although there are various formulations and some (especially modern plastics) are more durable than others, the component chemicals just don't stay locked together.
The breakdown is accelerated by heat and humidity.

I think you should continue to try to follow up with Hans as he might actually have parts for you. Anyway, best wishes.
I agree, or if not actual original parts, he often has suggestions as to what he'd actually use if he was restoring/repairing the instrument himself.
I'd get 'em in the vault now to have on hand when needed.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This might be helpful.
[video]https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Hardware_Installation/Replacing_damaged_tuner_knobs.html[/video]

I thought there was a video on casting the knobs too, but I can't find it.

bobdcat

Reaction score
Actually, the knobs are OK. It's the plastic barrels that are cracking and shrinking. Once they crack, they begin to slip around the underlying metal shaft, making it difficult to keep the string holes lined up. Eventually, the plastic barrels will fall apart.