Musical Assumptions

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If they're not playing personally, then it's background music and keep it at a level (low) so people can talk and socialize. This is not a concert or anything else..... it's a social occasion!! Not for other people to ENDURE your taste in music. I haven't read all the responses but that's my opinion, and that's what I think!! :stupid:
HA!
With Thanksgiving coming up, you just reminded me of my brother's place.
The Mrs. keeps Kenny-G styled "New Age" stuff going on the background in the misguided belief it enhances a holistic lifestyle...that if it's good for the mind it's good for the body....she's a massage and hypnotherapist.
Yep, nothing like good ol' Kenny G to tense my jaw right up......
Fortunately the (9 year-old) nephew has already rebelled, moving from guitar lessons and Marilyn Manson to piano and (gasp!) classical music!
Which she doesn't comprehend but tolerates.
:biggrin-new:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If they're not playing personally, then it's background music and keep it at a level (low) so people can talk and socialize. This is not a concert or anything else..... it's a social occasion!! Not for other people to ENDURE your taste in music. I haven't read all the responses but that's my opinion, and that's what I think!! :stupid:

+1. It's all about volume! I've had to talk loudly over someone's taste in music so many times, that I can't stand it anymore. Going to a wedding is bad enough (oh, the volume!), but I don't want to do it at someone's house!

walrus

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
I choose the music I like for my environment/background. I make the choice for me. If it is the wrong choice for one of my friends I will gladly turn things off or talk to them about what we might have in common and play that instead. . . .
Yup. If we have friends over and want to put something on the stereo, it'll usually be an instrumental album at low volume, because lyrics are too distracting when you want to talk. And yeah, it needs to be a style we can all agree on.

Interestingly, when there's a big cultural mix in the room - little kids, teens, grandparents, different ethnicities - try Cuban dance music. It seems to cut across all the great divides.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Yup! See #44.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Louis Armstrong said "ALL music is folk music; I ain't never heard a horse sing!"

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Bluegrass but only in the vein of talented pickers. Banjo is NOT included in that appreciation however. I've too many friends who play Banjo and they all sound the same all the time, everywhere. The last festival I went to; Winding Creek in Indiana just absolutely sucked. It was a relatively small venue in a secluded wooded area but was LOUD all night long which means all you heard was banjo; alllllllllllllllll night long.
That being said, camping was fine (no electric except the stage), rained three nights straight (of course), met some fine musicians; and our campfire meals were out of this world. Oh, did I veer?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
5-string banjo should not be dominant unless they're doing a break...just like any other instrument - normally should be a part of the mix such that they don't stand out, but you'd miss them if they were gone.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm a fan of Bluegrass but only in the vein of talented pickers. Banjo is NOT included in that appreciation however. I've too many friends who play Banjo and they all sound the same all the time, everywhere. The last festival I went to; Winding Creek in Indiana just absolutely sucked. It was a relatively small venue in a secluded wooded area but was LOUD all night long which means all you heard was banjo; alllllllllllllllll night long.
That being said, camping was fine (no electric except the stage), rained three nights straight (of course), met some fine musicians; and our campfire meals were out of this world. Oh, did I veer?

Haha - that reminds me, I went to a "dulcimer jam" with my guitar a couple times, never again. Always the same set list, and I couldn't get a note in edge-wise. Shoulda brought my banjo, LOL.

beecee

Reaction score
Boy I've picked up a lot of new music via this thread this morning.

I have the Koln Concert going in the background...all three dogs are snoring!!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Boy I've picked up a lot of new music via this thread this morning.

I have the Koln Concert going in the background...all three dogs are snoring!!

Keith Jarrett plays wonderful music - but to watch him play - it´s like he was bitten by cobra - just like some electric guitar heroes. . .