Musical Assumptions

Antney

Reaction score
My wife and I were invited to dinner at a friends house last weekend. I was told just as dinner was served we were in for a treat. It seems that earlier in the week my friend had discovered Tommy Emmanuel (sp?) on npr and assumed since I play guitar that I like his music. I can appreciate Mr emmanuel’s talent but I’m not a fan of his style of music. So throughout dinner we listened to a playlist of the fore mentioned music. At one point I contemplated sticking my knife in my eye.

I imagine I’m guilty of the same thing though, assuming my playlists are appreciated by my guests. But this morning another friend and his wife invited us out tonight to go to an Irish pub and listen to some music tonight. I’m worried I’m going to hurt myself today.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
How about taking a cleaver along and chopping a hand off suddenly. Like in that lovely movie Harold & Maude ?

Honestly I´m sorry for you. But it will pass - make your wife drive and drink enough.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My wife and I were invited to dinner at a friends house last weekend. I was told just as dinner was served we were in for a treat. It seems that earlier in the week my friend had discovered Tommy Emmanuel (sp?) on npr and assumed since I play guitar that I like his music. I can appreciate Mr emmanuel’s talent but I’m not a fan of his style of music. So throughout dinner we listened to a playlist of the fore mentioned music. At one point I contemplated sticking my knife in my eye.

I imagine I’m guilty of the same thing though, assuming my playlists are appreciated by my guests. But this morning another friend and his wife invited us out tonight to go to an Irish pub and listen to some music tonight. I’m worried I’m going to hurt myself today.
Most of us are and my problem is I like "my kind of music" so much that I want everybody to like it as much as I so it is shared with all.
And when they ride in my vehicle, they WILL hear it as I hear theirs when riding with them. The music I "push" is traditional bluegrass, classic country, and religious songs I grew up on in the 50s and 60s.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would love to go to an Irish pub and listen to the Celtic music! Who cares if they essentially play the same song over and over again? LOL

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
. . . Who cares if they essentially play the same song over and over again? LOL

Hello

I was at Kaustinen Folk Festival about 40 years ago - exactly the same feeling - wherever you go, whoever plays - it is "the same song"

BUT - it must be same for anybody, who starts to listen to "new genre" or whatever - before you get into it, most stuff is more or less the same. And then in every genre there are the gems within truckloads of "that other stuff".

I remember how in 1979 I was with a band and we drove past this congress center, when hundreds of pinstripe suit men were coming out. It looked sooo hilarious. Quickly we thought, that maybe they might think the same way, when they see hundreds in jeans going to rock festival.

My "limitations" are there - I´m more into something, where I can find melody and construction . . . the rest . . . whoever wishes to have it, let them have it as long as I don´t have to listen to it.

For each his/her own

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll listen to a lot of things. I draw the line at rap.

If it's got cool guitar parts, I'm good.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mrs. Dread thinks all bluegrass sounds like Ralph Stanley...

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've tried to "educate" a younger staff member at work, but I haven't quite figured out her tastes in music. Scarily, she has a play list of songs, but often does know who it is. She just knows she likes it. Personally, I have trouble telling the difference between lots of the songs these days too ! I let her listen to a song from Snarky Puppy, from their " We like it here " album, and it had too much of a horn section for her.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

What do you play and listen to ?
Theirs always opioids lol

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I choose the music I like for my environment/background. I make the choice for me. If it is the wrong choice for one of my friends I will gladly turn things off or talk to them about what we might have in common and play that instead. I have given up trying to "educate" or please someone else. That leads to madness. I stopped trying to make assumptions about people's musical tastes from things I could observe a couple of decades ago. A co-worker who ticked many of the boxes of a "goody two shoes" played a lot of Rage Against the Machine. I remember this because a) she raised her eyebrows if I used some of the words that were used in the recordings and b) I ended up listening to a lot of RATM myself.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I appreciate most different styles of music, except: Rap, Disco, Opera, Pop, Christian contemporary, and modern Country/Western. I'll let you know when I think of some more, LOL.

Antney

Reaction score
I appreciate most different styles of music, except: Rap, Disco, Opera, Pop, Christian contemporary, and modern Country/Western. I'll let you know when I think of some more, LOL.

Oh contraire Dread, I played an exclusively disco soundtrack at Mrs Antneys 50th bday bash and it kept the partay moving all night long. But in the end I guess it really does suck.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

What´s left ??

Nordic Jazz ? a´la ECM
Bossa Nova?

ok - I can think some

Accordion - The Devils Lung
Bagpipe big bands.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My friend says "I like BOTH kinds of music, Country, and Western."

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like Blues, Bluegrass, Classic Rock, Southern Rock, and Classic Gospel.

geoguy

Reaction score

Huh . . . I would be delighted if someone played Tommy E recordings for an entire evening!

Better that than most of what passes for pop music nowadays.

Next time, you might consider telling your friend exactly what you wrote above . . . that although you appreciate Tommy's talent, you are not a fan of his style. And maybe ask what other types of music your friend enjoys? Perhaps you'll find something upon which you agree.

Antney

Reaction score
Huh . . . I would be delighted if someone played Tommy E recordings for an entire evening!

Better that than most of what passes for pop music nowadays.

Next time, you might consider telling your friend exactly what you wrote above . . . that although you appreciate Tommy's talent, you are not a fan of his style. And maybe ask what other types of music your friend enjoys? Perhaps you'll find something upon which you agree.

Thank you Mr. Rogers. But seriously if I did that he’d just tell me to STFU and enjoy dinner. We’re close, and when he asked me later if I liked the music I simply said “not my cup of tea, but at least it wasn’t rap”

crank

Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky - it could have been Ynigwie Malmsteen.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
<<snip>> Nordic Jazz ? a´la ECM <<snip>>

I have a pretty good collection of Terje Rypdal, Keith Jarrett, and Ralph Towner on ECM vinyl, and there is something magical about playing that stuff at 3 in the morning (adult distilled beverages optional), and contemplating everything.