You Don't Really Need That Neck Reset

Br1ck

Reaction score
Seriously, I'd like to hear what a luthier would do with this if someone brought it to him and said it was his grandfather's old guitar and wanted it fixed. Reset certainly, with a new bridge, but could a bunch of spruce be spliced in, or are we talking retop?

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

IF - notice IF !!! - that guitar would ever land in my possession - I might try "Something completely different" ( who said that ??? ) - since restoring it to original condition would be tremendeous work - and plenty of money - I might consider fixing the bridge pluis neck joint and then either leaving the top as is - or filling it all with clear resin to fill the holes. Why spend a fortune on beat-up finish of a guitar, that is not unique ?

All this naturally, if rest of said axe were worth salvaging. Straigth neck at least.

ps - why is this forum´s spell-checker interfering, when I type correctly ???

marius

Reaction score
Seriously, I'd like to hear what a luthier would do with this if someone brought it to him and said it was his grandfather's old guitar and wanted it fixed. Reset certainly, with a new bridge, but could a bunch of spruce be spliced in, or are we talking retop?

After scrolling through the owner's Instagram feed, which I linked on the OP, it looks like he met with a Guild rep at NAMM this year and has plans to restore it. I'd assume that means re-top, but I like Nuuska's idea of leaving it as is. Problem is that the hole is just going to get bigger with a heavy handed strummer so a resin fill could be interesting.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
After scrolling through the owner's Instagram feed, which I linked on the OP, it looks like he met with a Guild rep at NAMM this year and has plans to restore it. I'd assume that means re-top, but I like Nuuska's idea of leaving it as is. Problem is that the hole is just going to get bigger with a heavy handed strummer so a resin fill could be interesting.

Given the damage done to the bridge and under the strings (even being uniquely lowered as it is) I think heavy handed might be a mis-statement.... maybe more like hammer handed. Years ago my uncle tried making chef / kitchen knives out of old saw-blades. Maybe this guy tried making guitar picks that way.! BTW - the knives held a normal straight edge well enough to cut through bone easily (i.e., not the sawtooth profile).

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Maybe it's having difficulty with your accent?

What? me hadda da aczent?

Two of them "I tell ya" men sit in a bus.
A lady sits in front of them - she hears them talk.
"Emma com first - den I com - two asses cum togeter - den I com again - two asses come togeter again and I coma again and pee twice - den I coma one moor lasta time."
At this time the lady turns around and says : "Excuse me, but in this country we do not talk loudly about our sexlife!"
Italian man looks at her saying: "Coola down Mama - nobody talka bout sex - me tella me friend how to spella Mississippi!

Reaction score
Guild Total
Given the damage done to the bridge and under the strings (even being uniquely lowered as it is) I think heavy handed might be a mis-statement.... maybe more like hammer handed. Years ago my uncle tried making chef / kitchen knives out of old saw-blades. Maybe this guy tried making guitar picks that way.! BTW - the knives held a normal straight edge well enough to cut through bone easily (i.e., not the sawtooth profile).

Now I know what happens when you play with steel thumb picks.......

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What's funny is I'd like to see how it sounds right now!! It's like a "soundport" on the front. no doubt it needs help, but don't we all......... :afro: