Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Quick M20 Assessment, Please?

That sure is a cool old M20. Are we going to see some new “after” pics?
    1979 Guild F-112 SB
    1990 Gibson ES-347
    2012 Guild F-30
    2015 Alvarez MFA-70
    2015 Martin OM-28 VTS

Planning on it Mikey. Can't figure out how everyone gets these high def perfect photos on the forum, but as soon as I get some free time I'm going to set up a photo shoot.
    I try to think but nuthin' happens.

'63 F30
    '57 M20
    '62 Martin 00018
    '31 Gibson L0
    '35 Gibson L00
    '49 Gibson J50

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jedzep View Post
    Can't figure out how everyone gets these high def perfect photos on the forum
    If you are asking about the mechanics, host the pic elsewhere and link to it or just read http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sho...ictures-to-LTG

If you are referring to the work of the photographer, I suggest you ask for help. GAD, Joe and Grot are three folks who have good pictures and have shared their knowledge. There are several others as well - I hope they forgive me for forgetting their names and not including them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

https://i.imgur.com/qybKNRT.jpg

Here's my saddle upgrade with the nice string break angle and the best neck relief I can get without a headache. Still less than 1/8" string height up at 12. I might stop here and call it a win.

I love the way the Thom-Infelds settle down almost overnight and stay forever.

Thanks for the photo guidance...AGAIN. You'll have to click the link for the 3rd pic. Thinking it never had a pick guard, as there isn't a hint of an outline. I love 'em naked anyway.

Also, I'm getting along OK with the 1 5/8" nut, to my surprise. Perhaps some of the fat has migrated from my fingertips. Unfortunately it seems to have gone to my belly.
    Last edited by jedzep; Today at 12:02 PM.
    I try to think but nuthin' happens.

'63 F30
    '57 M20
    '62 Martin 00018
    '31 Gibson L0
    '35 Gibson L00
    '49 Gibson J50

. . .Perhaps some of the fat has migrated from my fingertips. Unfortunately it seems to have gone to my belly. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlRQjzltaMQ
    Last edited by Nuuska; 11-17-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

Thanks folks. I do appreciate getting pieces of the puzzle, but more the shared knowledge and encouragement of this group. There's always a tinge of doubt when you lay out hundreds of dollars for these relics, and the mutual appreciation you all share for fine guitars helps wash away the inevitable creep of buyers remorse. I've been tempted by some newer old M20's, but the real old guitars get my wheels turning. Then the list of questions begins and back and forth with the seller.

I put the finishing touches on one of the bone prototype saddles I have and it fit nicely into the slot, but that buzz wouldn't go away on 4,5,and 6. I started looking at the nut and thought I might have to shim it slightly to help with the diagnosis, but I started to suspect the low tension of the silk and steel strings that came with it. The problem disappeared immediately when it was strung with the T-Infelds, so now I'm in cruise gear. Even though they're 11's, and tuned down a whole step, the bass strings cleared the frets beautifully...2mm. Just enough pull on the neck angle I guess. Tuned down like this, I'm sure it could take 12's, but that can wait.

I've been polishing my version of the beautiful Elvis Costello's 'Alison', just right for this little guitar, and when I found the tutorial for the intro it turned a day I should have been getting the house together for Thursday's invasion of the family, into a day of playing my new 'small'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aCugB5GDDI

I recently saw the amazing Molly Tuttle up close in the intimate arena of the Cooperstown Concert Series and can't stop working on my picking range and hand speed. A good day...and it's almost cocktail hour. Maybe a perfect day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awFeDMNiKX4
    I always love the crafty and understated licks in Elvis Costello recordings. And wow! That Molly Tuttle picking work is really impressive! I also have to chuckle because I couldn't help but notice the Black Sabbath album cover in the back. Rock on, Molly. . . rock on!

And just so this isn't a complete veer, congrats and nice work on the M-20! I'm often discouraged about trying to resurrect older vintage acoustics, but you've done a bang up job. Enjoy!
    1959 T-100 DP
    1968 CE-100 DP
    1976 BluesBird M-75