NGD: Starfire III-90

Aleph

Reaction score
Thanks for the review and pictures. Now I’m lusting for a SF II/III too!!! :-D

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Makes sense the P90's are louder than the other pickups you mention - typical, even 50's spec P90's, are louder than DeArmond 2K's and Filtertrons, I'd expect as much.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Makes sense the P90's are louder than the other pickups you mention - typical, even 50's spec P90's, are louder than DeArmond 2K's and Filtertrons, I'd expect as much.

I just measured the resistance on the 2K, and interestingly it's only just over 5k - half a typical vintage 2000. I'm aware it's a quite different pickup, but interested that they chose such a low output in the modern era where "power" is king.

According to the website, the Duncan P90 offers resistance of 7.8k

Last edited:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
In the case of a 2K pickup, I guess they could only stuff so much wire into a small housing like that.

Resistance is one thing with a P90, as are those two fairly large bar magnets under the coil - that's twice the magnet of the average humbucker.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
just to say I'm really enjoying this guitar, more than I thought I would. Really responsive, great for digging in. A lot of it is about tweaking the amplifier to a new instrument so you're doing it justice.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
8LbK0hw.jpg

Mark WW

Reaction score
Makes me miss my Corona (Black) SFIII. If it had P90's I would still own it. Beeeeeyootiful!

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Update: I'm really enjoying this guitar. Great tonal balance for me - good bass and top, not excessive middle. The only thing I'm not liking? The Grovers suck. Lots of sloppy slippage. I've always been more of a Schaller fan. Can they be improved?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I love Schallers too, but I've never had a problem with Grovers.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
Update: I'm really enjoying this guitar. Great tonal balance for me - good bass and top, not excessive middle. The only thing I'm not liking? The Grovers suck. Lots of sloppy slippage. I've always been more of a Schaller fan. Can they be improved?

I'm happy with the fit in locking version...

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Do the actual pegs lock from any movement or does it just lock the string down?

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
My beef with Rotomatics isn't about stability (they're fine) but feel. I can never get a sense of how much I need to turn a tuning key to get x amount of pitch change.

My '71 S-100 has a set of '50s-era Grover Sta-Tites on it via the guy I bought it from. They're fantastic! Super stable and very precise. I wish the newer ones, while okay, were this good.

-Dave-