NGD: Starfire III-90

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Fingers crossed I've just snagged this nice Corona III-90. It's not in my hands yet, so I don't want to jinx it. Weirdly it's just up the road from me and been sitting on on Reverb for two months and I never spotted it. I don't know why no one bought it, on ebay they usually sell right away.

Unfortunately it means I might have to let go of the Gretsch Duo Jet I just bought, but Duo Jets are common and III-90s don't turn up every day. This will be my third Starfire - I've had a great playing super mint 1960 with Dearmonds (that I was too young to appreciate at the time - couldn't deal with how pokey the pickups were) and 1966 with mini HBs that suffered from a high action; so with the P90s I'll have done them all. Nothing left to achieve :)

ee7gz8tv5fwwhoqh96gq.jpg

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Very very nice! I love the look of the black pickup covers with the the black finish! I had a Corona BB P90, the Corona electrics are great guitars!

Congratulations!

walrus

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Very very nice! I love the look of the black pickup covers with the the black finish! I had a Corona BB P90, the Corona electrics are great guitars!

Congratulations!

walrus

Thanks. Just arranged to collect it Monday, so it looks like it's in the bag! I was thinking, if I do want to bling it up I could always go with cream covers and clear or cream knobs.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
congratulations! I'd seen that on Reverb, and wondered how it lasted so long, that was a fair price. Cool guitar!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very cool - I've never seen one in black!

If that's a roller bridge it's infinitely better than the stock model though it's always worth having the original.

Nice score!

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have been eyeing that for a while. That is going to be one fantastic sounding and playing guitar.
If I had bought it, I wouldn’t have a place to play it because I’d be living in my car; my wife would see to that.
I’m glad someone here got it. Congratulations! Looking forward to a full report.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Very cool - I've never seen one in black!

If that's a roller bridge it's infinitely better than the stock model though it's always worth having the original.

Nice score!

Actually I am a rare fan of the Bigsby bridge. I even retrofit them to other guitars. Hugely improved the sound and sustain of my Ric 330.

The guy selling it is a jazzer. He just told me Les Paul was a mere showman with poor technique :)

drlucky

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sweet! I'd seen it...would've loved to have bought it, but no spare $$ at the moment. Enjoy!!!

PS...tell the seller to listen to some Les Paul Trio stuff then get back to me... :)

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice! That's the early version with the pickup placed right against the end of the neck.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Nice! That's the early version with the pickup placed right against the end of the neck.

if it needs brightening up I have ways to do that.

By the way, I used your site so many times over the years to find out about more obscure guitars. I think you were one of the trailblazers.

Bernie

Reaction score
Looks very nice : I hope it works good and has no issues. I had been watching these guitars recently, including the Starfire ST II too : they seem to be the only "Les Paul" shaped slim hollow-bodies on the market, among the fancy brands at least (is that right ?), and about the best idea I can think of for a next electric...
I knew someone that had one for a while a long time ago (lent by a friend), and I keep its memory in mind, quite vivid still after about 40 years (must have an ST II I believe). Seems the best formai I can think of right now...Enjoy !

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
beautiful score Parker! congrats and enjoy!!

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks very nice : I hope it works good and has no issues. I had been watching these guitars recently, including the Starfire ST II too : they seem to be the only "Les Paul" shaped slim hollow-bodies on the market, among the fancy brands at least (is that right ?), and about the best idea I can think of for a next electric...
I knew someone that had one for a while a long time ago (lent by a friend), and I keep its memory in mind, quite vivid still after about 40 years (must have an ST II I believe). Seems the best formai I can think of right now...Enjoy !

these are much bigger than a les paul! u want the hollow aristocrat M-75, newark steeet has a beautiful one. i owned one breifly (formerly Defaults) it was a gold top.

Bernie

Reaction score
these are much bigger than a les paul! u want the hollow aristocrat M-75, newark steeet has a beautiful one. i owned one breifly (formerly Defaults) it was a gold top.

No the Aristocrat M-75 is not a hollow-body guitar : looks too much like a Les Paul copy. I was thinking of hollow-bodies when mentioning the Les Paul shape : as a matter of fact I just meant with only one cut-away...That this one is much larger than a Les Paul does not worry me : it's even better with a semi-acoustic guitar (one would need sound to play acoustically). There are hundreds of Les Paul-like guitars - even thousands - whereas I can't think of any other slim hollow-bodies with only one cut-away...Guild had that for a long time. I like it.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Mavuser is right, Bernie. The Aristocrat is hollow even if it doesn't look like it.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
No the Aristocrat M-75 is not a hollow-body guitar : looks too much like a Les Paul copy. I was thinking of hollow-bodies when mentioning the Les Paul shape : as a matter of fact I just meant with only one cut-away...That this one is much larger than a Les Paul does not worry me : it's even better with a semi-acoustic guitar (one would need sound to play acoustically). There are hundreds of Les Paul-like guitars - even thousands - whereas I can't think of any other slim hollow-bodies with only one cut-away...Guild had that for a long time. I like it.

i think u are confusing the NS aristocrat w the Newark Street Bluesbird. the aristocrat is full hollow. like i said i owned one. it also has a cutaway and P-90s/Franz

Last edited:

Bernie

Reaction score
Still, even if you're right, how do you guys know what I want better than I do...I told you of a 40 years memory of a guitar, didn't I ? And it doesn't look at all like this one, which is what I get googling Guild M-75 Aristocrat.
If this guitar is "hollow-body" as you say, and doesn't have any sound hole, where do you get its sound from ? I'm talking about guitars that have a bit of sound at least when played unplugged : aren't you talking about guitars that are empty inside in order to be lighter ?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkbOR75JWEM