Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blues 90 Colors

Quote Originally Posted by kakerlak View Post
    Somebody posted a nice sunburst Blues 90 over on TGP: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...-shop.1049740/

But it's a Chris Fleming one-off of some sort (though it appears to be standard Blues 90, aside from color and a really nice top)
    That's Jahn. He used to hang out here and has some very nice Guilds.
    1970s: [ S70 | S300AD ]
    1980s: [ X79 | X79-3 | 2x X80 | X100 | S270 | S281 | BHM1 ]
    1980s: [ S300AD | X82 | Detonator | Liberator Elite | NB | SF4 | D46 ]
    1990s: [ 2x S100 | X170 | X170T | SB602F | SF4,5 | BB | NB DX | X3000 | DV72 | BM01 ]
    2000s: [ SF3 | SF4 | BB-90 | X160R ]
    2010s:
    [ 2x T-Bird ]
    Amps: [ Yes ]

My Reviews: GADsGuilds.com

That is a Blues 90 prototype made in Corona. Possibly an experiment to see if it was something they could produce.
    I believe at least one more exists.
    BTW, Jahn no longer has it ;)

beinhard

Quote Originally Posted by beinhard View Post
    That is a Blues 90 prototype made in Corona. Possibly an experiment to see if it was something they could produce.
    BTW, Jahn no longer has it ;)

beinhard

That's what I meant by posting outliers. We've established that the trans-red/black/green all exist in reasonable numbers and that there are lots of Bluesbird P-90s out there in other finishes, so let's try and sort out what one-off/extra colors we've seen out there on actual Blues 90s. I want to say I've seen one in natural before, but I've been unable to find it via google, so it might be a bogus memory. I don't think I've seen any opaque ones.

'66 Starfire XII (sunburst) SOLD
    '71 S-100 (natural) SOLD
    '74 Starfire VI (walnut/mahogany body) TRADED
    '94 X-700 (natural)

Regarding the reds and the "black cherry" distinction... I've never paid too much attention before, but do you guys think these are two intentionally different colors?

'71 S-100 (natural) SOLD
    '94 X-700 (natural)

Lemme just spam this up with a third post in a row... Anybody want to take a stab at guessing the production ratios for red/green/black? Reds seems to definitely be the most common. I think I've seen fewer black ones than I have green. Maybe something like a 70%(R)/20%(G)/10%(B) split? Hans?

'71 S-100 (natural) SOLD
    '94 X-700 (natural)

Quote Originally Posted by beinhard View Post
    I know where it is... (not my collection).

Ralf

Quote Originally Posted by SFIV1967 View Post

Ralf
    That appears to be a Bluesbird P-90.

'71 S-100 (natural) SOLD
    '94 X-700 (natural)

That's was my first impression too, but the white knobs (from a Fender amp) suggest that it might actually be a Chris Flemming prototype, emphasis on "might." The known prototype has the same knobs.

Maybe Mr Flemming didn't like the clear Guild knobs. I know I don't. The first time I saw a photo of Jahn's with white amp knobs I immediately placed an order for black amp knobs to match the black (aftermarket) pickups on my red Blues90. Looks much better to me. I know, without photos it never happened and nobody cares...
    DTC

1958 T-100, 1964 S-50, 1964 M-65, 1976 S-300 (bolt-on neck), 1977 D-25, 1977 S-300, 1979 S-300A, 1983 S-25, 1984 Detonator, 1987 Nightbird (spruce top), 1988 D-15, 2001 Blues90, 2002 Bluesbird P90, 2014 Aristocrat

Quote Originally Posted by SFIV1967 View Post

Ralf
    I was thinking of the one mentioned here:
    http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthr...=1#post1539192

beinhard

That's what I meant by posting outliers. We've established that the trans-red/black/green all exist in reasonable numbers and that there are lots of Bluesbird P-90s out there in other finishes, so let's try and sort out what one-off/extra colors we've seen out there on actual Blues 90s.
    Black Cherry/Ebony Transparent/Emerald Green Transparent show as standard for Blues 90's on '01 price list, but no "reds".
    Regarding the reds and the "black cherry" distinction... I've never paid too much attention before, but do you guys think these are two intentionally different colors?

Yes and the first one's not Black Cherry, either.
    (There's a chip of "Black Cherry" in the '01 Fender Frontline catalog)
    I'd almost say the first one's an earlier Westerly and the 2nd one is a Corona, if they'd made 'em there.
    Second one looks more like Fiesta Red, but suspect it was actually called something else, being transparent.
    Lacking price lists for years from '97-'01,showing standard colors, it's hard to nail down what it might have been.

For the difference between Ebony Transparent and Black Cherry:
    Ebony Transparent from here:

This guitar is described as being "charcoal" but it's so redded-out on my tube at least, that I suspect it's actually a "Black Cherry".
    Interestingly that listing also says the guitar was acquired from our own Hans Moust whom we know to be an aficionado of black guitars....
    If nothing else it also shows how far colors can drift across the variables of the imaging device, the hosting platforms, and the final display device:

So while that could explain the differences in the 2 reds above, I suspect those actually are 2 different colors. They're just too different.
    Last edited by adorshki; 11-12-2018 at 06:57 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!