PittPastor

Reaction score
My GC has both of these in stock. One is a used Guild DC1E HG True American:

Guild DC1E HG True American Acoustic Electric Guitar
000000113696902-00-500x500.jpg

The the other is a new Guild OM-240CE.
Guild OM-240CE
L21524000001000-00-500x500.jpg

I played them both. But (as I mentioned in a previous thread) the DC1E seems to have Silk and Steel strings which is effecting its tone. I'm thinking of going back in and asking if I can put a new set on it just to see. I wasn't paying attention to the action because I didn't expect to see it. Both felt a little high in action, but I'm planning on getting a setup for either. I will take my scale ruler with me next time (along with a snark)

Wasn't in the market (I'm sure you've heard that one before) but I have been thinking it would be a good idea to have a flattop guitar I could travel with. I'm thinking of trying to work a trade for another guitar I have (not Guild).

I think one of these might fit the bill for a travel guitar. As far as I can tell the specs are identical: 11/16" at the nut 16" radius. 25.5" scaled length. Both cutaways. Both onboard electronics.

Anyone have experience with either of these enough to offer some info? Thx!

Okieguildfan

Reaction score
I've played the OM and models similar to the DC1E. My thoughts for travel are:
1) Cases - OM comes with a padded case - not sure what the DC1E comes with. Some folks prefer the hard cases for travel.
2) Weight - The models similar to the DC1E that I played tended to be heavier
3) Depth - I haven't looked at the specs, but I would expect the DC1E will be deeper bodied (even though they are both arched).

I would show preference for the DC1 (just as a guitar - unless it needs a neck reset), but the OM I would choose for travel purposes (smaller body, lighter, etc.)

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As far as I can tell the specs are identical...
...except that the DCE-1 HG (DC-1E HG) is a dreadnought (DCE stand for Dreadnought Cutaway Electric) with 15 3/4" lower bout width and a depth of 5".
Whereas the OM-240CE has an orchestra sized body with 15 1/2 " lower bout width and 4 1/8" body depth.
Ralf

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i think the DC1E is really just a D-25 with cutaway. i learned on one in college. it was a beast on many levels. The OM-240ce does not look like a dread. for a travel guitar there is no need to limit your options to only these 2 peices, simply because they are at Guitar Center. maybe try out some really inexpensive (new) imports. u may find a gem!

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Got a DC1E, good guitar.

mav nailed it - pretty much a D25 with a cutaway & onboard electronics.

PittPastor

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback all. When I say "Travel Guitar" I think I used a bad term. (Last time I called it a campfire guitar, and that offended someone who thought I was suggesting burning it!)

I mean a guitar I can put in my Jeep and drive to someone's house, or some place like a church, or even just head to the park, just to play. As opposed to a guitar that I would want to record a track with, or a guitar that I would want to play in a band with. So, it needs to be adaptable. Something that I can play straight acoustic, or even plug in to a PA system. It doesn't have to have the world's greatest tone or sound. It is just a guitar I can pick up and go with, and not worry (too) much if something tragic happened and I ended up losing or damaging it due to wear and tear.

If that makes sense?

...except that the DCE-1 HG (DC-1E HG) is a dreadnought (DCE stand for Dreadnought Cutaway Electric) with 15 3/4" lower bout width and a depth of 5".
Whereas the OM-240CE has an orchestra sized body with 15 1/2 " lower bout width and 4 1/8" body depth.
Ralf

Right.

Ralf, what does the HG mean in the model number? Honey Gold or something?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Got a DC1E, good guitar.
mav nailed it - pretty much a D25 with a cutaway & onboard electronics.
Actually based on D4 for lowest possible cost when introduced, but by the time that one was made D4's could be had with everything D25's had.
See my recap post # 32 here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...-OM-240CE-in-Inventory-Sign-of-things-to-come

I've played the OM and models similar to the DC1E. My thoughts for travel are:
1) Cases - OM comes with a padded case - not sure what the DC1E comes with.
Original case would have been hardshell, they didn't offer "gig bags" at the time.
If they've got it and it's in good nick including low fret wear, that $499's a VERY good price already.

PittPastor

Reaction score
OK. That settles it. I'm going back and putting new strings on it. Even if I have to buy the strings. And I'll double check everything else. The feel of it reminded me a lot of my D40C, which for me makes sense for a guitar to take with me places. Thanks everyone!

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sounds like a plan - may well be worth the effort.
Just got mine out and strummed a bit. Unplugged, imo does not
put out the wall of sound a well-sorted D25 can, but
still sounds good, and the onboard electronics also sound
pretty good amplified.

RxDXRpll.jpg

Last edited:

PittPastor

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan - may well be worth the effort.
Just got mine out and strummed a bit. Unplugged, imo does not
put out the wall of sound a well-sorted D25 can, but
still sounds good, and the onboard electronics also sound
pretty good amplified.

Well, Bonneville88, that guitar there is just gorgeous! If GC had that cool red color, I would have bought it without thinking twice!

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Hey, PP,

Did you ever get the DC1E?

Or do you want a DCE5 for half the price?
img_0001.jpg

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Left to right
DCE1, spruce top, hog sides, arched hog back
DCE3, spruce top, maple sides, arched maple back
DCE5, spruce top, rosewood sides, arched rosewood back

They all play and sound very different - my favorite of the trio is the DCE3 - I liked it
so much I bought another. It's also the heaviest, and has the thickest neck.

DCE1 in a Guild HSC, 16.5 lbs
DCE3 in a Guild HSC, 17 lbs
DCE5 in a Guild HSC, 16.5 lbs

Keep the weight in mind if the use of "travel guitar" is part of what's driving the consideration.
If I were going to travel with any of these, I'd consider getting a good polyfoam case - just
weighed the DCE3 in a ProRockGear Polyfoam dread case, came in at 13.5 lbs - that's
a difference you can definitely feel.

X5ubGFm.jpg

FzqpPgH.jpg

Last edited:

PittPastor

Reaction score
Left to right
DCE1, spruce top, hog sides, arched hog back
DCE3, spruce top, maple sides, arched maple back
DCE5, spruce top, rosewood sides, arched rosewood back

Wow, what a nice trio. I have to say, the DC3 grabs my eye -- but I love the chesterfield. I think it adds class.

When these were new, I am assuming higher number meant higher price tag? Why? What made the differences? Is it just fit and finish, or better electronics, or what?

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
PP - The electronics appear very similar if not the same on all.

I'd say the DCE5 seems to have a slightly upscale fit & finish.
It really reminds me of a D50 I sold recently as far as how it looks, plays and sounds,
but with an arched back and a cutaway - although not quite the volume the D50 had.
Like the D50, I'd say it rewards clean, precise playing.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
When these were new, I am assuming higher number meant higher price tag? Why? What made the differences? Is it just fit and finish, or better electronics, or what?
The body woods, just like their base models:
D4, D30 and rosewood.
And the DCE-3, being on D30, got chesterfield, as well as DCE-5 even though not truly D50-based, because it's got an arched back, and D50's were flatbacked.
In fact D50's weren't even in the line at the time, having been superceded by the glorious DV52's.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Fwiw - my DCE1 appears closer in execution to a D25 than a D4.

Right, but you have a late one, when D4's could be had wit everything D25's had: back binding, gloss, etc.

They started off as HR just like D4's; HR was never done on D25's and when D4's got HG they were spec'd as "HG" which was never necessary on D25's, they were always gloss finish:

dce1.jpg

"Guild's DCE series began with these Dreadnought Cutaway Electric guitars. They were designed as an alternative to imported acoustic-electrics. Guild's balanced acoustic sound, combined with Fishman's new Prefix Pro preamp system with matrix pickups, results in instruments that are capable of real acoustic tone, plugged or unplugged. The DCE-1HR features Guild's hand-rubbed satin finish."
Note also lack of faceplate on that NT finish, D25NT's got a black faceplate with pearloid logo in the '90's.

So the DCE-1 HG might actually be a D25:
dce1-hg.JPG

But again, eventually D4's got everything that was available on D25's.

Last edited:

PittPastor

Reaction score
Hey, PP,
Did you ever get the DC1E?
Or do you want a DCE5 for half the price?

We had our church's 5th Anniversary this week -- so my guitar center time was severely limited! Haven't had a chance to see if I can trade in the Ibanez 12 string I have, or how the DCE1 sounds with the proper strings.

But I am curious... what is the relationship between DeArmond and Guild? And isn't DeArmond MIC or MIK? WHereas, I think, the DC series were all MIA, right?