Guild DC1E HG True American vs Guild OM-240CE

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
DeA's are MIK. The only relationship the DC has to the DeA is hanging on the same wall. :semi-twins:

The DeA's are every bit the current crop of MIK Guilds with the addition of the Gold Tone pick-ups to boot, IMHO.

From Wiki: After Fender purchased Guild in the mid '90s, reissues of some Guild electric guitars were manufactured in Korea under the DeArmond brand name, which Fender also owned the rights to. Import reissue models included the Starfire, X155, T400, M-75 Bluesbird, S-73, and Pilot Bass series. On the front of the headstock, these instruments display the DeArmond logo above a modified version of Guild's Chesterfield logo. On early production versions, the truss rod cover is stenciled with the word 'Guild' stylized and the DeArmond reissue model number, and the back of the headstock is stenciled with 'DeArmond by Guild' above the guitar's serial number. Later production versions drop all references to the Guild brand name except for a modified Chesterfield headstock inlay on most models.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
So overall quality of DeAs... mostly ok? I've seen a fair number
of nice looking ones for sale, prices generally seem very reasonable.
I have one DeA - nothing to rave about but it doesn't strike me
as junky either. Fun to fiddle around with occasionally.

Last edited:

PittPastor

Reaction score
DeA's are MIK. The only relationship the DC has to the DeA is hanging on the same wall. :semi-twins:

The DeA's are every bit the current crop of MIK Guilds with the addition of the Gold Tone pick-ups to boot, IMHO.

Did Guild once upon a time own DeArmond, tho? I just wondered because I thought the DeArmond floating pickup on the Savoy was brought out and sold by Guild once upon a time. In fact, even today on the Guild website, you can buy: "Guild DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1000 Pickup." Not that any of that matters, I was just wondering.

So, I'm curious, since you own a DCE5, how do your DeArmonds compare, in your opinion. Tone? Materials? Fit and Finish? That sort of thing?

EDIT: Just did a quick search -- I see DeArmond Electric solid body and hollow-body, but no acoustics... either on Reverb or on Guitar Center's site. I guess the acoustic electrics must be pretty rare.

Last edited:

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Did Guild once upon a time own DeArmond, tho? I just wondered because I thought the DeArmond floating pickup on the Savoy was brought out and sold by Guild once upon a time. In fact, even today on the Guild website, you can buy: "Guild DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1000 Pickup." Not that any of that matters, I was just wondering.

So, I'm curious, since you own a DCE5, how do your DeArmonds compare, in your opinion. Tone? Materials? Fit and Finish? That sort of thing?

EDIT: Just did a quick search -- I see DeArmond Electric solid body and hollow-body, but no acoustics... either on Reverb or on Guitar Center's site. I guess the acoustic electrics must be pretty rare.

Right. Much like the current situation, acoustics are USA; A/E's are Korean built.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
My DeA is an S67 7-string. Bought it because I found
the looks of it strangely compelling and it
was available for really, really cheap. Perhaps reminded me
a bit of the Gibson SG I had in high school?

Couple of guys absolutely churnin' and burnin' on 7-strings.
https://youtu.be/U48C6FZuzgk

OLT7kHe.jpg

Last edited:

swiveltung

Reaction score
I have a different model "True American" and it's a great guitar. Also, I dont think the older USA Guilds were 16" fretboard radius. 12" aren't they?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have a different model "True American" and it's a great guitar.
Yes, late in the game they put those TRC's 'em on a lot of stuff, I think they just wanted to use 'em up.
The vast majority I've seen were on dreads like my D25, although I seem to recall one oddball sighting on an F-body cutaway-electric, in fact, was that you?
Also, I dont think the older USA Guilds were 16" fretboard radius. 12" aren't they?
Not sure where the 16" ref came from, and need to define "older".
We have seen reports of '60's era pieces with really flat fretboards and recall an electric guy who owned several vintage models (which gave him credibility to me) reporting even a 9" radius, BUT, in the first Guild Gallery (late '97) Guild's Jim Inman stated all Guild fretboards had been standardized at a 12" radius.
Suspect it had been that way since at least '95 and probably longer, but they just wanted to get specs out there.
They published factory set-up specs in that issue too.
Eventually New Hartford took down that stuff from the website, and I never saw any "official" specs for fretboard radius or action heights afterwards.
BUT I've only seen what gets posted here or on Guild's website, never saw any (NH) catalogs.

Last edited:

swiveltung

Reaction score
Yes, late in the game they put those TRC's 'em on a lot of stuff, I think they just wanted to use 'em up.
The vast majority I've seen were on dreads like my D25, although I seem to recall one oddball sighting on an F-body cutaway-electric, in fact, was that you?

Not sure where the 16" ref came from, and need to define "older".
We have seen reports of '60's era pieces with really flat fretboards and recall an electric guy who owned several vintage models (which gave him credibility to me) reporting even a 9" radius, BUT, in the first Guild Gallery (late '97) Guild's Jim Inman stated all Guild fretboards had been standardized at a 12" radius.
Suspect it had been that way since at least '95 and probably longer, but they just wanted to get specs out there.
They published factory set-up specs in that issue too.
Eventually New Hartford took down that stuff from the website, and I never saw any "official" specs for fretboard radius or action heights afterwards.
BUT I've only seen what gets posted here or on Guild's website, never saw any (NH) catalogs.

The OP mentioned both guitars having 16" radius boards. By older I meant USA built. The new ones made outside the US are 16" radius. Not sure about the new US ones though. :>)

PittPastor

Reaction score
The OP mentioned both guitars having 16" radius boards. By older I meant USA built. The new ones made outside the US are 16" radius. Not sure about the new US ones though. :>)

Yep, and for some reason I thought I read that in the catalog I have... but just checked it and the catalog has no radius spec at all. I don’t know where I got that TBH.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yep, and for some reason I thought I read that in the catalog I have... but just checked it and the catalog has no radius spec at all. I don’t know where I got that TBH.
On GuIld's site:
Y'gotta scroll way down to the bottom of each model's page to the spec sheet, fretboard radii're posted there, but yes, on a couple of spot checks, the imports are universally 16", the domestics 12".