Guild resos - school me

Mr. Lumbergh

Reaction score
I've had a real hankering lately for a resonator. I know that Guild used to make them before the Fender acquisition, but I see that Cordoba hasn't resumed production. I do see them come up used occasionally though, and I just wanted to get some thoughts on them from some you who may have played them. What are your thouughts, and how would they compare to some of the recent Gretsch offerings? National is way out of my price range, so that would be my next choice.

Bernie

Reaction score
Tony Polecastro reviewed one when he was working for Music Villa : it was a square-neck though if I remember correctly, but it really sounded great...Looked new too, and that was about 3/4 years ago I'd say.
Unless Tony plays outstandingly well, it did sound better than the Chinese Gretsch I know of, I think...Can't tell about the Nationals, but the Guild sounded like one of those that make you feel like you don't need anything else or so...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9-WM_aoSvM

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Resos were made in New Hartford for a couple years. People here seemed to like them.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know they got a good reception from the reso community, but they had a tough time in the marketplace. They were more high end than the Gretsch imports, being made in the US, but were competing against the long established Dobros and Nationals. So, they kind of fell into the crack. And then Fender sold Guild and they died before they really had a chance.

I got one of the Gretschs to see if I liked reso playing. I never connected with it, or got the knack of the slide. If I did, I would have been seeking out one of the Guild roundnecks.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I own an R30 round neck from New Hartford, and love it. It's really the nicest reso I've ever seen, with a beautiful sunburst finish over solid mahogany.

15148159434_e56841318a_b.jpg

My cousin Woody Pines (who plays a National) liked it even better than his own, so that must mean something. Also, Jason McIntyre (whose signature is under the top of almost all the Orpheums that were built) told me that of all the guitars he made in New Hartford, he had more fun making these than any of the others.

They're not easy to come by, but if you're patient one may come along. As far as I know, these are the only resonator guitars that Guild ever made. Good luck!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That it is, Sandy. And, that's a great story about Mr. McIntyre. I didn't know that.

Mr. L., there are really very few of these around these parts (LTG) and probably worldwide... If you've got a lead on one and you like playing the reso, go for it.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There were two different series of Resonators from New Hartford.

The first laminated wood series were first shown at NAMM in January 2012, they were available around summer 2012.
The second "S" series with solid wood came out around summer 2013.

Jackson Quinn wrote about that topic: "It's cool to have a reso with solid woods, I'm sure it'll give the sound a little more shimmer and body, but as I understand it most high-end resonators (biscuit bridge resonators anyway; I can't speak for high-end spidercones, as they are mostly small shops) are built using laminates. In a National Reso-Phonic informational video, they explained that using laminates is often better for building resonator guitars, because the body is essentially a speaker cabinet designed to house the cone, which acts as a speaker and produces most of the sound. The materials used in the body color the sound in various ways, but as the strings drive the cone directly, that's where most of the sound is coming from. So the goal becomes, "What's the best material to house a vibrating piece of metal without impeding the vibration, but can also stand up to that level of assault?" Laminate woods are generally stronger and less prone to warping, so that's an option. Or, of course, more metal. That's how I understand it, anyway.
National is considered by many to be the best in the business, and even their high-end "El Trovador" has a laminate top and back (I believe the sides are solid). That was the spec that I got from them when I called them a year or so ago, anyway. It might have changed.
My point (finally) is that solid woods may be good or bad in this context. I wouldn't worry about it with a resonator; the cone makes most of the sound. People are always talking about how their low-budget overseas-made reso sounds ten times better with, say, a Quarterman cone. And if I'm right, and they are generally made with laminates, then they're made that way for a reason.
"

All Guild models were made using 9.5" (R-30) or 10.5" (the other 3) hand-spun National® cones.

The first series were following 4, the wood was all laminated:

R-30:
"The Guild® R-30 is a round-neck resonator guitar with all-mahogany construction and the exclusive Reflect-O-Voice system, which consists of an internal sound reflecting plate and unique six-point open soundwell that provide maximum resonance and volume without becoming harsh. The result is pure and open sound with exceptional presence and remarkable string-to-string balance.
Other features include a hand-spun National® cone, “biscuit” bridge, 1 3/4” bone nut, rosewood fingerboard with pearl dot inlays, rosewood headcap with pearl Chesterfield logo, and nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Available in Vintage Sunburst."

R-33E:
"The Guild® R-33E is a square-neck resonator guitar with all-mahogany construction and the exclusive Reflect-O-Voice system, which consists of an internal sound reflecting plate and unique six-point open soundwell that provide maximum resonance and volume without becoming harsh. The result is pure and open sound with exceptional presence and remarkable string-to-string balance, especially when combined with the R-33E’s hand-spun National® cone and spider bridge system.
Other features include a built-in Fishman® Nashville Series resonator pickup system (designed specifically for spider-style bridges to provide consistent and accurate sound reproduction), open sound ports, 1 7/8” bone nut, rosewood fingerboard with pearl dot inlays, rosewood headcap with pearl Chesterfield logo, and nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Available in Natural."

R-35E:
"The Guild® R-35E is a square-neck resonator guitar with a flame maple body and the exclusive Reflect-O-Voice system, Which consists of an internal sound reflecting plate and unique six-point open soundwell that provide maximum resonance and volume without becoming harsh. The result is pure and open sound with exceptional presence and remarkable string-to-string balance, especially when combined with the R-35E’s hand-spun National® cone and spider bridge system.
Other features include a built-in Fishman® Nashville Series resonator pickup system (designed specifically for spider-style bridges to provide consistent and accurate sound reproduction), open sound ports, 1 7/8” bone nut, bound rosewood fingerboard with pearl dot inlays, rosewood headcap with pearl Chesterfield logo, and nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Available in Vintage Sunburst."

R-37E:
"The Guild® R-37E is a square-neck resonator guitar with a beautiful flame koa body and the exclusive Reflect-O-Voice system, which consists of an internal sound reflecting plate and unique six-point open soundwell that provide maximum resonance and volume without becoming harsh. The result is pure, open sound with exceptional presence and remarkable string-to-string balance, especially when combined with the R-37E’s hand-spun National® cone and spider bridge system.
Other features include a built-in Fishman® Nashville Series resonator pickup system (designed specifically for spider-style bridges to provide consistent and accurate sound reproduction), open sound ports, 1 7/8” bone nut, bound striped ebony fingerboard with pearl and abalone block inlays, bound headstock with pearl Chesterfield logo, and nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Available in Natural."

The second series added a "S" to the part number, also the 10 digit FMIC part numbers had changed, a "0" or "1" was replaced by a "5":

R-30 = 385 301 0835
R-30S = 385 305 0835

R-33E = 385 330 7821
R-33SE = 385 335 7821

R-35E = 385 350 7835
R-35SE = 385 355 7835

R-37E = 385 370 7821
R-37SE = 385 375 7821

Another R-30 video:

Ralf

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
School's open! Ralf is headmaster! :) Thanks for elaborating with all that great into, Ralf. That's why LTG is such a GREAT resource!

Mr. Lumbergh

Reaction score
Tony Polecastro reviewed one when he was working for Music Villa : it was a square-neck though if I remember correctly, but it really sounded great...Looked new too, and that was about 3/4 years ago I'd say.
Unless Tony plays outstandingly well, it did sound better than the Chinese Gretsch I know of, I think...Can't tell about the Nationals, but the Guild sounded like one of those that make you feel like you don't need anything else or so...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9-WM_aoSvM
I might be able to spare Gretsch money. It'll be a few years before I'll have National money.
I saw a demo of the R30 and loved the sound that came out of it, plus, seemed like a great excuse to put another Guild in the herd.

I own an R30 round neck from New Hartford, and love it. It's really the nicest reso I've ever seen, with a beautiful sunburst finish over solid mahogany.

15148159434_e56841318a_b.jpg

My cousin Woody Pines (who plays a National) liked it even better than his own, so that must mean something. Also, Jason McIntyre (whose signature is under the top of almost all the Orpheums that were built) told me that of all the guitars he made in New Hartford, he had more fun making these than any of the others.

They're not easy to come by, but if you're patient one may come along. As far as I know, these are the only resonator guitars that Guild ever made. Good luck!
That's exactly what I'm talking about. :cool-new:
That it is, Sandy. And, that's a great story about Mr. McIntyre. I didn't know that.

Mr. L., there are really very few of these around these parts (LTG) and probably worldwide... If you've got a lead on one and you like playing the reso, go for it.
That's a bummer. I thought maybe they weren't quite as rare as they seem to be.
All Guild models were made using 9.5" (R-30) or 10.5" (the other 3) hand-spun National® cones.
That certainly explains why they sound so good! They use the same cone as the big-time.
School's open! Ralf is headmaster! :) Thanks for elaborating with all that great into, Ralf. That's why LTG is such a GREAT resource!
Stimmt! Vielen Dank Ralf!
And thank you everyone who responded. I'll be trolling for an R30B...

Bernie

Reaction score
What about list prices (at the time) ?

I'm not convinced by that talking about laminate woods being more appropriate...If the tone was given mostly by the cone itself, would there be that much difference between all metal resonators and wood resonators ? I like the wood resonators better for now : maybe koa is not the best possible choice since the guitar played by Tony Polecastro on the video above sounds a bit "narrow" after all...Still it is very consistent, and I believe solid woods have this that laminates do not have (or not as much)...I'd definitely go for an SxxE. Unfortunately they do not have a round-neck with built-in pickup - whereas Gretsch does...

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What about list prices (at the time) ?
January 1, 2012 pricelist:
R-30 US$ 2,299.99 MSRP
R-33E US$ 2,599.99 MSRP
R-35E US$ 2,799.99 MSRP
R-37E US$ 3,199.99 MSRP

February 1, 2013 pricelist:
R-30 US$ 2,999.99 MSRP
R-33E US$ 3,399.99 MSRP
R-35E US$ 3,699.99 MSRP
R-37E US$ 3,999.99 MSRP

February 1, 2014 pricelist:
R-30S US$ 2,999.99 MSRP
R-33SE US$ 3,399.99 MSRP
R-35SE US$ 3,699.99 MSRP
R-37SE US$ 3,999.99 MSRP

Looks like in February 2013 they already had the all-solid-wood construction planned (but not mentioned yet) as the pricing increased sharply from 2012 but didn't increase further in 2014.

The European recommended pricing was in the January 20, 2014 pricelist:

€ 2,310,00 (without VAT)
€ 2,420.00 (without VAT)
€ 2,530.00 (without VAT)
€ 2.750.00 (without VAT)

VAT in Germany is 19% on top in that case.

Ralf

Last edited:

Bernie

Reaction score
These resonators are expensive then...Thanks Ralf for price lists (I was willing to get a rough idea only, but we'll all like this I bet).
The Gretsch - made in Thecoslovaquia (or whatever it has now become), not China I think, are much cheaper : around €700+ new for an acoustic-electric in France (Vat included)...

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
These resonators are expensive then...
Yeah... More than I thought I'm afraid. :grumpy:
Mind those prices are "Manufacturer Suggestes Retail Pricing", so they sold significantly lower in shops. Example from Reno's Music in Fishers,IN:
February 1, 2013 pricelist vs. offered new in October 2013.
R-33E US$ 3,399.99 MSRP vs. US$ 1,999
R-35E US$ 3,699.99 MSRP vs. US$ 2,199
R-37E US$ 3,999.99 MSRP vs. US$ 2,599
But yes, compared to a Euro 700 guitar no match...
Ralf