GAD Buys a Relic

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm one of the first people to say that I think relics are dumb. I've always said that if I want a worn guitar then it needs to be that puts that wear on there. I get why people like them but they're just not for me. I even prefer mint examples of vintage guitars for the same reason. Don't get me wrong - there's nothing like a nice worn-in guitar. I just want it to be worn in by me.

There's one exception, and I finally caved into my lust and shelled out the money for a guitar that someone took great pains to abuse. This is that guitar:

5D3_1998_1600.jpg

This is an EVH Striped guitar that started its life looking like this:

EVH-Striped.png

Judah (they're on Reverb and Facebook) then takes it and does whatever it is they do to abuse the guitar into looking like Eddie's original Frankenstein. They apparently work to not upset Fender which is why the EVH logo stays on the headstock. They also do this to other guitars including all of the other Striped-series EVH models.

More pics:

5D3_2000_1600.jpg

5D3_2039_1600.jpg

5D3_2051_1600.jpg

This is the most expensive guitar that's ever come to me without a case. What's weird is it's also the first "relic" guitar I've ever bought and I feel like I don't need to baby it because, well just look at the damn thing. I had to go find a luggage strap because I can't use any of my guitar straps. Didn't think that through. LOL.

BTW did you know that "relic" is a Fender Trademark? This guitar is "distressed" so as not to piss of Fender.

My only real complaint is that the Wolfgang pickup, while sounding good, isn't bright enough for early EVH tones so I went and ordered myself an SD Custom '78. We'll see how that works out. I'm also going to replace the Floyd block with a brass block and lower the spring tension a bit, but those are just personal preference things. With the guitar cranked through my Axe-FX III only the most die-hard EVH fans would complain about anything. Well, maybe my playing...

No, it's not as accurate as the $20,000 custom shop model. It's probably 90% the guitar for 10% the price, though. This is also about the most fun I've had with a guitar in a long-*** time. It's just a blast to play.

jcwu

Reaction score
I'm hearing squealing pinched harmonics just looking at the photos. Awesome.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm hearing squealing pinched harmonics just looking at the photos. Awesome.

Yeah, my poor wife. :adoration:

We all grieve in our own way. I happen to subscribe to the "volume plus Floyd Rose abuse" method of healing. I sure hope she likes Van Halen, 'cause she's being bombarded with it non-stop.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I love it! Very cool! The only VH song I know is "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" - maybe my playing would be better on that guitar - or at least it would seem like it!!

walrus

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I was in the "are you kidding me?!" camp on relics when Fender (actually Vince Cunetto at first) started making 'em. Then I played a few. The thing about those guitars, early on anyway, is they got the finish right. As in thin. The antiquing, as far as I was concerned, was something you had to put up with to reduce the amount of lacquer. I ended up with two of 'em: a Nocaster and a Mary Kay. Ended up keeping the Tele, cranky neck (for quite awhile anyway) and all, but stupidly trading away the Strat. Took me 21 years to find another one in the same ballpark: a 1982 early JV series '62 reissue, from Fender Japan, that I got last year.

-Dave-

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
oh for the love of GOD!! I had to search through 18 pillows to find my keyboard to respond!!!!!

I like it. I've only played an electric one or two time so I really can't say but it's pretty. I have nothing else to say.....

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
oh for the love of GOD!! I had to search through 18 pillows to find my keyboard to respond!!!!!

I like it. I've only played an electric one or two time so I really can't say but it's pretty. I have nothing else to say.....

Now I have to ask. Do you know what it is? Where it's from? Who's iconic guitar it's simulating? :adoration:

b63484b123a69246bb2de06710e6bd1f.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Now I have to ask. Do you know what it is? Where it's from? Who's iconic guitar it's simulating? :adoration:
Given what I've seen of Tom's usual tastes in music, from his postings, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even recognize the photo.
Tom, from your days as a "horse person" outside of Hollywood, remember the guy that married Valerie Bertinelli?
THAT'S him.
:friendly_wink:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool cool cool! Eddie was just pure genius for the time and totally encapsulated the spirit of 80s rock for me. I bet that guitar is loads of dive-bomby, fret-tapping fun.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Given what I've seen of Tom's usual tastes in music, from his postings, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even recognize the photo.
Tom, from your days as a "horse person" outside of Hollywood, remember the guy that married Valerie Bertinelli?
THAT'S him.
:friendly_wink:
That's a super great hint, Al!! Yet I still don't know...... maybe i'm just tired.......

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Eddire Van Halen, guitarist of the Mighty Van Halen.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I hear EVH had his guitars setup with really high action.