Basement studio: How to treat a low ceiling?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning on converting a space in my basement as a music room for playing, recording and mixing. The space is 19'x13'6''x6'2''. Yes, the ceiling is quite low. The 2x10” joist are exposed and about 12” apart. I would like to treat the ceiling as best I can for sound absorption and soundproofing. I understand that having a low ceiling does limit my options and my expectations are realistic… especially in terms of soundproofing. My objectives in order of importance are:

1. Absorb reflections off the ceiling
2. Maximize the impression of ceiling height
3. Reduce sound levels escaping to the upper level above the basement.

I won't be closing the ceiling with drywall as that would lower it even further and create a lot of unwanted reflections, not to mention making it feel even more claustrophobic. My plan is to fill the void in between the joists about 2/3 of the way to help create the illusion of height all while having the function of an integrated ceiling cloud for absorption and increase sound proofing.

Here is what I plan to do:

soundproofing.jpg

1. First, I would put resilient channels directly onto the subfloor.
2. Then, I would add a layer of 3/4” Sonopan (in between the joists), leaving a 1/8” gap on each side so that the Sonopan does not touch the joists. I would then fill the 1/8” gaps with acoustic caulk.
3. Add a layer of 5/8" drywall on top of the Sonopan leaving a gap of 1/8” on either side. Fill the 1/8” void with acoustic caulk.
4. Add a layer of Rockwool Safe & Sound (3”) on top of the drywall.
5. Cap it off with a layer of fabric on top of the Rockwool (framed with 1”x2”)

I foresee that this would fill about 2/3 of the cavity in between the joists, so it leaves me with a bit of room to give the impression of added height, which is what I want. I’m pretty sure it would be a good solution for sound absorption and reduce reflections from the ceiling as much as possible. How good will it be at reducing the sound levels heard on the upper level remains to be heard.

I would like to know what any of you think about this ceiling treatment solution given my constraints and objectives and if anyone has attempted anything similar to this and how it worked out for you.

Your comments and recommendations are welcome!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

I am not acoustic expert - but have been few times in projects involving acoustic insulation. Quick & absolutely hunch-like feeling is, that what you plan might help high- and perhaps midrange. Both in room sound as less reflections and isolation to upstairs. But I´m afraid it will do nothing to low range. Bass notes are going to hit those joists and be transferred to the ceiling/floor above.

And while the ceiling / upstairs floor is most likely connected to the walls - then you should keep the sound off the walls, too. If not, there is a straight connection.

Is this your home basement? And above your living quarters? If yes, then I would concentrate on getting nice acoustics in the room and handle the isolation by negotiations with family members.

All best luck - keep us informed.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My first impression is that looks like a lot of work! I would look into having someone spray closed-cell foam in between the joists.

6'2" is very low - my 6'4" friends, of which I have several, would have an issue.

Is there any way you could borrow an idea from our guitar-building friends and "scallop" the floor joists with a saber saw to increase the headroom?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Hello

I am not acoustic expert - but have been few times in projects involving acoustic insulation. Quick & absolutely hunch-like feeling is, that what you plan might help high- and perhaps midrange. Both in room sound as less reflections and isolation to upstairs. But I´m afraid it will do nothing to low range. Bass notes are going to hit those joists and be transferred to the ceiling/floor above.

Hey Nuuska!

Yes, I figure my ceiling treatment won't have much impact on low frequencies... if I can reduce overall sound levels by 30-40%, I'd be happy with that. My main objective is to make the acoustics in the room as good as possible for playing, recording and mixing. I've been reading up on the subject, and in a small room or a room with low ceilings, my best bet seems to be to deaden the room (make it dry) or in my case eliminate reflections from the ceiling. I plan on using base traps in the corners and acoustic panels on the walls to absorb/disperse reflections. My floor will be hard wood with a large area carpet... I don't want the room to be 100% dead, which would be great for recording, but not so great just for playing. As of now, I've played in the room untreated and it doesn't sound to bad actually. So I'm confident I can get it to be pretty decent.

Thanks for the input!

ClydeTower

Reaction score
My first impression is that looks like a lot of work! I would look into having someone spray closed-cell foam in between the joists.

6'2" is very low - my 6'4" friends, of which I have several, would have an issue.

You're right, it will be a lot of work! Up here in Canada, you got to have something to keep you busy during the long winter months :) I've had this project in mind for a while, and its time!
The ceiling height isn't ideal, but it's what I have, so I have to make the best of it. I'm 5'11 so its acceptable and I'm sitting down 90% of the time so it will be ok.

Is there any way you could borrow an idea from our guitar-building friends and "scallop" the floor joists with a saber saw to increase the headroom?

You know that's funny, I actually thought about that! Actually, I first thought about digging out the basement but that would cost like 50K$... in the words of Donnie Brasco: "Forget about it!"
I then thought if it would be possible to scallop the beams... not a good idea... that's the kind of idea you come up with at 1:30AM on your third scotch.

The best solution is to treat the void in between the joists and make the room sound as good as possible. If I can increase soundproofing in the process and decrease sound levels escaping to the upper levels, that's just an added bonus.

When I'm ready, I think I will start a "journey" post on building a home studio... haven't seen one here on LTG.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi

One IMPORTANT thing !!!

Forget %, when talking about sound levels. Learn dB.

SPL = Sound Pressure Level

Halving SPL = -3dB = half the energy
Doubling SPL = +3dB = twice the energy

Usually, what people think is halving SPL is actually -10dB - so if you wish to achieve that "30-40%" - whatever that actually is - you may have to reduce at least 10-20dB.

So it is a lot of energy to absorb. And remember, that the slightest hole/crack in the isolation will "ruin the hole thing". And if there needs to be a sound-blocking gap somewhere, it means a TOTAL cut - even if it is only 1mm.

All in all plenty of work and things to consider. Fortunately these days there is plenty of good info in internet - just avoid all BS . . .

And then there is the door, windows, air ducts etc . . .

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Hi

One IMPORTANT thing !!!

Forget %, when talking about sound levels. Learn dB.

SPL = Sound Pressure Level

Halving SPL = -3dB = half the energy
Doubling SPL = +3dB = twice the energy

Usually, what people think is halving SPL is actually -10dB - so if you wish to achieve that "30-40%" - whatever that actually is - you may have to reduce at least 10-20dB.

So it is a lot of energy to absorb. And remember, that the slightest hole/crack in the isolation will "ruin the hole thing". And if there needs to be a sound-blocking gap somewhere, it means a TOTAL cut - even if it is only 1mm.

All in all plenty of work and things to consider. Fortunately these days there is plenty of good info in internet - just avoid all BS . . .

And then there is the door, windows, air ducts etc . . .

Ok got it! You know your stuff :)
I'm gonna give the ceiling a good inspection and see if it makes sense to attempt any kind of isolation. As far as the walls go, 2 are concrete, no windows and the 2 others will be treated with the same material as the ceiling. There is one door.

What do you think of Rod Gervais's book: https://www.amazon.ca/Home-Recording-Studio-Build-Like/dp/143545717X ?

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi

Never heard of that book before. My main occupation is F.O.H. mixing guy / roadie - then I work on reel-to-reel tape recorders - used to work at Studer in CH in my youth. Fix analog gear and loudspeakers.

I just became involved in few acoustic projects in my years - and by then I had to listen a lot to those who knew more - and it was good learning.

If I had that book here - I would give it my time - but I´m not going to order it . . .

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Wear a bump hat.

Ralph

Ha ha ha!!! Very funny... :)
But come this spring, this basement studio will kick a$$!

I have decided however not to do any isolation... not worth the time and money for what little gain I would get. I will focus all my resources on treatment to get this space sounding as good as it can be. Will update when the work starts :)

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ha ha ha!!! Very funny... :)
But come this spring, this basement studio will kick a$$!

I have decided however not to do any isolation... not worth the time and money for what little gain I
would get. I will focus all my resources on treatment to get this space sounding as good as it can be. Will update when the work starts :)
IMHO the direction you are heading, now, will yield the most for the least and the "most" will be very very good.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you put tapers along all the joists, that would reflect it off and not allow it to transfer as much. Think about all those lines and angles on the stealth fighter. I would be in the camp of, " Something is better than nothing " approach. I don't think it needs to be an airtight covering to make a noticeable difference in what the people above would hear.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I'll say! Luckily, no one that tall in my immediate family or friends. It's my personal space, so it works for me :)