Guild Peregrine Discussion

Reaction score
Hey guys! after reading thru much of the Peregrine discussions I wanted to show photos of this guitar i desperately seek and wonder if it strikes any chords in terms of questions in regards to the following....
1. based on the serial # this is a 10/1999 model from Nashville, correct?
2. it has a chesterfield logo on what seems to be a custom shop ( G Shield ) non standard body.

Too my knowledge the standards did not have binding or abalone trim around the body

3. this is the first and only version I've seen with what looks like to be a transparent rosewood headstock with the chesterfield

4. There are several colors that revolve around the s7ce's. What is your take on the color of this? Trans Red, Cherry Red? something different?

Take a look at the photos, let me know your thoughts bc its interesting. On top of that, there is/was a promotional photo of this guitar which I read is not always the case of what we may see come it hitting the shelves, but below is the promotional photo and the actual guitar itself.
It was sold back in 2001 on craigslist but never took down the sellers email to inquire more unfortunately.

thanks for taking a look guys!!

Brian

3956010_md_2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

7ac5_3_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

[/IMG][/URL][/IMG]
90c2_3_2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

8801_3_2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

a899_3_2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

9cd5_3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2169_2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2154.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
I had one of the less interesting "standard" models - did not have the abalone
binding or the bound neck, but it was a great playing, great sounding
guitar.

There's been one at GC for months, surprised it's not been nabbed yet,
but the IME used guitar market seems down-ish lately.
The GC Peregine is not a Custom Shop guitar, but still may be worth a look.
GC has a reasonable return policy.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Guild/2004-Peregrine-Custom-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc

Mine:

499Buo.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi Brian:
According to this thread,
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...ld-peregrine-serial-number-prs-309-0004/page2
yes, it was made in 10/99 at the Guild Nashville Custom Shop:
Welcome to LTG. Your Peregrine was made at Guild's Custom Shop in Nashville in October of year 2000. The last four digits refer to the date of production. The first and fourth of these last 4 numbers in reverse refer to the year of production. The middle two digits refer to the month. For example: 5077019 would date to January 1997. I am not sure if the month was when the instrument was actually finished or when the serial number was picked.
Ralf
Ralf's an extremely reliable source.
I think he and maybe a couple of other guys are second only to Hans when it comes to spec and dating info like that.
Other questions re headstock logo, binding, etc, answered here in post #3:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?151773-Peregrine-History/page2

Color is probably Red Transparent, mentioned as one of the standard colors for a "Standard" in that thread, as well.

Re abalone binding on guitar with a chesterfield, seems those were supposed to get G-shields, yes that is a bit of head-scratcher, but only a minor one as Guild has come to be understood by us as notorious for going off-spec on a whim.
Who knows even, being the Custom Shop, maybe somebody actually special-ordered it that way?
Or it could be that at some point it was decided to start putting Chesterfields on the "Standards" to help distinguish them from the Customs and Quilted tops.
Note since yours is a true Custom Shop version, I read those specs as meaning that body and neck binding were supposed to be standard on all versions but only the Customs and Quilteds got the abalone.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Very nice! I always loved the look of those...

walrus

PittPastor

Reaction score
I have nothing constructive to add... but I will say this anyway: Sweet Mother of Pearl that's a cool looking Guild!

What are the six holes in the back for?

a899_3_2.jpg

Do the strings get fed through that?

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have nothing constructive to add... but I will say this anyway: Sweet Mother of Pearl that's a cool looking Guild!

What are the six holes in the back for?

Do the strings get fed through that?

That is correct. No bridge pins on this model. And the compartment below is for the 9 volt battery.

PittPastor

Reaction score
That is correct. No bridge pins on this model. And the compartment below is for the 9 volt battery.

I really like that idea. Hate pins. Of course, those aren't as bad as tying off classicals, or trying to get the strings fed into my Savoy. I guess I'm just a wimp when it comes to changing strings!

So does this play more like an electric? What would you compare it to awagner?

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've been curious about these, as well.

I just checked on the GC one. It's been marked down on "Final Clearance" to $950, but that means that you can't return it. And the GC employee also told me it was already sold and returned once before last summer. Reason: Buyer didn't like it.

Just couldn't make myself pull the trigger.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It is really comfortable to play, since it is small, lightweight, and prefers light strings (.10s or .11s). Similar to the F65CE, but no feedback issues to deal with. I think it is best suited for fingerpicking, but that is just my opinion. Of course, nothing beats a real acoustic guitar, but this one is a lot of fun, it sounds great plugged in, and it is great for gigging, given its small size and onboard volume and tone sliders. I am actually playing it out for the first time this weekend.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
There was a group of custom Peregrines at NAMM one year, all different...a few of them have shown up for sale over the years.

It's meant to be a stage guitar minus the feedback issues.

The bridge is commonly known as a 'string through'...supposedly more sustain/break angle...and yes, easier to change strings.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
There was a group of custom Peregrines at NAMM one year, all different...a few of them have shown up for sale over the years.
Could explain that chesterfield headstock.
It's meant to be a stage guitar minus the feedback issues.
Precisely, like a semi-solid Songbird.
Guild endorser Johnny Rzeznik is credited (don't know how accurately) with causing Guild to create the model and one of his came up for sale a while back, complete with Letter of Authenticity and everything, we saw it here. Can't find it now though, but it was in the "Ebay" subforum.
Think GooGoo Dolls "Name" and "Iris" at stadium-level volumes, when the originals were recorded with S4ce:
dt7kgnhejumvritfkomm.jpg

In fact, thinking about it, we saw one of his guitars that was a Songbird without a soundhole a while back, perhaps that led to the S7ce.

Last edited:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've been curious about these, as well.

I just checked on the GC one. It's been marked down on "Final Clearance" to $950, but that means that you can't return it. And the GC employee also told me it was already sold and returned once before last summer. Reason: Buyer didn't like it.

Just couldn't make myself pull the trigger.

Update and upcoming NGD...

Called Guitar Center back and spoke with someone a bit further up the food chain. The "Final Clearance" thing did not apply to this guitar, and so it carries the 14-day return policy that I require to buy almost anything on the web.

The GC guy explained that the guitar had indeed been previously purchased and returned, but that it was done by a customer who often does this. Working in a guitar shop, I could fully appreciate that. We see this sort of thing, too. They had also marked it down again. So the price, even including tax & shipping, was pretty sweet.

So I did pull the trigger and it should be here next week. Always wanted to try an S7CE and I'll report my impressions.

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats Dave! Looking forward to the NGD - I wondered if someone here got it, noticed it was gone yesterday.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice ! I am always intrigued by "stage" guitars. Rick Turner has his Renaissance like for steel or nylon, but, they cost a lot more than this one.