Incoming NGD: ‘90 D30

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've also noticed that the depth of the D30 is about an eighth of an inch deeper than my other dreads.
(and)
The depth of the D30 body is noticeably deeper than my D40 and D50. For some reason, my D40 has the slimmest depth of all my guitars. It is so comfortable to play but has a great, huge sound. My D30 is one BIG dread!

Hans has explained a reason for body depth variance before:
In Westerly the body bucks were not of a uniform depth, could vary as much as 1/4" from "spec".
(Pretty sure I remember that right***)
So when they sanded down the sides flush with edges of the bucks, in prep for gluing on the back, there was variation from one instrument to the next, and if one instrument was 1/4 over and one 1/4 under,it could be as much as 1/2" ("!!!", ***and why it stuck with me when I first read it); but that would be an extreme case.
So an 1/8" is nothing by that standard.

naveed211

Reaction score
(and)

In Westerly the body bucks were not of a uniform depth, could vary as much as 1/4" from "spec".
So when they sanded down the sides flush with edges of the bucks, in prep for gluing on the back, there was variation from one instrument to the next, and if one instrument was 1/4 over and one 1/4 under,it could be as much as 1/2" ("!!!", ***and why it stuck with me when I first read it); but that would be an extreme case.

Good information, thanks.

I got the guitar on my lunch break (lightning fast shipping and super well packed by CME). I haven’t been able to fully put it through it’s paces, but I did sit in my car, tune it up and do some quick finger picking before going back to work.

Initial thoughts, I was quite pleased with the finger picking. It seemed snappier and more responsive than the maple jumbos I’ve had (JF30, JF65, F40), and more lively than the DCE5 I had. Plays great, was setup perfectly.

The true test will be strumming, but this very well may be my favorite acoustic I’ve owned.

naveed211

Reaction score
Just did some strumming. Nice, balanced tone. Bass is present but not boomy. Bright without being plinky. Very articulate.

It is in really good condition, though the crack in the bottom middle of the guitar seems more noticeable in person than it was in picture. No cracks or chips in the binding like I see on a lot of Guilds. Overall quite clean for a nearly 30 year old guitar. In any event, Guilds are meant to be played!

I’m a happy camper!

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool, thanks for the update, sounds like a keeper!

Thinking about the DCE5 reference - if you ever get a chance to try a DCE3, it's
pretty much a D30 with a cutaway - very different sound than the D30 but
enjoyable on it's own.

Re depth - need to check mine but I'm betting it may
be the largest body depth of all my dreads - and heavy too!
And really, really orange...

ZDvgPQG.jpg

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
The '97 D30, depth measured across the width of bottom of the guitar at widest point, is 5.05", weight is 5 lbs 12.7 oz.

The orange DCE3 (not sure what year, serial #AD030159), depth measured at same spot is 5.24", weight is 6 lbs 5.7 oz.

The bodies on both guitars are deeper than these measurements indicate, as the measurements don't account for
the outward projection of the arched backs.
Either way, they probably won't ever be mistaken for anything other than Westerly Guilds:proud:

Naveed, interested to know how your new D30 compares with width and weight.

Last edited:

tarheelguild

Reaction score
(and)

Thanks for posting this info. I will have to get out the tape measure and see what the actual depth is on my D30 and the others. I know my D40 has the slimmest depth of all of them, hence it is very comfortable to play!
Also, can someone please tell me (again) how to post photos of LTG? I wish it was as easy as simply uploading them like I do on the Guild FaceBook sites I'm on! Thanks!
Tony

'84 D40
'87 D50
'96 D4
'98 D25 12
'98 D30 AB
'00 Taylor 414ce

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this info. I will have to get out the tape measure and see what the actual depth is on my D30 and the others. I know my D40 has the slimmest depth of all of them, hence it is very comfortable to play!
Also, can someone please tell me (again) how to post photos of LTG? I wish it was as easy as simply uploading them like I do on the Guild FaceBook sites I'm on! Thanks!
Tony

'84 D40
'87 D50
'96 D4
'98 D25 12
'98 D30 AB
'00 Taylor 414ce

That's post photos ON LTG! sorry! ; )

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Are there any photo sites that are free? Photo Bucket is no longer free and I don't really want to spend $$ to post photos here.
thanks again all,
Tony

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
THG, go to the image in imgur - to the right of the image where link options are listed,
use the BBCode option, click the blue button on the right to copy the information,
and paste it into your message here.

VwueEBI.jpg

Last edited:

naveed211

Reaction score
THG, go to the image in imgur - to the right of the image where link options are listed,
use the BBCode option, click the blue button on the right to copy the information,

VwueEBI.jpg

Holy smokes! Look at that back!

tarheelguild

Reaction score

VwueEBI.jpg

Thanks Bonn. I will try it!