Huss and Dalton MJ Custom Natural

Brucebubs

Reaction score
My efforts to buy a good Gibson SJ-200 seems destined to never happen.
A couple of days after cancelling a transaction - there was no saddle height on the Gibson - I found a listing for a 'mint' Huss and Dalton MJ Custom here in Australia.
2010 build imported new here by a guitar store in Canberra and purchased by the store manager himself in 2012.
Lots of communication and plenty of good pictures later we reached a price.
Arrived today with all original paperwork and case ... and it truly is 'mint'.

CF8POBih.jpg
lo75wjCh.jpg

6xJxrGvh.jpg

Quite a light build, excellent volume and sustain and a superb tonal balance.
I'm very, very pleased with it.

Bernie

Reaction score
Huss & Dalton seem to make outstanding guitars (so rare here I never got a chance to try any unfortunately - and why I wrote "seem"-)...This one looks like a Jumbo with a shape that reminds me of an OM with maple back & sides. Pretty much like an SJ 200 with this maple...So I bet it must be a very good choice as you seem to like - very - good SJ200s.
Smaller makes like this one or Santa Cruz often end up making better guitars probably than the bigger makes on their standard models at least : so you should be fulfilled hopefully by this one. Congrats and most of all ENJOY !

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
H&D are kind of local. I'm glad, and impressed, that you found one in Australia. Enjoy.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm very, very pleased with it.

Looks quite nice! 16" lower bout? Too bad about the lack of an SJ200 in your region. I also dreamed about one of those. Then I got an F-50R. I don't dream about an SJ200 anymore. No F-50's down under?

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
From one H & D owner to another, congratulations! She is a beauty!

Huss & Dalton are a (last I knew) 11-man shop in Staunton, VA. They do about 450 pieces a year: MJ's, Dreads, OM's, OOO's, OO's, O's and two banjo models.

The shape of the MJ looks a little exaggerated as it is possibly more like a J-180 than the 200...like the Everly Bros's guitars...and there is an Albert Lee version
of that style guitar as well.

Yours is absolutely a stunner!

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
I grew up in the town where they are built, Staunton, VA.

I have owned four, a TD-M, TD-R, 000 12-fret, and a Crossroads DS. All very fine instruments.

All sold, because, well, I'm fickle.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't think I've ever had the chance to play an H&D - congrats Bruce, that is one gorgeous guitar!

Brucebubs

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments everyone.
It's not a huge jumbo - it has a 16" lower bout and 4 7/8" depth - the exact same specs, but different shape, as my Martin JDP II.

ce9QXYIh.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow!! What a beautiful guitar!! I'm impressed. They make some REALLY nice guitars, no denying that!! Congrats!!
:encouragement::encouragement: